Monday, October 31, 2011

A GOOD Day

I posted about my bad day today. Now I'll post about our GOOD day yesterday. :-)

Sunday School went well with Sam & Zack and we made lots of fun little fall-leafy-crafts. Not sure they ever got the CONCEPT I was shooting for with the lesson, but I know I tried hard! At least we had crafts... ;-)

James had been asked to preach yesterday morning and he preached a great message. I was so blessed--and felt like perhaps God was giving me some direction and inspiration through it for the class I'm supposed to teach next weekend! Wa-Hoo!

After church we had a pot-luck to raise funds for World Missions. I had been asked to bring lasagna, so I did. James had been dying to make a green chili chicken enchilada to take to a pot-luck here and this was finally his chance! We got there and found that there were two or three pans of lasagna, several pots of spaghetti, garlic bread, salad fixings... and enchilada. HA! Nobody said anything about it being an ITALIAN meal, so James didn't know any better. :-) It didn't seem to matter though--there were no enchilada left-overs.

After the meal there were several of us that just stayed at the church for most or all of the afternoon. It was so nice! I really should have taken play clothes for my family to play in, but I somehow didn't realize that we'd need them. No matter. My boys played football all afternoon in full suits--until I finally stripped their jackets off of them. They looked ready for the game in their shirts and ties then. Ha!

I took very few pictures--though I did take some this time and that's an improvement! Maybe even a first around here, I'm not sure. Brother Washburn somehow got roped into playing kickball with Katie, Katie, and Madison. The two Katie's were team captains and chose took turns choosing their teams. HA! It was hilarious! Katie F. went first and chose Madison, leaving my Katie only one choice: Brother Washburn. "Uummm... okay, I guess I'll pick you!" ;-) I don't know how they kept up with the game with all of the "ghost runners" on the bases all the time, but Brother Mike was kept pretty busy kicking and running there for a while. I was worried he might have a heart attack or something! Ha! It was a great game to watch.


Here are the boys playing flag football and Sister Washburn walking around in the foreground searching for the pipes in the ground so the volleyball net could be put up. Nobody ever found them, though they searched and searched and searched--metal detector and all.

I somehow got roped into a game of horseshoes. I haven't played horseshoes in years--if I've ever played a real game. Brother Ridlespurge gave us some pointers. Here he is showing James how it's done. Look at that form...

Sister Ridlespurge and Brother Booth playing at the opposite end...

And good form or not, check out this shot. :-) He's pointing to his horseshoe that used to be a ringer and I'm pointing to mine--that knocked his out of the way. Oh, happy day. Playing horseshoes is fun, after all!

Thanks to Brother Carpenter scoring lots of points, we won. It was much more fun than I would have expected, being an old man game and all. ;-)

We watched the WMB video in church last night and I was so blessed--again. I just love those. It felt so good to just be in church and with church people all day yesterday. It was a wonderful break from the Monstrosity and I loved being able to just get away--mentally more than physically--and it felt like everything was just so refreshing to me.

Ah, yes. Speaking of the Monstrosity... Sam decided to build it out of Legos a few days ago. Ha! I know you can't really tell in the pictures, but his model has a full basement, a first floor--complete with a light rigged up to a battery pack, and an upstairs. It also has four pillars out front and the muscadine awning thing off the end of the house. :-)

6 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

You have been SO GOOD to blog! I'm loving it. In a mostly blogless world, you are a breath of fresh air. :-)
Love Sam's rendition of the Monstrosity! What an amazing kid.
--I'm home from Nicaragua. I was able to check on your blog on my iPhone. I didn't take my laptop for security reasons, but there was WIFI in the hotels we stayed in and I could have been able to comment and blog from there. There were several times I wished I'd taken it, but at least that many times or more that I was glad I didn't. Our luggage was often in the back of an open pick-up truck, it rained a lot while we were there, and there were MANY bodies crammed inside the 2 vehicles we traveled in. I survived without it. It was really nice to still be able to see your blog via my phone.

Tammy Washburn said...

Ours is the only crazy church that plays outside in suits & ties...Ha! I didn't change into play clothes because I had no intention of playing. I tried the horseshoes once, but could just feel the ol' shoulder say..."Nope, let's not do that." :)

Mike survived the kickball game. (If the Italian food didn't kill him, he's fine.) Poor Katie H., hope she didn't have to suffer too much with him on her team.

I now think someone dug the volleyball pipes up with the express intention of driving Bro. Will crazy. Ha!

Sam did a good job on the Leggo house. Now he needs to make a peacock to go in it. :)

Gene and Sheila Powell said...

Sister Tammy, why is it you want Brother Mike to come to Korea? Oh, you think the Kimchi would really do him in! Okay, so this is a tacky comment and certainly one Sister Tammy did not originate. But Brother Mike is just the perfect . Those volleyball pipes were PVC, so no help from a metal detector. I think I wrote down the distances from the wall and from the door ---. It will be easier to find the pipes than those notes. Sorreee. Yes, Brother Mike is the perfect target for good tacky comments. Love all of you. Thank you Sister Horne for helping us stay in touch. Eager for Bessemer to get high speed internet so we can be with you for some services via Skype.

cokelady said...

So glad you're home safe from your trip, Mom--it was great catching up a little bit today.

Sister Tammy, NO MORE PEACOCKS!!! Are you friend or foe??? ;-)

Brother Powell, Brother Will was just SURE that you would have written down the formula or drawn a map or counted steps or SOMETHING to be able to find those pipes in the ground. :-) He's probably foaming at the mouth by now if he hasn't found them yet. Ha! I think it would be GREAT for the church to be set up with high speed Internet so it would be possible to Skype. But... would that require a business conference?! ;-)

Gene and Sheila Powell said...

Look for the volleyball net map in Brother Hopkins office. I cannot even remember if I did one or if I saved it. But I do seem to remember measuring to make one. And possibly used it once to find them again.

Tammy Washburn said...

Where'd my post go???

Bro. Powell, Mike is definitely perfect to pick on and I enjoy doing it. Ha! If we ever get to Korea we'll have to forego the Kimchi. :-) and keep Mike in our prayers.

After I used Bro. Will's metal detector for 30 minutes, it's nice to know that the pipes were plastic. Ha! However, if we ever need money, there seems to be lots of pennies and nickles hidden under the ground. lol. Since we know the pipes are off from the door, that might help.