Thursday, February 2, 2012

Packing Break

It's an unreasonable thing to do, but here I am. I've had a real struggle with motivation today, the day that I really needed to be running on adrenaline for 16 hours straight. I've stayed busy throughout most of the day, but not nearly as speedily as I had planned. I felt the gears gradually slowing more and more throughout the day and at 5:00 this evening I finally laid down and took a 20 minute nap. That wasn't on the agenda! Ha! But it felt sooooo good and I was able to work much more efficiently afterward.

Tonight is our very last night at the Powells' house. Hhmmm. When I say it that way it makes me feel sort of sad! Ha! We have lived here for three weeks shy of a year, I think. What a blessing it has been!!! God bless Brother & Sister Powell for giving their lives to the cause of missions this past year--and their house to the cause of the homeless, as well! :-) I am, of course, anxious to live in my very own home but we now have a year's worth of great memories from this crazy little chapter of our lives. When we came here I remember thinking that I wanted to stay at the Powells' house "at least until the Assembly." That would get them 6 months into their mission trip and mean that they wouldn't have to worry about nobody being here to look after their house for the first half of their stay. I was worried James would have us moved out in 2 or 3 months. HA! Look at us now--scrambling to collect our belongings and put the house back together before they arrive almost a whole year later! I love how God has worked every detail of this situation so perfectly for the Powells and for us. His timing is amazing.

I can't believe how much stuff we have here. I've been filling the van every time we go to town (the past 4 or 5 trips) and now here we are at the end and there is a huge pile of boxes by the front door. In fact, it might be difficult to make it to the front door tomorrow! We'll manage. In the morning we'll load everything up and take it to the Monstrosity. I had hopes of making it in just one trip with the truck and van, but I'm not so sure that's possible. I'm just hoping we can make it in two trips now! Ha!

We've been enjoying the fellowship and services with the Shulers this week. I just love those guys. :-) I can say that I've been truly blessed by all of the messages and feel as if my soul has been fed--and I have some things to pray about. Uncle Colin preached about having faith and not doubting the first night, then Jacob preached a fiery message (no, really--he got loud and active there at the end!) about not judging by outward appearance but caring about all souls as Jesus does, then Uncle Colin preached... RATS. I can't think of it. I hate it when that happens! What did he preach the third night??? Anyway, the following night in Canaan (last night) he preached about not being lukewarm. I feel like the Lord spoke to my heart through all of the messages (even the one I've already forgotten--ha!) and, of course, I have thoroughly enjoyed the music. They sang it up last night in Canaan. They sang 8 and a half songs (he finally found the half song he couldn't find in Bessemer--ha!) before the message, then another 4 or so at the very end of the service, by request. The folks there just ate it up and the guys had a blast singing to them.

We've got minimal work done on the Monstrosity this week. We stayed in town to spend time with the Shulers instead of coming back to the Powells' house to pack up after service each night. That's the way I'm wired. I'd rather put myself under terrible stress and strain in order to be with people than do the sensible thing and be without them. ;-) It was worth it. Though I must admit I have felt stressed a few times this week. That's the wrong way to put it. I usually didn't feel stressed, but I could tell that I was. Like the time I went to tell James we needed a vacuum belt and instead found myself hugging him and crying for some completely unknown reason. Ha! I have felt like I'm on mental overload, but I think it's beginning to clear up. I keep remembering David's prayer, "Lord, let me never be put to confusion" and I've been praying it consistently! :-)

So tomorrow we vacate the Powells house once and for all (it will no doubt be an all-day venture), then on Saturday we'll be in Somerville for the Altar Ministry Workship followed by Revival in Moulton that night. Sunday isn't nailed down yet, but we'll be visiting a church somewhere up north. We'll have Monday and Tuesday back at Sister Fender's house, then take the Shulers to Collinsville on Wednesday night, send them to Alex City for Friday and Saturday (sadly, we can't make it to that one), then be with them Sunday morning in Phenix City before they head out of the state. Then we'll come back to Bessemer for VLB service that night since I'm in charge of it. ~gasp!~ I'm just as surprised as you are. ;-) I'm so excited and so nervous all at once! Praying God will guide me to just what He would have for us. I'm really out of practice with this sort of thing! I also need to have a Band Meeting sometime the following week if I can pull it off. And I also need to finish my utility room (we're so close!) so we can get a washer and dryer and then have no need to use Sister Fender's house anymore. I'd love to just mess up my own house for a change. Ha! How blessed we are to have access to everything we need in the meantime through generous Church-folk.

And one day, I'll blog again. It may be another week or two. But before long I'll be able to do it from the Monstrosity (we're set up to have phone and Internet there as of February 10th), so that will be nice.

5 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

You're staying busy, as usual.
Today is your anniversary. Hope you're having a good one. I know you won't be "celebrating" because you'll be in church. Anyway, HAPPY 12th ANNIVERSARY! I love you.

Gene and Sheila Powell said...

It was very nice to walk into a spotless clean house. I wish you could have been here to see Brady's welcome. He really knows how to make an old couple feel special. We look forward to seeing you this week. Thank you again for being such wonderful "friends" - want to call you "family", but would probably need to get permission from the lady who published the previous comment.

Vicki Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicki Smith said...

You have my permission as long as that means you will consider US family, too. :-) I'm not sure what the relationship would be (co-parents, aunt and uncle, etc.), but that's not important.

--Sorry about the boo-boo comment I deleted above. :-D

Tammy Washburn said...

If the people at the restaurant thought we were Bro. & Sis. Horne's parents and the kids to be our grandchildren...that would make Bro. & Sis. Powell....???? Ha!