Saturday, December 6, 2008

Just Touching Base

I'm sorry to say I haven't the energy to try to post about our glorious week with the Hays family. That will have to wait until next time. But I wanted to at least say IT WAS GREAT!!! And I'll do my best to remember all of the highlights and, as far as Brother Dustin is concerned, blunders. ;-)

Our company pulled out this morning and we weren't too far behind them! James had scheduled himself to preach in Salida tomorrow morning, so we made the five and a half our trip up today. It was great! I had intended to take a nap, but I had brought along Book 5 of the O'Malley series and got sucked in. :-) I think I read about 11 chapters on the way here, with breaks here and there to enjoy the scenery and such. I took this picture on the drive. I'll probably be able to crop it and use it for the Western Skies header next time around.

We got a great price at the Days Inn here in Salida, so we checked in and drug all of our stuff in from the Envoy, then headed to the Country Bounty for dinner. GOOD GRACIOUS!!! Their prices are soooooooo outrageous now!!! But "for old times' sake" (and lack of a better option!) we went ahead and ate there. The food was good and we had a nice time.

It was dark by the time we finished dinner, so we headed down town to check out Holiday Park. Different businesses or individuals decorate the trees and there is a path to walk through and look at them all.


The kids seemed to enjoy it, but it got COLD before we were finished. And none of them have the good sense to zip up their coats apparently!

James took this picture, hoping to get Christmas Mountain in the background. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get a good picture of it! For those who don't know, they string Christmas lights all over the mountain to the east of Salida in the shape of a giant Christmas tree.

We loaded up and drove around town looking at the Christmas lights, then took the kids past the house where 2/3 of them were born. ;-) We stopped by the Subway/Bryers to get everybody an ice cream cone...

...then we ran to Wal-Mart and grabbed a couple of snacks. We had thought to throw in the DVD player, so now we're back at the room watching Holiday Inn (in color, even!) before putting the kids to bed. So it's been a nice little mini-vacation for us!

Tomorrow we'll have church here in Salida, then head to 'Springs. We hope to get there in time for at least most of their service. Afterwards James is hoping to walk around Old Colorado City with all of the Christmas lights and decor, after which we'll be spending the night with Dustin & Jamey--one last night of fun with them, I guess! Ha! We'll head home on Monday, so that's probably when you'll hear from me next. But I thought I'd post at least this much for now. I hope everybody has a great Sunday!

7 comments:

Marcia Brooks said...

Sounds like you had an enjoyable time in Salida. Praying you all have a safe trip to Colo Springs and home. Wish I could see those beautiful mountains with snow in person. Thanks for the picture.

ToughLady said...

After ladies retreat a few of us went into salida we ate at country bounty also and was floored at the prices to so we ordered something really cheap.

peaceinchaos said...

Ok, so Sis. Janis stole my comment, but we were amazed at the prices at country bounty. I personally wasn't impressed with the meal. And....if I can vent more....they had to kill the cow first. Oh, by the way, thought I might see what this blogging is about...heheheh.

Kevin Fearer said...

Hey glad you had such a great week. Awesome Pictures!!!
Hope everyone else is doing well, tell James hey for us.

Kevin

Tammy K. said...

Fun pictures. Christmas is so fun. When are you coming here?????
Bro.James come here for a visit.
Glad you had a good time w/the hays I will be waiting for the pictures.

~Amy said...

Very cool pictures. The trees are so pretty and the kids look like they're having such a great time. :D We're planning on taking Jackson to Rock City when we get down there for Christmas. They have it all spiffied up in similar flair, so I'm excited to see his expression.

LOVE the pic of the mountains. Like Sister Marcia, I want to see them in person, too. But it would be the first time for me. Biggest mountain I've ever seen is Mt. Fuji in Japan, but it's kinda just sitting there as a loner, so it's sort of weird looking. Nothing like that. ;0) What's sad is I've even been to Alaska, but I didn't see any mountains because it was in the airport and it was pitch black outside. Couldn't see a thing. Some day ....

donaldestep2 said...

Wow...you guys seem to have had a great time! I love the pics, especially the Christmas lights.