Thursday, October 6, 2011

No Catching Up Now

I'd might as well give up. I keep thinking I'll actually post about everything that has been going on in our lives, but I'm still over a month behind. And I've got way too much going on right now and in the next week and a half (at least) to even think about devoting much time to blogging. So I'm going to try to hit the high points in super high gear. We'll see how that goes.

After our post-Assembly vacation with Mom & Dad and the Hays, we drove to Pennsylvania to spend several days. While there the kids did lots of fishing and riding bikes, James ate lots of Danny's Pizza, and I did not just lots, but ALL of our Assembly laundry and ironing. Yes, you read that right. It was the best decision I've ever made in my whole life and made going home sooooo much easier! The worst decision we made that week was not driving two or three hours on Sunday to get to the nearest Church, but deciding rather to attend something other than The Church of God--James' old church that used to be the Church. While we were getting ready Sam said with great disgust, "Mom, why are we going to a false church?" Ha! Joe was BEGGING in the middle of the service for me to ple-e-e-e-e-e-ease just let him go out to the van and read his Bible. They were so disturbed by people who were obviously sinners testifying and leading in worship and just being so fake. It was soooooo miserable, but I think it was somehow good for the kids. They have a new and deeper appreciation for God's Church after this. We ALL do. And we're never going back. Of course, we said that the last time we went, three or four years ago.

We visited with Frankie and Pauline and Larry and Mary Ann (all cousins) while in Pennsylvania, watched Bigfoot documentaries and Bonanza on TV, and went shopping at the Peight's (the Amish store we go to) for spices. Lots and lots of super cheap spices.

The last day we were there Katie fell on a trailer hitch while playing in the barn and split her knee open. It wasn't a huge gash, but it was pretty wide. She was adamant about no stitches, so we cleaned it up real good and sealed it shut with some butterfly bandages, then wrapped her leg to keep her from bending her knee. She hobbled around and made the biggest scene and told her story to anybody who would listen for DAYS. ;-) It healed up nicely, though she'll have a scar for the rest of her life I'm sure. No matter. It's on her knee. Nobody will be seeing her knees anyway. ;-)

After six days in Pennsylvania, we drove to Tennessee and spent two nights with Mom & Dad. Joe caught his first catfish while we were there, I was FINALLY able to get a Frisco Melt from Steak 'N Shake, Mom made some memorable burgers (ha!), the kids got in the hot tub, we played some I Buy, did some housework, spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with Laura trying to work out house stuff, got a contract on the Quinncrest Monstrosity, and stayed up past 2:00am talking with Mom. It was a great time. :-)

Ah, yes. I forgot to mention that we obtained a Buick from James' folks while in Pennsylvania (I'm sooooo thankful to have a second car again--it's been so nice!), so James and I each had a vehicle to drive home. I was super tired after my late night with Mom, but we finally made it home that Saturday afternoon, got the vehicles unloaded, and I got everything completely unpacked and put away in an hour and a half! From a three week trip! ~Aaaaaahhh~ It was all thanks to doing the laundry and ironing in Pennsylvania. Brilliant.

There were some kitchen things that didn't get completely put away. And the kids started spreading mess pretty quickly--and I was too tired to oversee any clean-up. And the next morning we were tired and rushed and running behind when we left for church, so the house was pretty well trashed. And when we got home that night we realized that Spencer and Shayla had been here to drop off the truck and pick some things up from the house! I was sooooooooo embarrassed!!! ~sigh~ Oh well. You win some, you lose some. ;-)

The night we got home I got to work on Ladies' Retreat stuff, realizing that it really should have been done a week or two before--but we were at the Assembly at the time.

We started this year's school on September 12th. There were plenty of tears from Katie. She'd been so excited, but suddenly found herself overwhelmed with work that was more difficult than what she had expected. We've had several days of tears since then and several days of smiles. Sam has been whizzing through his 2nd Grade book and is now entering a pre-3rd Grade book. (Don't ask me what that is supposed to mean.) Joe is doing well, seems to enjoy History more than the other subjects, and struggles with science.

I spent lots and lots of time working on stuff for Minister's Convention at the end of September. I LOVED putting together a State Planning Guide, though it wasn't fun ALL the time. ;-) I so rarely get to design anything any more, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's like an art project and a puzzle all rolled into one. Makes me happy. :-) I also did way too much manual tallying of minister's reports and each individual field. (Going to get started on the McGriff program here soon to ease that load next time!) And prepared a class that was supposed to be for the pastors' wives, but ended up being for just any ole' wives. ;-) I felt pretty dumb trying to teach a wives class to people who have been wives--and minister's wives--since before I was born! Ha! But I felt like the Lord helped me and I was so blessed to be able to prepare and teach again. It's strange. I hate being up front. Yet, I feel unfulfilled when I go months and months without doing anything. I loved being with the teen girls at Camp and doing devotions with them. It was such a blessing to ME and I love feeling that sense of purpose, like maybe--just maybe--God can use you to somehow be a blessing to someone else. And I found myself really loving and caring about these strange teenagers. HA! I dread the responsibility of teaching, but I find that I'm happier when I'm forced to do something like that every now and then. Of course, since Minister's Retreat I'm feeling LOTS of purpose and have considered going into a panic over it (Ladies' Retreat coming up, full-time Sunday School teacher now, and newly appointed Band Leader for the teens and youth in our Church--something I am soooooo excited about!), but I'm sure the Lord will help me one step at a time. Especially since that's all I can focus on: one step at a time. ;-)

Let's see... we had a sick dog for about a week and a half, though he never ACTED sick--just ran and romped and pounced and played like always, and never lost his appetite. After plenty of research I determined he was regurgitating rather than vomiting (isn't this a nice blog topic?) one to three times a day. So I found myself praying for a DOG again. ~sigh~ I always feel dumb doing that simply because there are so many things to pray about that are so much more important! Yet, when I have a dog and he's lost or sick, this is what I do. And I have a sick, miserable feeling worrying about him until he's home safe or all better. Dumb. But I've thanked God several times that Charlie seems to be perfectly well now and we no longer call him "Gurge" around here. :-)

Joe broke his first guitar string.

I dug around in our storage unit looking for my crock-pots. Couldn't find them. I miss them. And my loaf pans. And Tupperware. But it's okay. I'm coping. ;-) No complaints here--God has been good to us! And it's really for the best that I couldn't find anything. The last thing we need to do is move MORE stuff into the Powell's house!

More random thoughts...

I walked into church one night and one of the ladies took a whiff and in essence told me that I reeked of Milo's (a burger joint here). HA! Not exactly, but she might read this so I thought I'd add it. ;-)

I fell down the stairs. I think I mentioned that. Actually, I fell ON the stairs not DOWN them as my mother would have done. Then she would have made a sharp right and rolled out the door and off the porch. Just ask her.

We still have a contract on the Monstrosity, but we still have no idea what to expect. I had a glimmer of hope today that things looked favorable, but it had faded back to unlikelihood within a few hours. Ha! I'm still hoping and praying for God to work it out, if it's pleasing to Him. I was reminding myself earlier that faith is the SUBSTANCE of things HOPED FOR and the EVIDENCE of things NOT SEEN. If it's apparent that something is going to work out, there is no faith involved. Much more precious to be able to exercise FAITH and allow God to work on your behalf, regardless of the outcome. It's a blessing to put things in God's hands and ask and trust. I'm still learning so much through this whole house thing and I'm thankful.

And still hoping beyond hope that we can call that big ole' crazy house ours. :-) We should know very soon whether or not that will be the case.

Okay, that's surely enough for one night. I'll try to blog about the Minister's Convention next time and get everything else all caught up to date. You have no idea how much I've skipped over tonight. Blessed. Consider yourselves blessed. :-)

Pictures. I do have a few pictures, though nothing grand. I'll try to post them next time, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this post. Yes it is good to just trust God. When God's direction is clear, it is such a good feeling. We felt so certain of God's will for us being in Korea this year - and still do. But next year is not clear to us at all, so we are in the "...things not seen..." phase now. Continue to pray for us and for the work here.

Vicki Smith said...

The spirit of discernment tells me that anonymous comment is from the Powells. =) Brother and Sister Powell, I'm still praying for you EVERY day.
I was SO GLAD to see a new post from you. Finally! A nice, newsy post--very enjoyable even though there aren't any pictures.
You obviously could take some lessons on how to properly fall on stairs! You just don't know how to do it!
FYI, Wells Fargo called HQ today for verification of employment. AGAIN! HA! If this house goes through, it will surely be a MIRACLE! But that's what God does best! He excells in the miraculous. I'm still praying for you to get the "monstrosity" unless God sees it would be a bad thing for you guys in any way.

cokelady said...

Hahahahahaha! We are STILL verifying employment??? Haven't we been doing that for the past week?! That's hilarious. I mean, almost. If it weren't so sad. ;-) You're wrong, however. It would not be a miracle if we got this house. It would be a whole STACK of miracles all piled up real deep. ;-) By the way, the appraiser DID go through Bentley instead of Laura, so we have every reason to believe that he entered the house and saw and reported on the whole sha-bang. Haven't seen the report yet and don't know what the bank will think of it. Just still praying for a few more miracles to be thrown on the heap. Ha! It's peaceful to be in the midst of uncertainty when you know that God is moving on your behalf. I love it here. :-)

I, too, had discerned that perhaps the Powells were the mystery comment-ers up above. I pray that the Lord will bless them and the work in Korea, and give them very clear guidance as to His next steps for their lives.

Oh, and Mom... YOU need lessons on how to fall ON stairs, not me. Though I wouldn't recommend either, falling ON the stairs is much preferred to falling DOWN them. ;-)

Vicki Smith said...

"falling ON the stairs is much preferred to falling DOWN them. ;-)" I don't know. It sounds like you were in worse shape than I was. And my mother once broke her arm falling ON the stairs, not down.