Sunday, November 8, 2009

Yet Farther Behind

Seems I'll never catch up on the blog thing. Just can't seem to get on top of the game and STAY there, you know? In my own defense, however, I must say that I have been away from home and with people. And that pretty much squashes any chance of blogging for me.

We have now completed all of our visits to the churches in Colorado and also enjoyed staying with Jon & Em, the Hays, and the Clarks. What fun! We've had good fun, good fellowship and wa-a-a-a-a-ay too much good food. Just like Church of God folks. :-) I'll have to write more when I get a chance to go through my camera and look at the pictures, but I'm too tired and lazy to go find it right now. All I really remember is having a truly grand time on this trip and loving every minute of it.

We left Craig this afternoon and made it to Montrose. We saw hundreds of deer between Craig and Rifle--it was AMAZING. I saw one herd that had to have at least 70 deer, probably more than that. I kept wishing Dad was with us--he would have loved it! Sam was pretty excited about it though and kept his eyes peeled looking for more. We saw several really, really nice bucks that will probably have a difficult time making it through hunting season. ;-)

We stopped at Taco Time in Delta so we could enjoy some crisp meat burritos and cherry empanadas (yum!), then came on to Montrose and found this adorable little motel called Affordable Inn or something like that. I LOVE IT! Not only is it affordable, as advertised, but it's just NOT a chain motel and I love that! It's nice and clean--and it doesn't look like all of the other rooms you stay in. Two of the walls of the room are brick, there are cute little things around and a fancy shower curtain and stuff like that. Instead of the typical room numbers, each door has a hand painted wooden plaque that has the number in "dotted" letters (dots where all the lines meet) and little flowers and vines painted around it. And I have a real door knob!!! With a KEY instead of a little piece of plastic with holes in it or one with a black strip across the back! How cool is that?! I didn't even KNOW hotels had door knobs anymore! This is the kind of joint I would run if I had my own. It just makes you happy, you know? :-)

So tomorrow we will drive through that GORGEOUS part of Colorado (we've already been through several of those--but this is one of my most favoritest of all) down through Ouray and Silverton into the four corners area. Not sure what time we'll make it home tomorrow night, but I intend to thoroughly enjoy ever inch of the drive between here and there. :-) :-) :-)

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Hey, I think we've stayed in that motel. When you're driving south from Delta, when you got to Hwy. 50 did you turn left and the motel was down there on the right? If not, there's more than one adorable, quaint, NON-chain motel that is old fashioned and charming. We actually stayed in that motel for one of our anniversaries. We had like a little apartment--it had a little eat-in kitchen, a living room and a separate bedroom. It had knotty pine paneling and was real cute. Those kinds of motels are FEW and FAR BETWEEN. It's comforting to know there are still a few out there.
I trust your drive home has been awe-inspiring and breathtaking. I would have loved to have been there to "ooh" and "ahh" with you.

Jessa Stephens said...

lol yup us Church Of God people sure love to eat.=) I love hotels like that, they really are the best. Glad your trip(s) are going well... and safe!

Rebekah Doran said...

Glad to hear that you have had a good trip. That would be nice to find a hotel like that. I'm guessing that you are safely home now. Have you caught up on all your laundry yet?