Saturday, October 22, 2011

Started on the House!

I have completed the first four hours of work on the new house! Wa-Hoo!!! But before I get into that, let me ask a question.

IF...

...a person was to be moving… and she knew from experience that they were the kind of family who would buy a real cheap house that needed lots of work… and that they’d have the privilege of living in a beautiful home while they fixed up the one they bought… and that they would need access to important things like PAINT SWATCHES in order to fix up said house… and IF said person had thought while packing up the previous house, “Hhmmm, I’d better pack these paint colors in a place where I know I will have easy access to them and be able to find them right away when we need them—and make sure they’re not stuffed somewhere that will only be discovered after the renovation is completed and we’re moving in”… and IF said person is SURE that she packed these paint swatches with such a thought in mind…

BUT said person has gone to the storage unit and looked in the two places she was sure they would be (the box with the contents of the junk drawer and the big blue bin full of paint and wallpaper supplies) and was saddened to learn that they weren’t there… and then said person had an epiphany and rushed home to look in the two little plastic bins in the top of her closet—the ones that were the “catch all” at the end of the move—just sure that the swatches must be there (but of course they weren’t)… and then said person looked through the dresser where she keeps some of her important books and things… and then in the utility room with some cleaning supplies… and then in the drawer by the bed… and then in her laptop case (would’ve found ‘em if I’d thought to be ‘em there)… and then in the little box of her desk supplies that was in the back corner of the boys' closet... and then went to the basement and rummaged through dozens of boxes of miscellaneous junk… then came and emptied out the front closet and dug through all of those boxes… then started looking in the Powell’s junk drawers just in case… then on top of the fridge and underneath the couches because she’s running out of ideas…

But if this person is still sure that she packed the dumb paint swatches in a SMART PLACE where she was SURE she would FIND THEM…

WHERE SHOULD SHE LOOK NEXT????

Now that I’ve asked my question, back to the subject at hand. I’ve spent the first four hours devoted to the Monstrosity in the futile pursuit of paint swatches. Why, you may ask, is it so important to locate those colors? Why not just pick new paint colors? In fact, said person’s daughter did ask such a question. She was answered with maniacal laughter, flailing arms and colorful stories about purchasing many, many buckets of paint that were beautiful on the dippy little card but gag inducing on a wall. When you finally acquire a color that you love in your house instead of on the card it is vital, yes, even sanity saving, that you not lose it. Especially when you have just bought a HUGE house that needs paint. Everywhere. Desperately. So the search continues…

But I am TOTALLY out of ideas. No clue where to search next. Maybe they’re in the crock-pots that I couldn’t find a week or two ago. Or maybe…

5 comments:

Tammy Washburn said...

They let you buy little samples or quarts of paint now. You don't have to buy a whole gallon to pick a color :)
~I only said that because I can't hear the maniacal laugh across cyberspace. LOL!~

Vicki Smith said...

Said person didn't tuck them in her wallet, did she? Probably not--too many swatches. They're probably someplace said person has already looked. Perhaps said person should get the children to look in some of those same places. Or, maybe a desk drawer? In the chuckwagon table?

Vicki Smith said...

P.S.-- I hope this isn't a precursor to how productive all your 4-hour-work-slots are going to be! :-(

Jessa Stephens said...

FOR REAL!!!!!! You got the monstrosity!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooo behind, but I'm SOOOO happy for you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God is SOooooo wonderful! :-D

can't wait to see pics of your your projects!!!! Your monstrosity is going to be beautiful!!!!!!!!!

cokelady said...

Sister Tammy -- even those little quart cans of paint get pricey after the fifth or sixth WRONG color. ;-)

Mom -- Said person no longer has a wallet. NO, I didn't lose it. HA! I just decided to utilize all of the handy little pockets in my purse instead of a wallet. In any case, said person is probably going to be digging through LOTS of boxes from the storage units. I've already looked everywhere I can think to look here at the house. TWICE. Or more.

JESSA!!! I have tried to comment on your blog again and again and I just can't get it to work! It won't let me sign in to my account or something. Every so often I go and read all of the posts that I'd fallen behind on, then I write up a great big comment, then it won't post it! I'll keep trying though. :-) Anyway, YES, we got the Monstrosity!!! HA! It's so crazy! I knew you'd be excited. :-) Thank you for your prayers!!! We spent our first day working there today and got lots done. Soooooo much work awaiting us there, but it felt good to put in our first good, long, hard day. I've already been taking pictures. :-)