Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Doing Better

I've been so overwhelmed by all of the comments about Hershey. They've been such a comfort to me! Thank you for your thoughtfulness. If nothing else, it assures me that I'm not off my rocker for mourning a dog; a whole slew of you can relate to the very feelings we've been dealing with! That alone seems to help.

It's been a much better day today. I haven't had to escape to the porch so the kids won't find me crying yet again. I've cried throughout the day, but been able to keep working through the tears. I cried when I changed the sheets and Hershey didn't come running into the room to rub all over the bed. I never could figure out why, but he always got so excited when I made the bed or changed the sheets. He'd jump up there and flop on his back and push himself around in circles and wallow all over the place, having a grand time. (For the sake of our guests, I always prevented him from wallowing in the fresh sheets as I put them on! But Mom, I'm sure he wallowed in yours. Ha!) I cried when I grabbed a granola bar out of the pantry and no little brown furball came rushing from a far corner of the house because he heard the crinkling sound of the wrapper. And I keep crying when food hits the kitchen floor and just lays there until somebody comes to clean it up. We used to just call his name or whistle for him or tap our foot toward the food. You really don't realize how many different ways a dog is part of your life. It's a whole lot more than just feeding him and playing with him on occasion, that's for sure! I'm able to laugh at most of the memories of Hershey. He was a funny, funny dog. But I seldom laugh without choking up and shedding a few tears.

Okay, there's my dog talk for the day. ;-)

We've been doing lots of school and it's taking up a great deal of my life nowadays. But that's okay. It's either that or clean the house, right?! I've been staying on top of the house pretty well lately, too, so that's good. I finally got us all the way moved back into our closet today. I'm not sure why that took so long except for my extreme lack of motivation the past few days. I have a big bag of clothes to donate, including a sweatshirt I've had for 18 years. WEIRD. It's in like-new condition so I couldn't just throw it out, but I never wear it anymore. I just hope somebody up here isn't opposed to wearing a shirt that has "IDAHO" plastered across it. ;-)

I made pork chops and mashed potatoes for dinner tonight. Not much variety, but it was already more than I felt like making! I can't seem to get over that "sick of the same ole' food" feeling, so I've been looking up some recipes online and making some slight alterations to the few foods that our family likes! So instead of our regular slow-cooked pork chops I made "Famous Pork Chops," or some such alluring title. Basically they were dipped in egg, then crackers and butter and garlic and such, then covered and baked. And I made "Cowboy Potatoes," hoping the title would entice the boys to branch out. I left out the jalapeno pepper for their sake and we were out of carrots, but other than that it was basically mashed potatoes with garlic (plenty!), onions, corn, cheese and... hhmmm... something else all mixed in. Sounds strange, I know, but I thought it was really good! And a nice change from the regular mashed potatoes. After dinner Katie helped me make a dump cake, too. She loves to wear her new apron and chef's hat and work in the kitchen.

Can't think of much else going on around here. Oh, before I forget... I updated my blog list a little bit with some sites that I like to try to keep up with, but usually forget to go to. I am keeping with my format of using people's first names, so please don't be offended that I'm not showing due respect! I just like it to be uniform. :-) And I hesitate to identify people by their last names on a public blog. I'm not a paranoid person, but there are some weird-o's out there, so first names seem safer to me!

Ah, yes. This is Katie's latest creation. She found some Wikki Stix today and formed this little lady. And (get this) James listed it on eBay for her! Ha! He started the bid at .25 cents. I can't imagine the thing will sell, but she's so excited at the very thought... and Joe's so disgusted! Ha! I said, "Boy, Joe, wouldn't it bug you if somebody paid $5 for that thing?!" He then acquired a TRULY disgusted expression and just shook his head.



And that's about it. Hope everybody is having a good week. And thanks again for all of your love and comments and, most of all, prayers. They are all sooooo appreciated. I have the best friends in the world!!!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

Miss Rue is very creative! Hope she has good success with it being advertised on EBay.

Vicki Smith said...

Although Katie's creation is unique, to say the least, I don't believe I'll be bidding on it. :-D
I'm so glad you're doing better. You know from experience that it continues to get better until the tears finally dry up and you're left with lots of happy memories. Meanwhile I, too, am thankful for a loving, supportive group of friends who share your grief and are praying for you and the rest of the family.
You're getting rid of an 18 year old sweatshirt? That almost seems WRONG. Katie will be able to wear it before long! ;-)

Sister Charity said...

I just wanted to say I'm sorry about Hershey. My Mom's mom gave me a dog for my 4th birthday and we had him for 12 years. He died when I was 16. It was really tough we had to have him put down. He was a purebred and we bred him out and got one of the puppies but he's so different from his dad. Plus the puppy was everyone's Beethoven was mine. I remember crying all the way to the vets and all the way home. It was especially hard because Grandma gave him to me and she went home to be with Jesus a couple weeks before I turned 8. Katie must be a very creative girl. Bethany always loves to make things. What did the kids think of the mashed potatoes?

Tam said...

The idea of your husband putting Kaite's little friend on ebay is so precious to me. Such a good dad!

It wouldn't surprise me for someone to bid on it. I'm telling you, you can just about sell anything these days. For her sake, I would love for there to be at least one bid. SO CUTE!

Kasey said...

Why on earth would you get rid of a sweater advertising the most wonderful state in the united states of america??? WRONG.;) For the sake of style...I agree with the toss.

Tammy Washburn said...

I'm VERY glad that it wasn't a "vicious" attack on Hershey and just an accident. Another blessing to thank God about.

You never know...Katie may sell her creation. Much, much prettier than a "silhouette of madonna on a piece of dried toast!" that sold not too long ago. :)

EmileeAnn said...

Glad to hear that you are doing better. God's grace is sufficient.

Katie's creation is very...creative! :-) James is a good dad. Hopefully someone will bid on it.

Marcia Brooks said...

Sister Becki I was so sad to hear about Hershey. I know I'm a little behind in the news. Have been offline for awhile. He was such a neat dog. I always enjoyed him when I was there to visit. I'm glad you are doing better though.

Tammy K. said...

Ok dumb question, but that is the story of my life, right? What is wikki stix? Does everybody know but me and noone is brave enough to ask? Or am I just not with it?

Rebekah Doran said...

So sorry to hear about your dog. I really am. I know how much you love your pets. Glad to hear that you are doing better and not having to escape to the porch anymore.

Your dinner sounds yummy! Trying new recipes is very fun, especially when they turn out good. ;-)

You'll have to let us know how Katie little lady fairs are ebay! I hope it gets a bet or two too.