Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Cutest Gingerbread House in the Whole Wide World!!!

Or at least the cutest one I've ever made! Mom & I tried one once when I was a teenager. As I recall, it was a disaster. This one was from scratch (got the pattern and instructions from Country Woman magazine) and when I read through the directions I thought, "Surely we can do that!" Although I must confess I really expected to be disappointed--these things are tough and I knew it. But in the end, I think I like mine BETTER than the one in the magazine! Whoa!!! When does THAT ever happen?! I wanted "shingles" on the roof instead of frosted mini-wheats and I LOVE the red and green candies all around the roof edge--it's bright and cheery. :-) Anyway, here it is!



And a close up so you can see the white sprinkles "snow" on the front of the house. James took this picture, that's why it's... like this!



The front...



And the whole thing in all its glory! :-)

I added the "snow" melting off the roof at the very end. I think I like it, but I don't think I like it in the picture! Ha! But on the whole, I love the house and I'm so proud of us!!! Sam & Katie helped with the shingles and the candies. It was FUN!!!

I finally posted pictures and way too much text (big surprise) about our Christmas with Mom & Dad, so scroll down if you're interested. :-)

5 comments:

Tammy K. said...

that IS the cutest ginger bread house in the whole world. You should send the picture to the magazine you got it out of and tell them you used their recipe. Maybe they will publish it for the rest of the world to see. It is WAY cute you guys did a great job. I have tryed those things twice and it was horrible. I am proud of you guys.

Vicki Smith said...

It turned out WAY cute!!! The bricks, especially, are cute. The window panes are a bit crooked. (HAHAHAHAH!!!) I love the stack of logs outside. :-) --When do you start eating it?

Tammy Washburn said...

It is a very cute house. (We couldnt' eat the one I made once long ago because I kept licking the icing off my fingers..Ha!...so it was just for decor. :)

Vicki Smith said...

oooooh, classy new layout! Looks good.

Tammy K. said...

That is a fantastic family picture. I like the new layout...very nice Bec.