Saturday, March 14, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

I hate them. Always have, always will. I wish you could live life entirely without them, just always knowing what to make for dinner, if you should buy those jeans or if the kid will grow out of them too soon, should you wear your favorite sweater today or save it for another time??? And my present dilemma: WHAT COLOR OF PAINT IS THE RIGHT COLOR OF PAINT?! That's always one of the very, very hardest decisions--one that I hate more passionately than all of the other decisions I hate to make. I've learned that I usually make a whole lot of bad decisions in this area before the right one ever comes to me, if it comes to me. That's why I tend to use the same colors over and over again. I finally found what I LIKED; why take a chance on screwing it up?! Well, I was ready to branch out and try something new in our bedroom. ~sigh~ I guess I'll never learn. But first...

It's been a good couple of days, all in all. This is what we woke up to yesterday. :-)



Purty, hu? We've still never gotten what I would consider a good snow (5 or 6 inches, at least), but I'm thankful for the little, tiny bits that we've had several times this winter. Some day I'll be able to celebrate them with puzzles and hot chocolate, but not until we finish working on this house. The kids were able to make the best of it, however! They finished school up before noon so they could spend the rest of the day in the snow. Katie and Sam decided that the trampoline was the best spot to go to work.



Sam built the large, muddy snowman at the edge of the yard and Katie transported her baby snowman over next to him. I'm having a hard time thinking it's cute right at this moment because when I see this picture all I really see is that little carrot nose. I pulled that nasty, dirty, dingy, soggy carrot out of a little boys' pocket while I was sorting clothes to wash a little while ago. Bleagh! Kids are so gross!

I spent the afternoon painting the ceiling in our bedroom, as well as the linen closet in there. (Green shelves in that closet--I love 'em!) James was good to occupy the kids, even taking over the next Pink Princess Cookbook project! Ha! White chocolate pretzel dragonflies. YUM. Wow, if I've ever had a weakness I think it's white chocolate covered pretzels. I could eat them by the pound! I never did get hungry enough to eat dinner last night, but I had plenty of pretzels--every time I walked by!



They look like dragonflies... right???



Meanwhile, I was in our bedroom painting one wall red. This is where the I-Hate-Making-Decisions thing comes in. I had it in my brain that I wanted one red splotchy wall in our room, using that same faux technique we do with the brown and cream. It looked gorgeous in my mind, but it's so tricky to get the same result to actually happen in real life! It's hard enough to pick a paint color that's not going to be disastrous once it's on your wall (they all look good on the little cards, you know), but it's 10 times harder to pick two colors, and get the desired effect on the wall with the new color the two of them create together.

As you can see, Plan A didn't work, so we tried every possible combination with every color of paint we had on hand, mixing some of them together to get new colors to mix with the first color. Crazy!!! This is what it looked like when we gave up and went to bed last night. I needed to sleep on it and start fresh in the morning! We ended up not going with any of these combos.
I picked the two that I hated the least and mixed them together to get a whole new combination. Here's a picture of it with our bedspread... on legs. ;-)

Please tell me the wall doesn't look pink!!!!! Purple in the boys' room, now pink in my room... I should be fired!!! Ha! Actually, the flash from the camera makes everything look a little bit brighter than it really is and I don't think it looks so mauvish in person. I keep telling myself that once we get moved in and have that wall covered up with some rustic decor I'm going to love it! :-)

James was pretty busy today as well. He was gone to town for the first half of the day, then came home with some more paint rollers for me... and a really great Lay-Z-Boy swivel recliner for $50! It's in great condition, it's just the right size (not too huge), and the colors will work just right in the den. Wa-Hoo! I was just praying yesterday for God to provide a couple of chairs for that room. Who wants to have a freshly remodeled den with no furniture?! Ha! James also found two green wingback chairs for $20 or $30 apiece (can't remember which) a couple of months ago, so now we have one in the living room and one to go in our bedroom. It's amazing to me that God takes such good care of us. He provides for all of our needs, then goes wa-a-a-a-a-ay beyond that and provides so many things that aren't necessities at all, just "extras," I call them. He's so good to us.

James brought home the supplies to make the shelves for the boys' closet. We struggled to get them hung straight, but we finally just called it good. :-) I got those stained (opted against paint in there) as well as the jail door and some of the trim that needed darkened. It's lookin' good out there!

So now it's Saturday night. My room is painted (all of the walls--I did that after I finally finished the red one), we had Papa Murphy's pizza for dinner (thanks again, James!), everybody has been bathed and the kids are sound asleep. I've got the laundry started, in hopes of being able to complete it between services tomorrow so I can do the ironing tomorrow night after church. That's usually Monday's job, but I've got wallpapering to do after school on Monday so I'm trying to get a step ahead if I can. In the meantime, I'm really looking forward to a day "off" (laundry isn't all that taxing) tomorrow and being able to wear nice, clean clothes and go to church and get my mind off of house stuff for a little while. I'm really ready for some good services!

7 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I think the wall looks great! The quilt with legs is a nice touch. --You're WAY too picky about such things. Like you said, you'll cover up a lot of it with cute stuff and it'll look just fine, even if it's not what you imagined in your head. And I know you're going to LOVE your freshly painted closet. That always feels so good. I'm anxious to see the finished projects! Not as anxious as YOU are, I'm sure. Meanwhile, we got to move back into our bedroom last night after sleeping in the guest room for the past 3 months. My, how time flies when you're... remodeling. HA!

Kasey said...

I think the wall looks rusty red colored.

Momma Tammi said...

Looks red to me. I like it...but I guess that doesn't matter, YOU have to like it since you'll be sleeping in there.

peaceinchaos said...

It looks a deep dusty rose color, that isn't pink but hey you can say "pink the new _____________" (I couldn't come up with a good non pink word other than black and that is depressing)

donaldestep2 said...

Certainly, being a man I am no expert on such things, but if it means anything, I like the wall. And the snow men are great. We only get ice nowadays, and never enough snow to build a snowman. I am so jealous. Who wants to make an iceman?

marvoop said...

No fair, where is our snow???

Tammy Washburn said...

I like the wall. So your snow wasn't melted by noon, huh?
:)