Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Party is a Party--PART 2, that is!

...but a Christmas party, hhmmmm!

Well, day two of the Mom/Kids party has been nice and relaxing. That's a problem. Parties aren't supposed to be relaxing! Oh, well. It's been a good, enjoyable day around here.

I started a fire this morning while Katie made breakfast for everybody, then we had a good devotion time together. The boys were chompin' at the bit to get outside and dig up their treasure, so they disappeared for quite a little while. They finally discovered that we didn't actually have a buried treasure in our yard, but I can't remember what they determined it was. It kept them happily occupied for a few hours anyway!

I got one phone call last night and two today from some of the Colorado ladies; one at the Girl Party and two wishing they were there just like me! Ha! The Craig ladies were going to have a little get-together this evening so that will help them have some fun, I'm sure. Let's see, what else... I took Toy Story back today and got my $25 deposit back (terminated the membership I created the night before) AND a full refund on the rental due to the faulty disc. :-) Uummm... OH! I have very grown-up feeling children today. The three of them talked me into letting them go get the mail this afternoon. Alone. Alone together, that is. Sounds pitiful, hu??? Ha! We don't live on a city block, you know, so it's not like there's a mailbox out in front of our house. There is a lock box for the mail down the road quite a ways, definitely not visible from the house. We usually just stop as we're driving by and pick up our mail but on occasion we do gather the kids and walk down to get it. But today the three kids begged and pleaded for me to pleeeeeeeease let them go get the mail all by themselves. Sure, why not?! They were back in about 10 minutes, but I must say it felt pretty eerie those 10 minutes! Not because I was worried about them, but because I was all ALONE. I was trying to think if I've EVER been all alone in this house... I don't think so! It wasn't eerie like SCARY, just eerie like, "Whoa! This is WEIRD!!! Where IS everybody?!" The kids came in a few minutes later just beaming, feeling oh-so grown up and proud of themselves. "And we didn't even fight, Ma!" Ha!

We got out the Balloonies today. Aunt Sue had them at her house last time we visited, but we never got a chance to get to them so she sent them home with us. Today seemed like a good day! I love watching the kids' faces while they try to blow them up. :-)




They can't ever make 'em real big like Mom can...
Especially Joe. Ha!

They have fun anyway--and I love the smell of that stuff. Talk about fumes! WHOA! People are always worried about lead paint from China... how come nobody has looked into that stuff--it's probably toxic! Ha! Crazy stuff, I tell ya'.

After the Balloonies I let the kids watch a Veggie Tales and I cleaned out my stamping stuff and took pictures of everything I'm going to sell. That's right, I QUIT stamping, scrapbook making, and card making--I'm DONE. Truth be known, I never actually started... I just collected a whole lot of stuff! Ha! No, I've done some over the years and I really, really enjoyed it. But I don't do it often enough to get really and truly good at it, so it's just not as fun as it used to be. I decided I'd be happier if I just sold all of my stamps and papers and tools and ink and all that junk. Maybe I'll be able to get a little something for them on eBay. And if I get rid of all of it maybe I'll stop feeling that magnetic pull to the stamping section every time I'm at Hobby Lobby and I'll be able to stop picking up more stuff that I won't use! Ha! We'll see how it goes.

The kids and I played a couple of games of Whoonu today, but that was all. I expected to play more with them, but the day just sort of slipped lazily away before we knew it. Pretty soon it was time for everybody to take their Saturday night showers and get ready for the second and final pizza party! But first...

Sam came to me this afternoon complaining that his tooth hurt. I got to looking at it and discovered that it was a little bit loose. He was thrilled! He's never had a loose tooth before and was determined to get it out of there. He must have worked on it a LOT because when he came to me again a little while later it was really loose. I made him let me take a picture of him right away with all of his pretty little baby teeth. He's the only one of our kids who has had pretty little teeth, so straight and white...

Good thing I took the picture because a little later he came back and the tooth was really, REALLY loose. I told him he could probably just grab it and pull it out, but he's seen the string method used on Katie so many times he wanted to try it that way. So I tied a string to his tooth and he pulled, slow and easy, until it eased out of his gums. Weird! I've always done the yank-and-get-it-over-with thing! But Sam has a much higher tolerance for pain than the others. Anyway, here he is in the bathroom, checking out his first ever tooth hole!
And showing it off...
He is soooooo happy. Immediately put the tooth in a plastic bag and under his pillow. He's probably in big trouble because the Tooth Fairy is at Men's Retreat and his assistant is pretty forgetful! Ha! I'm going to TRY to remember to take care of that as soon as I finish blogging. Anyway, Sam was soooooooo excited about losing his first tooth and really wanted to call his Dad. There's no phone reception up there and it's against the rules anyway (!), so I let him call his bud Isaac up at the Girl Party. Sister Jamey answered the phone and I was amazed at how long Sam talked to her--he's usually so shy and doesn't have much to say to people. But he was quite talkative and seemed to enjoy talking to her as much as he did talking to Isaac! I'm happy for him, but I felt this strange sort of sadness for myself. My baby boy just lost his first tooth! It's another one of those reminders that I don't have any little kids anymore--they're all growing up! And as fun and exciting as that is, I can't help but miss the "little" days, you know?! They go so quickly... Only old people say things like that, so I guess I'm officially there now! Ha!

We enjoyed our pizza party tonight and had a good devotion. The kids are really enjoying A. J. Tomlinson so far. I think we're about 40 pages into it right now. That's about, what, one-twentieth of the way through?! :-)

Since our pastor ran off with the only set of church keys (ha!), our service plans have been changed for tomorrow. We don't have a preacher, so we were going to have Sunday School and worship in the morning, then Sister Shanda's VLB service tomorrow night. But with the locked-out-of-the-church thing thrown into the mix we've decided to have church at the Clarksons' house in the morning. We'll combine Sunday School, worship, and VLB service into one service instead of coming back in the evening. I enjoy having service in homes on occasion, so I'm looking forward to it! The kids have already got their play clothes packed to take with us since we'll be staying the rest of the day with the Clarkson crowd, waiting for the guys to get home from Men's Retreat. The kids are thrilled to have a whole afternoon to play with the little Clarkson people!

I hope everybody has great Sunday services and a wonderful week. :-)

1 comment:

Vicki Smith said...

Aha! You DUPED me! I glanced at your blog this morning and saw the "A Party is a Party" title and didn't look any further to realize it was a "Part 2" post and there was all new commentary AND pictures! Glad I looked a little further this afternoon.
CONGRATULATIONS to Sam and his newest stage of growing up. And the kids must have been SO EXCITED to get to go to the mailbox all alone. I remember getting to go to the grocery store with my younger sister when I was about 8 years old. I know I was no older than 8, because we'd moved to a different house when I was 9.
By now your "Party Time" is about over. Papa Bear will be home tonight. No more pizza parties. Your kids are good at making special memories, what with their active imaginations (i.e., digging for buried treasure).