Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Family Vacation, Part 10 - The End

Okay, so there really isn't a Part 10. It just seemed tacky to end on Part 9. :-) Now that it's all said and done I think we can say we've seen it all!!! When I look at the list of everything we saw and did in 10 days, not even counting Tayde's graduation and the church and family visit in Phoenix:

Joshua Tree National Park
San Francisco (Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, trolley car, Golden Gate Bridge)
Highway 1 and 101 (the day at the beach and touring the lighthouse)
Redwoods National Park
Crescent City and the Aquarium, then our "shortcut" through Oregon to go south
Yosemite National Park
Sequoia National Park
Grand Canyon National Park

...THAT IS AMAZING!!! James said we put 3,800+ miles on the van on this trip. That seems like an unbelievable number to me. But then to think that we did it in 10 days... it means we averaged 380 miles a day!!! How in the world did we have time to stop and DO anything?! Ha! It was a wild and crazy trip, the biggest of our lifetime FOR SURE. But we really did have the time of our lives. Sooooooo much fun and I'm sooooo thankful that God provided for us to be able to do it. We'll all remember it always. :-)

Even with the Grand Canyon addition to the trip, we were still able to make it home by about 10:30 last night. Amazing. What's MORE amazing is that we got the van completely unloaded, I got everything unpacked, sorted the mountain of laundry and got the first load started and took a nice, hot shower (in my very own tub!) before going to bed last night.

This morning we got up and headed to the library. Everything we had was due back today and we all had things on hold that needed picked up. Since we just took a killer field trip (ha!) I told the kids they didn't have to do any school today. (Truth be known, I had too much to do to try to work the school thing in there, too!) I spent the day today working on laundry (all done!) and a little bit of ironing (a long way to go!) and proof reading the Evening Light. Then worked on some Camp stuff tonight. After all, Family Camp starts NEXT WEEK!!!! Wow! I'm so excited! Not necessarily to leave my home again so soon (ha!), but for FAMILY CAMP, the very best Church function of the whole year!!!! Right, James?! Anyway, it should be a really busy week and a day before Camp starts, then we'll have a glorious Camp, then I'm going to come home and CRASH. I can't wait for the Camp AND the crash. :-) Speaking of crashing...

My body has already begun. I'm still hanging on to that sore throat from several days ago. I had no voice for two days, though it's back now. I sound like a raspy old man, but it's back. Ha! I've also developed a pretty persistent cough. James told me a little while ago that I cough about every five seconds. I didn't know that, but I know it's beginning to hurt my throat all over again, but in a new way. (How pitiful is that?!) Today I've had the sweaty chills. I've gone back and forth from a sweatshirt to a t-shirt over and over and over again! Ha! It's crazy. I'm thankful that I'm not SICK (in the sense of being incapacitated), but I know it would be a lot easier to do all of the things that need done if I was totally well. So I'm throwing a prayer request out there for all of you pray-ers! Please mention me to the Lord, okay?! Thanks. :-)

2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I'm praying for you. You're still asleep in your very own cozy bed as I write this. I pray you'll wake up feeling MUCH better! You've got to be well so you can get all prepared for Camp NEXT WEEK! YIKES! That means BTI is CLOSE. --Gotta go get busy myself!

Tammy K. said...

I pray you feel completely well soon. WHAT A TRIP Horne family. That is a lot that you guys did in 10 days. Makes me kinda tired. I am glad your home safe and you had a great time and made wonderful lifelong memories. Looking forward to camp next week.