Monday, May 25, 2009

Suddenly So Tired

Don't know how it happened, but I'm suddenly feeling completely wiped out. And for no reason--James did all the work today! I'm finishing up on the last of the laundry and I had hopes of doing the ironing tonight, too, but I've changed my mind. I think I'm going to blog and go to bed instead. It's sounding like a much better plan at the moment.

I spent 2 or 3 hours online Friday night, looking at dozens upon dozens upon dozens of websites for campgrounds that might work for our Family Camp next year or for Minister's Retreat this fall. I searched within a 300 mile radius (crazy, hu?!) of our zip code and was shocked when the first campground on the list was IN our zip code! Who knew?!?!? It's probably 8 or 10 miles away from our house, as the crow flies. Taking the actual roads it's 16 miles away. I took down tons of information on several different campgrounds and intend to make lots of phone calls this week and see if we have any options at all.

Saturday morning we loaded up the fam and headed in to the great big, giant flea market, the one that covers acres and acres. The only trouble is that it was rainy and about 80% of the vendors didn't show up! It was just as well with me. I'd rather spend less than an hour walking around a practically vacant lot on a nice, cool day through a little bit of drizzle than to wiggle my way through hordes of people and hundreds of booths filled with junk I don't want anyway on a hot, sweaty, smelly day that's "better for business." Since there wasn't a whole lot to see there James took us to two or three indoor flea market type places and we enjoyed walking around, though I don't think we bought anything. Then we drove down "Antique Alley" and made a couple of stops, just 'cuz we were still in the mood.

We decided to try to find that campground before going home, so we meandered up this steep and windy little highway, up, up, up to a beautiful area and found it without any problem. I was in love with the place before we ever even got out of the car. It was gorgeous. The camp dude (manager?) was very, very friendly and showed us around the entire facility. He reminded me a little bit of the dad from the Incredibles. Ha! Anyway, the campground wasn't anything hoity-toity, but it was pristine. The dorms were fantastic and they actually did have 7 family-style rooms available as well (for more $, of course), the chapel was perfect and just the right size for us, the bathrooms were so clean and set up perfectly--oh! And there was GRASS! Lots of thick, lush, green grass!!! Can you imagine?! All we've had the past several years has been a field of DIRT. Or if we play water games, a MUDHOLE. Ha! There were two volleyball courts and a softball field, a whole bunch of different ropes courses out in the woods (a Jacob's ladder thingie, a zip line, a spider web thingie and who knows what all else), then they had this little gold mine area with a well and two or three mines (not real ones--just that they had built to look like the real thing) and... ~sigh~ And so much more. But, alas, we're too poor. We might could work it out for a Minister's Retreat... if so many of our folks didn't have to bring their kids with them. It's just way, way too much money since most of our people have 3-5 children. OH! And a swimming pool! They had the most beautiful, clean and heated pool I've ever seen in my life (perhaps because it's been years since I've seen one up close?) surrounded by a 6' privacy fence the whole way around. Could it get any more perfect?!?!? ~Ugh~ It's really just torture to think about it. Especially when I think of the contrast between this place and where we go for Camp! Ha! How many folks do you know who have "bug bombs" on their camp list? ;-) It doesn't much matter though. Everybody loves Camp and would endure just about anything to be there. We've got so many great memories thanks to Mountainair, and I'm sure we'll make some more this year. And we'll all work together and laugh our way through them. It's all good and I'm thankful to have a place that is sooooo cheap and our big families are able to afford. God is good to have blessed us with it. :-)

I stayed up Saturday night working on my VLB service. I have had the topic on my heart for weeks, but still had a terrible time getting it all put together! I finally gave up and went to bed, hoping it would come together in the afternoon.

We had a stressful morning service. That's not entirely accurate. I had a stressful morning service! Just little issues with the kids kept me distracted and I felt like I missed most of what was going on. The kids had a very unpleasant day, too. I spent all afternoon working on my VLB service, up until the moment we walked out the door--and I had just sort of stopped where I was, with no conclusion or anything. ?! That sort of thing freaks me out!!! I felt like I was just barely touching on things that could go so much deeper (if only I could figure out how!) and like it was all sort of scattered and incomplete. But everybody seemed to enjoy it okay anyway. I never know whether to be relieved or insulted when that happens. Ha! It's like when you look terrible and frumpy and gross and your husband chooses that day to complement you and tell you how nice you look. Kinda makes you want to knock his block off. ;-)

After service last night we went to McAllister's with Sister Galiviz. I was so glad she was there. Not only do I really enjoy her company, but she split a club sandwich with me that I otherwise would have eaten myself and been miserable for. ;-) We had a nice time, then let the kids run through the fountain outside before heading home. I think Sister Galaviz would have joined them if it hadn't been so chilly out. :-)

Once we got the kids to bed I finally started working on the Western Skies. I was up pretty late and got quite a bit done, so that's good. I spent most of today working on it, as well. That and making or receiving quite a few phone calls. I hate being on the phone all day. Even if they are good and useful calls--the necessary kind that have to be made--it just feels like you're not accomplishing anything! Some of the calls today accomplished a whole lot and answered a lot of questions, provided lots of necessary information and all that kind of thing... but ya' still feel like you've been loafing, you know?! Of course, the other reason I might feel that way is because of that marvellous husband of mine...

While I was working on the paper today, James snuck into the kitchen and started working on lunch. He grilled steaks that he had bought for the holiday, baked some potatoes on the grill, and boiled some corn on the cob to go with it. Yum! He even sliced and sugared some strawberries for the strawberry shortcake! After lunch he went to the store to pick up a few things, came home and cut up the left-over steaks, some chicken, and some left-over pork chops from the other night, mixed 'em with who-knows-what all and let them marinade for a couple of hours, then cooked up some truly fantastic fajitas for dinner tonight--and some fried potatoes, too. WOW!!! What a guy! All I have to do is clean up the mess! What a bargain. :-) It was sooooo nice and allowed me to get a whole lot more done on the paper than I otherwise would have.

And that's about it from here. I've got a few final touches to add to the paper, but they can wait until tomorrow.

Oh, I thought I'd go ahead and post this picture. It's not for the purpose of inviting all of you blog people to the shower and thereby obligating you to drive or fly thousands of miles OR to try to squeeze any gifts out of you. (Though I'm sure they would be most appreciated. You may send them to... --JUST KIDDING!) It's just that I so rarely do anything "crafy" that I felt the need to share. The invitations were quite simple, but that's a very, very good thing because Tammy knows a whole lot of people! Anything more complicated than this and I would probably still be working on them! Ha! Anyway, here it is, Mom--I know you asked to see it.

Hhmmm. For some reason the picture looks rather blurry. I think it has something to do with the way I saved it after I blanked out the location. I felt the need to do that in case any weird, stalking-type people from New York might be out there... Ha!

5 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

The shower invitation is adorable! That's really special. Thanks for letting me see it. Sue was right.

I'm always glad to see a new post and hear what all's going on.

Tammy K. said...

Looks like you have been busy.
I am so glad you posted the invitation, I had thought about. It is to cute to not share. Good idea to blank out the address. Your so smart.
How nice for James to make a nice lunch yesterday.

EmileeAnn said...

The shower invitations turned out really great, Becki!

Kasey said...

very nice. I couldn't-a-dun it. how as that english? Nice though!!

Vicki Smith said...

YOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!! It's now FRIDAY and your last post was on Monday. What, pray tell, is your excuse this time? You're in town; you don't have company; there are no PEOPLE to distract you . . . the least you could do is get on here and tell your troubles and solicit some prayer!