Thursday, January 28, 2010

SNOW! SNOW! SNOW! SNOW! SNOW!

This is THE BEST snowfall I've been in many years (excluding, of course, Ladies' Retreat in Colorado... and being stranding on the WAY to Ladies' Retreat in Colorado a few years ago--that was a good snow, hu, Tammy?!) and I'M SO HAPPY!!!!! Oh, the wonder of it all! ~sigh~ I can't imagine a day much more BEAUTIFUL than this one. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Believe it or not, I actually gave the kids the day off from school. We'll make up for it on Saturday, but it just seemed wrong to not take full advantage of the miraculous SNOW! The kids spent quite a while out playing in it today, giving me some wonderful all alone time. :-) Then I made a chocolate cake and it was about time for lunch. Left-over spaghetti from last night and some elk stew from the other day.

The snow was still coming down and looking oh-so pretty.




After lunch I decided it was time to whip up something that might go really great with our chocolate cake. Here are the makings of a truly delectable dessert...
That's right--SNOW CREAM!!! Wa-Hoo!!! (Sam's has a chocolate syrup smiley face with a cinnamon mustache, in case you were wondering...)
I went out and played with the kids for a while this afternoon. Oh, what I wouldn't give for an inner tube!!! It would have been sooooo perfect. The snow was too powdery for snowballs or building anything, but it would have been just right for tubing. We'll have to be better prepared next time! Still, it was SO gorgeous.

Out the front window...
The back window...
And the boys' window, down toward the gate...
It's really tough to get a good picture of our house because of how it sits on the hill... But doesn't it just look like the best little place in the whole wide world a person could be on a snowy day???

At about 4:00 this afternoon I went out to measure just how glorious it really was...
DO YOU SEE THAT?!?!? Nine and 3/4 inches!!!! WA-HOOOOOOOOO! I can't even remember last time I've had a snow like that in a place I actually lived. IT'S SO AMAZING!!!! And as far as I know, it never has quit snowing. Maybe we'll have a full foot by morning!!!! ~gasp!~ Can you imagine how fantastical that would be?! Oh, be still my heart!!! :-)

I took Sam with me and we walked down to get the mail. We already knew it, but that little trip confirmed that there was NO WAY our van was going anywhere tonight. We MIGHT be able to make it down the mountain, but there would be NO chance of making it back up. I hated the idea of missing church tonight, but what could we do? And besides, why would I go into town where there was no snow to get stuck away from my house where there IS all of this glorious snow?! So much better to be stranded here than there.

James made some tasty pork chop strip thingies for dinner and I made some fried potatoes and corn to go with it. Yum!

I played Whoonu with the kids, then a couple of games of Candyland before tuning in to the CPMA service going on in Aurora tonight. Sometimes I think my brother is about the coolest guy alive. Like tonight when I was able to be there "live" and be so blessed by Brother Van's service about Fields of the Wood. As it turned out, our church ended up cancelling tonight anyway so it was great to be able to take part in that one. And I was so happy to see that Kristin was there! I've been praying for that girl. :-)

I just pulled my third dessert of the day out of the oven a minute ago: White Chocolate Blondies. I haven't tasted them yet, but they smell sooooooooooo good!!! :-) I'm letting the kids watch a show before bed (it's a snow day thing, I guess!), then I may start into my next book. ~sigh~ What a great day!

I'M SO HAPPY!!!

That's about it. Oh, wait! When we took the kids to the library on Tuesday I discovered that they DO have some Christian books there! I had looked when we first moved here and I couldn't find anything at all, but apparently they've had some good donations or something. :-) I picked up two Dee Henderson books and started the first one that night (I was good and went to bed at midnight--I'm so much more responsible than I used to be! Ha!) and finished it last night. Now I've got another sitting next to my chair calling my name. ~sigh~ Can life get any better??? :-)

3 comments:

Tammy K. said...

I know you are one happy lady.The snow is pretty. I am glad for YOU!!!
Sounds like a great day. Let us know if you got a foot. Joe looks great, however the torture your putting him through is not nice.

Vicki Smith said...

What a glorious, marvelous, stupendous day!!! So, I'm assuming the snowcream turned out good? Even without speaking directly to the Snowcream Wonder of the World? You have GOT to get some innertubes to keep around. James has a little air compressor, doesn't he? You can deflate them for storage and pump them up for these emergency play sessions.
The picture of Joe is priceless. The way you torment your kids--they will either grow up strong and well adjusted to life due to overcoming great adversity in childhood, or they'll be totally unfit for society. :-) I'm banking on the former. It worked for their Mom.
I would so love to be snowed in in that charming little log cabin (I know it's not a REAL log cabin, but it has the look and feel of one)with you. Snowcream, hot chocolate, games, puzzles, snow, snow, snow...what a life.

Tammy Washburn said...

Uh, tell Bro. James to quick blowing the snow towards TN (FB)because we must have Bro. Campbell and Bro. Smith at our men's retreat, and my hubby MUST go to men's retreat. So there!