Wednesday, June 3, 2009

BTI Pictures!

Today was a long, dirty, smelly, productive day around here. We were able to get our log sided home nearly completely stained/sealed today. James will finish up the rest tomorrow and I should be able to steer clear of the rest of the project. That's my plan anyway. Today I primarily taped off doors, windows, sidewalks, lights, outlets, and anything else that would have otherwise received overspray. And I crawled around on the roof, leaning over the edge, painting the penofin on the eave. Finished up my part of the job! :-)

And that was pretty much our day around here. So without further adieu, here are some BTI pictures! Of course, I'm not at BTI this year so I have to post pictures from previous BTI's. I thought it would be fun! So here are some pictures of the very first year! Mom, be sure to show some of the current students who are enjoying that beautiful building what those of us enjoyed the FIRST year! Ha! What great memories. :-) This first picture is one of my all time favorites.



The trip to BTI that first year was a doosie! I think it took us 12 or 14 hours to make it to Hays, Kansas (usually a 5 hour drive) due to problems with whatever clunker truck Dad had at the time. We finally got to Hays and blew a tire. Ha! All in all, it took us 44 hours to get to Cleveland. And Tammy and Cathy and I rode the whole way in the back of that truck with all of the heat, humidity and FUMES that were pouring in from a damaged valve or pipe or something on the truck... What a trip! I wouldn't trade that memory for anything. :-)

Here we are in Hays, waiting for Dad to get a new tire so we could continue on our little adventure.



And this is what Headquarters looked like at the time! We three girls spent the two weeks living in that camper parked outside. Ah yes, great memories of that, too! Some I'm too embarassed to mention on my blog... Ha!



This was taken a few months later, I think, at Assembly time. This is the inside of the Zion Hill church when we had the dedication service for Headquarters.



Back to BTI, we may not have had all of the comforts that this year's students are enjoying, but we had Brother Covey as a teacher. :-)



Here are our guys again. Don't get the wrong impression. They weren't doing anything the least bit spiritual. As I recall, they were clucking like chickens in four part harmony.



We didn't FEEL cool, though we had fans sitting ALL OVER THE PLACE blowing full blast, so we had to LOOK cool. Ri-i-i-i-i-i-ight!



I'd say everybody has changed just a little bit in the past 15 years, wouldn't you? I think they were singing Father Abraham. Not sure why...



Here's Dad, trying to ensure we have a faster, easier trip back to Colorado than we had to Tennessee!



We three! :-) A few pounds ago... Ha! Cathy and I were talking about how we always thought we were overweight when we were teenagers and wished we could lose just 5 or 10 pounds. Now we look back and say, "What were we THINKING?! I'd LOVE to be that size again!" Ha! Such is life. Tammy, on the other hand, is bigger than she's ever been and sooooo happy to be that way. :-) And she looks GREAT pregnant!


So there you have it. 1st Term BTI back in 1994. At least the parts I'm willing to remember and post on my blog for all the world to see. :-) Sorry about the poor quality. I'm too lazy to go find the scanner and hook it up. Besides, it takes forever to scan in each picture! So I'm just using my camera and taking pictures of the old pictures in my photo albums, but I have to take them at an angle otherwise the flash makes a huge glare. Thought I'd explain in case anybody was wondering why everything looks a little short and wide and squatty. Now you know. ;-)

6 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I wondered why the pictures were such poor quality. If you're wanting me to print off any more 8"x10" photos of past students being ridiculous to put in their current classroom where they are now the instructor you should get me a better quality photo to reproduce. For starters, you could at least turn off your flash and photograph the photograph stright on! (Lazy child.) But THANKS for the pictures (well, except for 1 or 2) and the great memories. That first BTI will NEVER be forgotten! And there will never be another one to compare to it. How privileged and honored we are to have suffered through the heat, humidity, vehicle catastrophes and all the emotional side effects. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Montgomery's said...

Great pictures and great memories. It's amazing how much things changed in just one year. At least the second year we had AC. Fun pictures, thanks for sharing.

Momma Tammi said...

Great stroll down memory lane. I'll never forget one trip, the car overheating and as we sat on the side of the interstate, waiting for it to cool down, in rush hour traffic, in Nashville, Brother Shuler pulled out a golf club and began practicing his golf swing. You just don't get those kinds of memories on other kinds of trips.

Tammy K. said...

Bec there were a few great pictures and memories you did not post HA!!!!
Those pictures were 15 yrs ago. That is crazy. Everyone looks so young. What great memories.... Remember how strong the Lord was that year? Everything bad thing brought 3 good things. I loved that year.
Tomorrow is BTI 2nd term right?

Dave and Melissa said...

Wow. Great post. :) I too look @ pictures of me @ 16 and remember thinking I sholud loose 10 pounds. We were
D-U-M dumb ! I'd like to look like that again, a whole size smaller! Anyway...... B T I was awesome . I hope our kids can experence all the same spirit and fun we did :) .

cokelady said...

Mom -- I feel sorry for people who haven't learned how to treasure those miserable experiences for the fantastic memories they create! Ha!

Amy -- You're right, it was a WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD by the time 2nd Term rolled around. I love the memories of suffering through 1st Term... but I'm real glad for the improvements by the next year!

Sister Tammi -- I can SO see Uncle Colin doing that! Ha! Talk about great memories... :-)

Tammy -- I am FULLY AWARE of the pictures and stories I didn't post. They were omitted for a reason, lady! ;-) Isn't it SO CRAZY that we're saying things like "15 years ago" and "we looked so young"?!?!? It's just not right! I still feel 17... and I think I like living in denial. :-)

Melissa -- I fully expect our kids to have the same great BTI experiences that we did. Just think of the pile of kids who will turn 16 and be able to go together all in that one year: Caleb Smith, your twins, Bethany Lewis, Cainan Clarkson, Katie... who am I forgetting??? Anyway, it's going to be a GREAT year for our kids AND for BTI. :-)