Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's a Blizzard!!!!

That's what they've been saying for days and days now. It's going to be a blizzard. "Three to eight inches in the East Mountains (that's where we live) and high winds causing blizzard conditions." (Not that three to eight inches really makes for a blizzard...) Well, they got the wind right, anyway. It blew hard all night long, waking us several times. At about 6:00 this morning it sounded like it might blow the house down, which is always a nice way to start your day. As for the snow, they were way off. BIG SHOCK. I've never had just a whole lot of respect for weathermen. Anybody who can tell that many big, fat lies on public television for all the world to see and hear, well... It wouldn't be so bad if they would just admit they were wrong every now and again. But noooooo, they're always right. Have you ever heard a weatherman say, "Boy, sorry 'bout that, folks. I really thought it was going to be hot and dry this week... Sorry to those of you whose homes were flooded." "Sorry I told you not to water your gardens this week because we'd have plenty of rain... This dearth really took me off guard." Or, in my case, "So sorry to promise a blizzard in which you could have the time of your life with your kids and truly enjoy the glories of the holiday season, only to have not a single flake fly your way. I really blew it this week..." Nope. They just go right on pretending like what they said last time really happened and like what they're telling you now will absolutely come to pass--when everybody knows there's not a chance. The guys around here are the worst I've ever been around in my life. I'm trying to recall a single time they've been right... Nope, can't think of one. Of course, I'm probably just bitter. This is the second time in the past few weeks they've promised and lied about big snow. A couple weeks ago they said we'd get A FOOT of snow where we are. You guessed it... not one flake. That's just dumb. Somebody ought to be shot.

Strange. I didn't know I was cranky this morning. Ha!

Right now Katie is getting some waffles ready and the boys are in their bedroom getting dressed, singing, "I need to tell you somethin'... I don't got a bellybutton!" Not sure where James is. I decided I'd blog in the morning since I never seem to have the gumption to do it in the evenings anymore.

Guess what we had for dinner Friday night??? Smothered elk steaks!!!!! THANK YOU, CHRIS & HALEY, FOR BRINGING ME SOME ELK MEAT!!!!! Oh, they were sooooooooo good. The kids started off by saying, "Wow, Mom, this is really good. Quite tasty." By the end of the meal I heard one of them say, "This is the best meal you've ever made, Mom!" Ha! It was so great. The gravy is just about the best part. You just can't get that same flavor when you make gravy with beef. I made extra and we're still eating on it, though the steaks were gone that first night.

On Saturday I put on a pot of ham and beans and we got to smell it all day long. :-) Love that on a cold day! The ham and beans were sooooooo good. James had made some sort of cherry/cream cheese dessert that day, so we took some of that and some ham and beans and cornbread and the white chocolate pretzels and oatmeal raisin cookies that James had also made (!) over to the horse lady. (She doesn't look like a horse; she's the lady who used to give the kids riding lessons.) If felt good to share some nice, warm food with someone on a cold night. Especially since her pipes had burst and she'd used her grocery money to have them fixed! All day on Saturday I worked on some computer work for the Church that I've been putting off for way too long and finally finished it up that night. That felt good!

I taught kid Sunday School again this week. Seems like I just can't get into the groove of teaching six little people. I always think we'll have plenty of time, but then we're always rushing to try to get finished at the end!

After church we went out to eat at Cracker Barrel so James could shop in the store for his mom for Christmas. He's always SO GOOD with knowing what to get people (always the perfect gift, too), but he just couldn't think of anything for his Mom this year. He didn't find anything at Cracker Barrel either, but we got a good lunch out of the deal anyway! Afterwards we went to K-Mart (where he finally found something for her) and a few other places, then decided we really didn't have time to go home before evening service. So we went to the dollar store and picked up some cleaning supplies for the church--been needing to do that anyway. We had a really good WMB service that night (Sister Shanda's services are always so good), then stayed around and cleaned up the Sunday School room that I've been helping the kids trash for several weeks now.

I worked with the kids on school stuff yesterday while James made tamales. Did you get that? JAMES MADE TAMALES! Ha! Can you believe it?! And they were GOOD! He's good at pretty much anything he puts his mind to, but tamales are tricky and I really didn't have very high expectations. But they were very, very good. I think the boys each ate three for dinner last night!

I was able to get all of the laundry and ironing done yesterday, so that feels good.

Wow. This has got to be the most boring post in the world. All of the hum-drum things of life and no pictures or crazy kid stories or nothin'. Sorry. I'll try to do better next time. (Unlike the creepy weathermen around here, I KNOW when I've blown it...)

8 comments:

Marcia Brooks said...

:-) Enjoyed the post and did not bore me in the least. There is no way I'm going to try and read all the post I've missed. LOL but did enjoy the Thanksgiving picture book.

Tammy K. said...

Wow Bec you are having a rough start to your day. You may get your blizzard, just don't let it come Thursday or Friday , I don't want our evangelist to get snowed in at your house. I am finally getting company and the snow can't ruin it :o)
The post was not boring. I don't know that you are capable of boring posts even if it is hum drum things.

Vicki Smith said...

I think you ought to copy and paste your weatherman tirade into an e-mail to your local news stations. I'm sure they'd get a kick out of it. Well, maybe the weathermen themselves might not enjoy it, but the other staff surely would! HA! I'm not sure which is worse--"defered hope" or no hope at all!
What do you mean, "the lady that USED to give the kids riding lessons"??? Not any more? Did you guys quit, or did she? --I'm sorry to hear she's had such a rough go of it. She must have really appreciated the unexpected gift of homemade goodies.
--So glad you got some elk steaks. That's pretty great! --Nobody around here shares any elk with us. :-( Of course, they probably wouldn't know an elk from an antelope. In fact, I'm POSITIVE most of them wouldn't! HA! My only hope of getting elk is if the V's have any. Your dad just called this morning to tell me Brother V. will be coming next month. :-)
Gotta go--it's time for Lunch Club. Today is Steak-n-Shake. I'll have a Frisco Melt for you. ;-) Wish you were here to share it!

Tammy Washburn said...

Poor thing!

You need our Metereologist (fancy schmanzy weatherman). He is a Christian Children's Minister and he tells the truth. If it is bright sunshine & a sweltering 90 degrees outside on Monday....and James Spann tells you that we are going to have a blizzard on Friday....you better stock up on supplies. He'll tell you if it's only going to be a few flakes.

Unknown said...

James is on a roll! Micah's so buried under schoolwork this week, what with finals and all, that I don't want him doing any housework that would take away from study time. only stinky part is that means I have to do it all! :P so much for being a good wife.. i lose either way. the really stinky part is that he leaves Sunday so he won't even be able to do the long list of projects i have for him during his christmas break until AFTER we get back from christmas.. oh well.. such is life..

you can have some of our snow if you like.. though it might melt by the time it gets down there.. then again.. if they can ship ice cream....

cokelady said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sister Marcia. Always good to hear from you.

Tammy, if the Hays happen to get snowed in here then I guess it would just be the will of God. Would it be the will of God if, say, when they went to leave in the morning, they found their tires slashed and were stuck here anyway even if it didn't snow??? ~sigh~ Probably not. Don't worry, I wouldn't actually DO anything like that. Just think about it. And I wouldn't steal your company. Just borrow them for a night before they make it to your house. :-)

Mom, I'm not on speaking terms with the weathermen here like I was with good old Tom Teefertiller in Texas. It's GREAT that Brother Van is coming! That's a little taste of home for you, even if he doesn't bring elk steaks. But maybe he will! :-)

Sister Tammy, I didn't even could you COULD be a weatherman and a Christian at the same time! WHOA!!! That's pretty cool. ENJOY HIM. He's one in a million!

Megan--James didn't used to be so wonderful around the house. It's been a slow process that just continues to develop. I love it! I would GLADLY take some of your snow. Please send enough to cover our half an acre lot with a good 8", especially on the trees out the front window. :-)

Haley Rachelle said...

Your welcome!

Vicki Smith said...

Ya know, Bec, the weathermen here are almost always right. Well, except when they predict snow--I don't believe them then. But they actually did deliver this last time. Having weathermen who haven't got a CLUE what's actually going to happen is the price you pay for living around MOUNTAINS. The mountains do all sorts of weird things with the weather patterns, wind currents, etc. Around here, what's to interfere with what's coming? Whatever weather is headed this way just keeps on coming and there aren't any surprises. The chances of a 53" snow storm taking us off guard are NIL. So, thank God for your mountains and don't believe anything your poor, clueless weathermen tell you.