Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Wonderful Husband

Somehow I seem to have failed to post about how great he's been lately! First of all, he let me sleep in way, way too late on Saturday. The wood blinds were closed (I always try to open them when I go to bed so I can wake up to sunshine) and our room stays pretty much like a cave that way. When I woke up it looked and felt like 6:00 in the morning... but I was over three hours wrong!!! Can you imagine?! I had noooooo idea it was that late. I didn't know I could even sleep in that late anymore! Crazy! James had been up with the kids, taking care of breakfast and keeping them occupied and quiet so I wouldn't wake up. Wow! What a guy!

I finally got up and going and James said he was going to Wal-Mart... with all three kids! Whoa! So they all went and did some shopping, allowing me some all alone time to work on getting unpacked and settled back in after our trip. James took the kids out to lunch, too, then when he came home he brought me some really pretty roses and a pizza to throw in the oven for dinner. Can you imagine?! I was quite suspicious, I assure you. It was reminiscent of a certain someone who calls on occasion and starts the conversation all sugary. "Well, hello there, Sister Becki!!! And how is my favorite overseer's wife doing today? You know, it was just such a privilege to have you guys come and spend some time with us..." And so on. It always REALLY creeps me out, mostly because it's the prelude to a request or favor that they feel they need to butter you up for, you know? And... well, just because it's really creepy! Well, I've been watching for days now and James still hasn't asked me for any big or crazy favors, so I'm inclined to believe that he was really, truly just being an amazingly sweet and thoughtful husband!

And just a little while ago I sat down with a bowl of blackberries covered in milk and sugar (food of the gods, I tell you... if it's proper to make such statements! Ha!) because James bought some berries for me yesterday "just because" he knows how much I lo-o-o-o-o-ove them. Wowzers! I'm beginning to feel rather spoiled. I kinda like it. ;-) James is usually a pretty great husband, but he's been excelling here lately. I'm wondering how long he can keep it up at this rate. Perhaps if I keep blogging about his progress (and failures?) it will keep him motivated. (Just kidding, Dear!)

Today has been a productive day that didn't feel at all productive. I had a pretty good list of things to accomlish and I was able to mark them all off, but they were the kind of things that don't FEEL like you're getting anything done. Devotions and school with the kids, of course. Then I spent quite a while finalizing some contracts with the campgound we use for our Ladies' and Men's Retreats, getting some things printed that I've needed to for days now, working on some Regional paper stuff, and lots and lots of phone calls concerning all of the above. Oh, and I got a whole bunch of thank you cards written out. That was a biggie.

We had Home Missions service tonight at Sister Grimes' house, then we stopped by a pet store and James bought 10 fish at .26 cents apiece for the pond. He filled it up this week, so he figured we'd try to keep some fish again this year. I don't know if they'll make it or not. They're pretty tiny and we learned last year that little garter snakes with itty-bitty mouths are able to eat fish sigificantly bigger around than themselves! We haven't seen any snakes yet this year and are hoping the fish grow a whole lot before they show up. Time will tell!

That's about it from here. Short and sweet! Whadya' know?! ;-)

4 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

I didn't know that you liked blackberries. They are my favorites, but I like them all by themselves. How wonderful to get to sleep in and then have roses, pizza and blackberries and some alone time...wow! Good job Brother James!

Tammy K. said...

what a guy.... Becki that is so sweet. He really spoiled you keep it up James. :o)
last week you had an alone day in town and the love keeps pouring out.
I hope the fish don't get eaten.

Vicki Smith said...

Was one of the cards you mailed my Mother's Day card????? ;-)

cokelady said...

Sister Tammi -- I don't think I've ever met a berry that I didn't love, but blackberries are the very best of all. I'm sure there will be lots of them in heaven. :-)

Tammy -- Isn't it cool? I sort of like being spoiled. :-)

Mom -- I ALREADY TOLD YOU ONE OF THEM WAS YOUR MOTHER'S DAY CARD. You just ha-a-a-a-ad to come here and say it publicly, didn't you??? ;-)