Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I've Come to a Realization

I'm a very, very bad blogger. I discovered that a few minutes ago as I was scrolling through some of my posts from a few years ago. That's when I was a good blogger. Most of my posts were relatively short and were full of nothing but silly, nonsensical sorts of things about the kids. Now my posts are long, drawn-out affairs containing all of the details of our lives. I've done that because this is also my "diary," but really... I'd rather remember crazy things about the kids instead of the mundane details! Either my kids aren't as funny as they used to be or I'm just somehow letting those things slip by in the craziness of life. It's not the kids, so... ! ~sigh~ I need to refocus. But first, I'll do another boring post about what we've been up to. Ha! I'll make it short though. ;-)

Breakfast, devotions, kids play/Mom cleans house, school, lunch, horse riding lessons, library, read some books with the kids, great NAP (wa-hoo!), dinner (Papa Murphy's--thanks, James!), stain some of the wood in the DEN, kids finish school, watch Davy Crocket, clean up house, discover I'm a very bad blogger.

And that brings us to right now! As much as I hate to do it, I will post a few pictures of our progress out in the den. I hate showing it before it's FINISHED, you know?!

Okay, for starters, I always try to explain the faux painting technique that we like and use all the time (!), but I figured pictures would help those with trouble visualizing. ;-) Just remember when looking at these pictures that this is not HGTV, it's a true-blue construction zone!

First, you have to purchase the split rollers and tray. (Good luck finding them--the style has kind of come and gone and most places don't carry them anymore.) Choose your two colors wisely or you'll be sorry. I happen to know. ;-)

Then you just do this all over the wall...

Until it looks like this! :-) ~sigh~ I love it. It's just so nice and warm and homey looking, you know? About the rest of the picture... We decided to go with the Special Walnut stain for the logs, Mom. Why branch out to something you might regret when you know you've got a good thing?! I'm not sure why, but the trim on the sides of the logs looks much lighter in the picture than it really is. Weird. AND... that crazy outlet in the middle of the logs--see it? Dustin did it. The dork. Okay, okay, so we told him to. We have plans--and it will be hidden. :-)
And this wall we did solid Fig Cookie. I like it a lot better in person than in the picture, but you get the idea! This is going to be the focal point of the room, so we wanted to separate it a little bit. And don't worry about all those weird tiles in the middle of the wall. When we execute our plans on that wall, they're going to look terrific! :-)

And that's it for now. I'll keep you updated. But I'll try to be brief about it and include more of the truly important things in life: how fun and crazy and occasionally stupid my kids are. :-)

And in the spirit of using a blog for what it's really intended for, spreading laughter and cheer and remembering the worthwhile memories, I thought I'd post this again. Is it still as funny as it used to be? (Scroll down, please!)

9 comments:

Kasey said...

DONT CHANGE A THING. I thoroughly enjoy your blogs...just as they are.

Vicki Smith said...

Love the last picture of James' pleased expression as he sits and admires his work. :-) I know what it's like. I sit and stare and smile after every step of a remodel project. I hope to be able to sit and smile some this afternoon, if I can get our master bath wallpapered. --It's looking great! And I know having a pretty ceiling fan installed makes it look so much prettier.

Momma Tammi said...

The den is looking good. I tried finding one of those rollers and when I asked about them at one home improvement store, the clerk stuck their nose into the air as if to say, "That is so last year!" (said is the snootiest voice possible) and the next store that I asked at...I actually got laughed at. Go figure with these northwesterners.

Anonymous said...

Bad blogger...are you kidding me?!?! For those of us who have plain, simple, mundane lives, it surely is entertainment to read about the hubbub in your household! :o)

ToughLady said...

I agree with sparrow, you are more intertaining, I truely enjoy reading your blogs do not change a thing ok....

I really liked that video of your mother getting a snake in her bag to funny...

ToughLady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
peaceinchaos said...

I too enjoy reading your blogs, although I think I need a coke and a bag of popcorn:) Just kidding...some of us need to live vicariously thru you...the video is great....gives me ideas for camp.hehehehehe

EmileeAnn said...

The walls look really good! I, too, love James's pleased expression!

And you're right...your posts have gotten long and boring! :-) HA! Not really. They are long, but it's always good to hear about what's going on with you guys. I just have to pick some time when there isn't anything else going on to read them! :-)

Can't wait to see the finished garage project!!

Montgomery's said...

when i have time, i enjoy reading your so called boring blogs. they seem to have this type of pull that's hard to get away from.

so your house is looking great. i love the look and the walls turned out great. i've been wanting to do a look like that in our OH home when we are able to sell it so cover up the imperfections in the wall.

and i feel sorry for your mother during the christmas holidays. the video is priceless and although i know her reaction all too well, i couldn't help but laugh.