Saturday, February 28, 2009

Our Saturday

I started the day wallpapering at 8:00. Caulked the logs after that (inside the house this time... weird, but had to be done) and then we had another great meal of mac-n-cheese and corndogs for lunch. We've been having plenty of those lately. Last night we had scrambled eggs with ham because... well, you see... we got a can of ham in a pounding. Let me preface this by saying that we have the BEST pounders in this church that I ever remember having in my life--and I've been a pastor's kid or wife for most all of it. They are sooooo faithful to bring groceries to us and wonderful ones--fresh fruit, cereal, milk, eggs... It's always so exciting--like Christmas once a month! Ha! But somehow in the last pounding I also discovered a can of ham. I don't think I knew that ham came in a can. Anyway, in the midst of our working, we somehow ran out of anything to eat. We had eggs, though. Lots and lots of eggs. And a can of ham. So I diced up the ham and tried to fry it, but it never did seem to get the least bit brown. Added enough eggs to give the dish some hope (ha!) and called it a meal. James wrapped his in a tortilla with cheese and green chili and enjoyed it enough to have a second. The kids and I tried to be good sports, but there sure were a lot of left-overs! Ha! All I can say is that some things just should not come out of a can. Makes me think of Spam, Sister Tammi--which I still have never seen in real life. Only the picture on the can. Which is enough for me.

Wow, I got real distracted, hu?! Okay, let's jump to some pictures. I hate to do this because the camera that I love so much tends to exaggerate when aimed at fresh wallpaper! It catches every seam and highlights it as if there's a 1/4" gap or something! Ha! So I picked the blurriest picture I could find. :-) This is what I've been working on in the boys' room. Please tell me that it looks like BROWN leatherish stuff... and not PURPLE! I was doubly concerned when Joe walked in this morning and I gave him the eye and asked what color the wallpaper was. He got real nervous (nothing like getting "the eye" and knowing there is a wrong answer out there to try to avoid, but not knowing what it is) then said, "Uummm... burgundy???" Aaaaaauuuuuggggghhhhh!!!!

And look, Mom!!! I caulked the gaps between the logs and the trim today, so we were finally able to unwrap Grandmother's mantle for the first time in 15 months and get it set up! It needs oiled and cleaned, but I didn't want to do that until we stop the messy construction in the room. You can also see the little tile step James built for it. :-)

And look!!!!! I'm hoping by the style of the stool you all realize that this is going to be a soda fountain type bar... not the saloon style bar! (I know the barnwood might throw ya'! Ha!) I love it!!! James even built a cute little swinging door on the side. Eventually this little corner is going to be sooooo cool. I'll keep you updated as we keep working. :-)


Because of my wallpaper and caulk filled morning, we didn't start school until about 2:30 today. (More Saturday school--to make up for skipping Thursday.) I was able to get some housework done while the kids were working and came up with enough ingredients to make dinner tonight: Corn, Baked Potatoes, left-over mac-n-cheese, and Sweetish Meatballs. Really, they're rather sweet. Clever name, hu? ;-) Of course, it gets the whole family into doing their best Swedish Chef impersonations. "Oond now ve're going to make zee meaty-loafer. First, zou take zee meat, zen zou poot it een zhee loafer. See, the meaty-loafer! Shlorned, a beaned-a-borned, a marked a moo mork, mork, mork!" :-) Anyway...

A few days ago Katie picked up the Pink Princess Cookbook from the library and has been dying to make all manner of girly little treats to serve at girly little princess parties since then. Difficult to pull off when you have two brothers and no sisters. So tonight after dinner I helped her make the Perfect Princess Tea Cookies or whatever they were. Girly or not, no kid can pass up a good cookie decorating session, so the boys joined in.

This is Joe showcasing my favorite flower cookie and his remake of it. The kids all go a little sprinkle happy.
Since this was a special night for Katie I told the boys they would have to dress up and act like gentlemen if they wanted to attend... even though they'd all had their baths and were wearing blanket sleepers. Of course, Katie was thrilled. Ran and put on her fuzzy shawl and boa. Sam was game--went and donned a suit jacket and tie and was every bit the gentleman. "May I please have some more tea, Katie?" Joe was less enthusiastic. He finally did get a jacket and tie, but was less than gracious about it. He was being rather creepy about the whole "girly tea party" thing and ended up getting kicked out early. He certainly did NOT want me blogging his picture at the party, so I had to crop this one. Goofy kid.

And that was pretty much the end of our day. Now I'm blogging. Which is really just stalling. I'm supposed to be proofreading. HA! And I actually just looked it up to make sure it was one word and not two!!! I am the WRONG PERSON for this job, I tell ya'! Anyway, I'm going to go... play a game. Then proofread. ;-) Have a great Sunday, everybody!

7 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Great pictures and post. THANK YOU. I love Sam's "dress up attire" for the Tea Party. Too cute! The cookies look yummy. Did they taste good?
LOVE the bar, er, soda fountain. ;-) Where'd you get the barn wood?
The mantle looks gorgeous there. And it'll be such a pretty focal point when you're entering the den from the kitchen and laundry room. The tile work is perfect and everything just fits so great! You guys are doing a really great job.
P.S. - the wallpaper looks BROWN to me. Really!

ToughLady said...

boy you have done a good job and yes the wallpaper looks brown guys don't know anything remember they are colored,blind really,thanks for pictures,katie's tea party looks like it was great sam looks great Joe looks like he could care less if he was there or not, but at least Katie got her tea party...

Momma Tammi said...

It is BROWN! Three women can't be wrong! It all looks great. I'm excited to see how it all looks when you're finished.

You mean to tell me that you haven't tried SPAM yet? It is a delicacy in Japan. It is an honored gift to be received in Japan and you haven't tried it? Every time I think about that day, I cannot believe that you honestly thought that I was feeding my kids dog food! I can't help but crack up over it. I do have to agree though...ham in a can is just wrong. I grew up on that kind of stuff and absolutely refuse to eat it now.

The cookies look scrumptious. Katie looks adorable and Sam was such a sweet brother!

Vicki Smith said...

P.S.- Has anyone told you what lovely dining room chairs you have??? :-)

Tammy K. said...

I am w/Sis Tammi on the ham in a can, I grew up eating that and also refuse to eat it. Spam too. I have had that, not a big fan.
The soda fountain will be so cool. I am glad Bro. James gets to finally have that.
The wall look brown in the pictures. Maybe it looks different in person.
great looking cookies.

Kasey said...

I vote brown. and we use the same cleaner...I zoomed the pic with katie doing cookies and scanned over to see more of your glorius decor and saw the can. :) such a horrid name, but it does clean my sink very well.

cokelady said...

~whew~ I'm glad we're all in agreement about the boys' walls being brown. You don't know how relieved I am!!!

Mom--The barnwood came from that rickety old lean-to that the former home owner used to store firewood under. Make me so happy to reuse an eyesore and turn it into something I love! And you're right--it looks SOOOOO good to see the mantle through the hallway when I'm standing in the kitchen! :-) And the chairs still make me very, very happy. :-)

Janis--Thanks! You'll have to come see the house in person sometime. (I don't care if you see the house or not, really... it would just be really fun to have you--and Katie would LOVE to see Hannah!)

Tammi--Nope. Still never tried Spam. And I still have no regrets over it! As for Japanese people, they also think raw fish wrapped in weeds is a delicacy. They can go to town on Spam and raw fish all day long--ain't gonna convince me of a THING! Ha!

Tammy--What a good commenter you are!!! (Ha!) I'm glad to find I'm not alone on the ham-in-a-can issue. Bleagh!

Kasey--YOU CRACK ME UP!!! There is no way anybody else ever would have noticed one little can way over in the corner of the picture. I even had to look for it once you mentioned it! Ha! You're right though--works great on the stainless steel. :-)