Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Progress???

Can this be referred to as progress???



Strangely enough, the "after" picture looks worse than the "before" this time! Ha! The darker wood just makes it look dirty or something in the picture. It really is nice in person. ;-) I may have mentioned some time back that James bought a really fantastic log bed for our room at a really, really fantastic price. So our furniture (above) is going to be the furniture for Katie's room/the guest room. We liked it natural in our room, but James thought it would look better stained Special Walnut in Katie's room, to match all of the other wood there. So that's what I did today. ALL DAY. I couldn't believe how long it took!!! It was SUCH a pain. It is SO much easier to work on Granddaddy's wood than this stuff!!! (Or maybe it's just been so long that I didn't remember how awful it is?) The dresser was absurd, but at least it's all done now. For a couple of days anyway. Then I'll either poly it or wax it, not sure which yet.

So while I was busy in the work room (did you notice I gave you a peek at my "black" wall?!) James played Mom all day. Again! He's been doing that a lot lately, it seems. Anything to keep me going on the projects at hand, I guess! He did school with the kids today and let them watch a show or two. Last night he made a stromboli and some fettucini alfredo, then whipped up some homemade oatmeal raisin cookies. Tonight he decided to clear somethings out of the freezer, so the menu consisted of corn dogs, pizza, taquitos and french fries. I had worked right through the lunch break and never stopped today, so my pizza and fries tasted GREAT! Besides the fact that it was one of those little mini-pizzas from Schwan's. That's what I used to eat when I'd be working on wood with Grandmother at the cabin all those years ago. I had to smile at the coincidence.

After dinner James decided the kids needed a little dessert. He never just plops dessert in a dish for the kids, he always makes some sort of art out of it. Tonight it was neopolitan bugs of some sort with cookie legs and whipped cream and M&M eyes. I think somebody's even had a candy corn stinger.


And... I can't believe I'm posting this picture. I'm so embarrassed!!! But since I'm taking you all along with me on this crazy house remodel, I thought it only fair that you suffer through this part as well. This is what our room is looking like now...

The kids and all their STUFF have moved into our room and there's just no place to put anything (kids included) until I finish up Kate's room and get them OUT OF HERE. We now have mattresses on the floor and are using the boys' dresser. (I moved their stuff into a suitcase today and our stuff into their dresser so I could stain our old/Kate's new dresser. Follow that?) Anyway, it's a WRECK. And I didn't get nearly as much done today as I had hoped. Naturally. Tomorrow I've got some work to do outside (caulking and staining), then maybe I'll get a chance to touch up the paint in Kate's room and who knows--maybe even get to the next project. I'm not banking on it though. I know how things go around here! Ha!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Rachel said...

Tell me how you did that two-toned wall! We're about to paint our church nursery and I'll love to do something warm and cozy like that!

Rachel said...

Never mind, I remembered you did that on Tammy's walls so I went looking for your post about it... .Do you KNOW how many posts you have made that contain the word "paint"??????????????? I don't know either, I didn't count, but there's a LOT!!!! I found the post though, and you explain it in a comment. Thanks! haha!

Rachel said...

Changed my mind! Help! What colors do I use, from where? Can't find Almond Tree and Fig Cookie on the True Value website!

cokelady said...

Ha! You're CRAZY!!! And now you've made me crazy, too. You stirred my curiosity and I had to go and add up just how many of my posts DO contain the word "paint" in them. Let's just say it's way, way too many. I think about 8% of my total posts, which I'm assuming means that 8% of my life has been consumed with painting projects since I started this blog two and a half years ago. I REALLY DID NOT NEED TO KNOW THAT!!! I mean, think about it. I almost TITHE my life to paint!!! Ha!

Anyway, as for the paint... you apparently read about the split roller thingie (I can post a picture if it would be helpful) and different paint colors. The colors we use were originally Benjamin Moore colors, I THINK, but we've had them color matched at Wal-Mart and at True Value. I can give you the formulas though. Oh wait... I think all I have right now is a 5 gallon bucket of each--I'll have to look and get back to you! But I will definitely let you know. They are GREAT colors and I'm always scared to try anything else. I did once and it was BAD. VERY, VERY BAD. My cousin Stacey, the painting queen, came up with these and I trust her far more than myself! Anyway, I'll let you know the formula when I get a chance. Right now I'm off to stain the little "log" office out back. :-)

Rachel said...

I want to avoid VERY VERY BAD if possible! Ha ha! I found the names matched for Kelly Moore paints, but the closest store is in Arkansas. So I'll wait for your professional input.

I think I've seen the split rollers. FUN!

Thanks for devoting more of your life to help ME devote more of my life to painting. I aspire to spend at least 5% of my life painting and I'm WAY behind! :-)

Anonymous said...

You're doing ALL this still blog every day! I usually forget to take pictures when I'm doing something blog-worthy!
I'm just glad it's your house and not mine!

mandie said...

I'm back!!! It had been so long since I blogged I forgot my username and password and then changed eamil. So I've been stopping in but not commenting. Love all the pictures! You're such the good one! Miss you!! Love ya!

Kasey said...

I have most of the stuff moved for the painting party on Saturday...will be sure to post pics. I have chosen butternut for the living room and french roast for the kitchen.

Vicki Smith said...

You're getting SO MUCH done! I'm not so sure about the dark log furniture--probably just because I've never seen it that way before. It's always light, unfinished logs. But once it's poleyurethaned (yippee skippee, more poly!) and the room is put together it'll probably look really neat. The important thing is if YOU like it. Do you? --I'm anxious to see the wallpaper put up in Katie's room. How exciting THAT will be! FUN! It's going to be so great in there! Has James bought the blinds yet? It would be kind of nice for your guests to have SOMETHING covering the windows, you know? Those of us used to living in the country don't think anything about it much, but the city dwellers would freak out at having completely uncovered windows at night! HA!

cokelady said...

Rachel--I'll try to figure out the codes for the paint colors tomorrow. But be patient with me if it takes me another day or two! (Ya' never know!)

Lib--I know, it's CRAZY! Somehow blogging is the one "normal life" thing I cling to in times like this. It somehow lets me pretend for a moment that my life IS normal. :-) You really should take pictures of your craziness. It's like a kind of therapy to be able to look back at the progress!

Mandie!!! ~GASP!~ Could it be?!?!? It's the Moon!!!!!! Wow, it is sooooooo good to hear from you! Does this mean YOU'RE blogging again??? I'll have to go check. Hey, isn't it time for our biannual phone call?! ;-)

Kasey--Wow, even your paint sounds tasty!!! That's what happens when a chef remodels, hu?! ;-) Can't wait to see it!

Mom--I'm not sure how I feel about the log furniture being dark, but there's no turning back now! Ha! I'm not sure I'm crazy about it, but it really doesn't bother me. I think once the room is put together and it "blends" with the other wood it will be fine. I do like that you can see the woodgrain better now than before. I always like lots of grain and knot holes. :-)

Oh, and James was mentioning just today that he needs to get some blinds in there. Wow, Mom! It's going to be a real bedroom!!!! :-) And best of all, THE CRAZY CIRCLE IS GONE!!!!!