Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

I couldn't think of a good title, so I just used the one that everybody else out there will surely be using.

It's been a lazy sort of a week around here. James and I have both had a cold for several days. Thank you, Joe. ;-) Joe was kind enough to share his cold with both of us AND my Mom and Dad. Anyway, things have been pretty sluggish around here because of it. We haven't been sick in bed, just stuffy and groggy and not very productive. We have managed to stay on top of school, laundry and ironing. Until today--the kids played in the snow for most of the day and we never got to school. They'll make up for it tomorrow, on SATURDAY. Bwa-hahahahaha! :-)

We made a trip to the library on Wednesday 'cause the kids thought they were going to die if they didn't get new books to read. Then we went into town for a major shopping trip at Sam's Club. We stocked up on toilet paper and napkins, and dish tabs and oh, I don't know what all. Enough to make our cart look like a mountain on wheels. When we got home I spent the next hour and a half cleaning out the pantry and other closet to make room for everything. It feels GREAT to be well stocked and to have everything put away in its proper place.

Yesterday, this is what we woke up to. :-) It's the best snow we've ever gotten here. About 4 1/2 inches. Not huge, but enough to make things really pretty and enough to make me really happy. :-)



The kids have spent a LOT of time playing in the snow and having a blast. If I hadn't been feeling crummy I'm pretty sure I would have joined them!

Everybody has been doing their part to eat the Christmas left-overs, but you can only do it so many days, you know? So yesterday I used a bunch of the turkey and made a big pot of turkey and noodles. It was so good, especially for the semi-sicko's.

We didn't do much celebrating last night. We were planning a New Year's Eve service at church but it had to be cancelled, so we just stayed home and took it easy. I worked on my new puzzle for a while (very fun so far, Mom--wish you were here!) and we let the kids stay up and watch Up. I just can't bring myself to let them stay up until midnight, New Year's Eve or not. What are they going to DO all that time?! So when the movie went off we sent them to bed, at 10:00 or so. James lasted until 11:00, then I chatted with my cousin for the next hour. Not real exciting, but quietly enjoyable. Would have RATHER been with PEOPLE playing GAMES, right Tammy??? Maybe next year. -- Not that I didn't THOROUGHLY enjoy chatting with my cousin, of course. (Had to throw that in there in case she reads this. Ha!)

Today I did something I can't remember doing in YEARS. I stayed in my pj's all day long! It started because the bathrooms were both occupied and I couldn't take my shower as planned. Then after devotions I got busy cleaning the kitchen, then spontaneously decided it was time to take the Christmas stuff down and get the house back to normal. HA. I really should have waited until next week. The house is TRASHED and I'm not sure it's going to look any better tomorrow night, then we've got Church the next day. It wouldn't be a big deal except that this is the time of year when I REALLY clean everything. Sweep ceilings and walls for cobwebs, clean fans and light fixtures, lemon oil all of the wood, move all of the furniture so the baseboards can be cleaned and tile floor scrubbed and all that jazz. Well, today I got one wall done. Ha! I've started packing up the Christmas stuff, spent a considerable amount of time oiling the piano and shelves on that wall, then vacuumed the chair that goes on that wall and scrubbed the floor over there. The REST of the room, however... Well, it's not just real purty! I'm hoping I can get more done tomorrow than I think I can!

Anyway, I ended up just cleaning in my pj's all day long. Then this evening I took a shower and put on some fresh pj's. Crazy! I really feel like getting DRESSED now, but that would be pretty silly. I'll DEFINITELY be ready for some real clothes by morning!

I made a terrible cheesy ham and potato casserole tonight. Trying to get rid of some more left-overs, you know! Actually, James and I really liked it, but it would've been better as a side than a main dish. The kids weren't too thrilled. I must admit it didn't look too appealing. Joe's prayer that usually starts with, "Thank you, Lord, for this good food" was simply, "Thank you, Lord, for this... --food. Um, PLEASE help it to be good, and, uh..." Ha! Oh well. We ate most of it and it used up some more left-overs, so I still feel like I succeeded.

And now, for our big celebration of New Year's Day, we're drinking punch. Yup, that's it. And letting the kids stay up and watch one last movie before life gets back to normal. Wall-E this time. I think I'm going to go work on the puzzle a little more though. That will be fun. :-)

Here's a picture of Sam before I go. He plays with his Legos for several hours each day and getting more and more creative with them. Such great toys. The best toys use a kid's brain, not batteries. :-)

7 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Happy New Y??? Hmmmmmm.

cokelady said...

Ha! I know! I started on a new post and something went dreadfully awry and it just POSTED before I'd even finished the title! Crazy. It's a little more complete now. :-)

Vicki Smith said...

All right. That's a better post than just "Happy New Y." :-)
Didn't get dressed, huh? I'm not sure when that's happened to me, except when I've been to sick to get dressed and I can't even remember how many years that's been.
My house is trashed, too. Well, not ALL of it. If you come in the front door and go immediately to the left you will enter a nicely decorated and clean dining room. Before this morning you could have entered the front door and turned immediately to the right and entered a nicely decorated and clean living room, but that all changed when your dad decided to finally look into fixing the problem with the pedals on my piano. He has piano parts strewn around and has gone to the hardware store to get some new screws. --My den is pretty much emptied of furniture that was moved to the kitchen and there's a trash bag neatly tied around the light fixture (the fan blades have been removed) to protect it from falling debris. All the popcorn is scraped off and I'm ready to paint on the Kilz, then retexture. Fun, fun, fun.

cokelady said...

Wa-Hoo, Mom! Not about the mess, but about you actually DOING something to finish out that den. Or START on the den, I guess! Actually, even if you stop right now there's still cause for a big Wa-Hoo just because that terrible popcorn stuff is GONE. :-)

Kasey said...

we had beautiful snow too...IMMEDIATELY followed by a change in temp and rain rain rain. boo. It went away so quick. Glad you had a happy new y...hahaha. Miss you, and I will be sending your fry sauce soon, I PROMISE!

cokelady said...

Oh, so sorry 'bout the glorious snow being washed away by rain! That's NOT supposed to happen this time of year. Maybe you'll get more soon. :-) Snow, that is. Not rain.

I think you're one of the most wonderful people on earth, knowing that there is a limited supply of fry sauce in the world and actually being willing to ship some of it off to somebody else. :-) I fear you're more generous than I would be... Ha!

Tammy Washburn said...

Beautiful pix from your front porch. I know you enjoy the view.