Saturday, February 18, 2012

House Stuff

I'll post a few pictures of the work that went on while the Shulers were here. Here is Uncle Colin, working his plumbing magic for us. WHAT A BLESSING!!!
James is playing with his new toy here--some router bits to create a beautiful edge for window sills, counter tops, etc.

Jacob was James' right-hand man while they were here. He is a perfectionist and a fast learner, so it wasn't anytime at all before he was working all alone with lots of tools he'd never seen before and doing things (including tricky angle cuts on the chair rail) without James there. He learned a little about electricity, too... the hard way. Ha! James just ASSUMED that he'd know not to grab the sides of an outlet to pull it through the beadboard. ;-)

This is what you call laying down on the job. Jake was touching up with the green paint after installing that green beadboard panel under the desk.

Poor Philip. He got all of the lonely, ungratifying jobs like scraping this door... for hours.

So he took a few breaks here and there--and who could blame him! I went into the bedroom and opened the closet door one time... and found Philip sitting on a chair, bound and gagged, hands wrapped tightly with this chain. Sam's doing, of course. I just closed the door and decided to mind my own business. As you can see, Phil was able to free himself. Then it was Sam's turn to be chained up. :-)

How many Pollocks does it take... ;-)




And that's about all of the work pictures I have. I did, however, walk around last night and take a few pictures of what things are looking like around here right now. Still got LOTS to do, but things are beginning to improve. Mom's been asking to see some pictures, so here we go...


James' office is coming together nicely. He got the ceiling fan in last week. As you can see, this is where all of the trim is being stained or painted, then stored until we need it in other places throughout the house.


This is the little half-bath on the main level--my bathroom. It makes me very, very happy. :-) Can't wait to get it finished!



And--gasp!--my DARK BLUE wall. I love it!!! :-) It just looks so sharp and crisp and clean with the white trim. And I love blue.
This is my ALMOST FINISHED utility room! :-) James laid the carpet squares last night and they look great. I can't see any seams anywhere. I do wish we would have found something a little lighter in color for that room... but I love it. I love having a finished floor in that room! Right now James is gone to Hoover, purchasing a washer and dryer to be delivered next Wednesday--then we'll be up and running! Wa-Hoo!!! The only thing left to do is poly the doors below the sink in there. I'll get that done today. Then we'll have TWO rooms finished: our master bathroom and the utility room. (Should I be saying "WA-HOO" or "It's about time!"??? Ha!)

And here is the half-finished kitchen. At least I hope we're half way there or more! We started hanging the cabinet doors last night and from this distance, they look terrific... so if you ever come over, please stand this far away to look at them. HA! I really do love them. The colors are so rich and pretty.

This is my desk area, already cluttered with miscellaneous items. I did find a few candles when I was unpacking the telephones last week. It made me happy to have SOMETHING cute to put on the shelves. :-)

That's it for now!

4 comments:

Gene and Sheila Powell said...

Wow! Very eager to see it.

Vicki Smith said...

Only have the bitty screen on my iPhone right now but everything looks great! Especially the stained trim in the kitchen! Look forward to seeing it in person in a couple of weeks.
BTW, I believe the correct spelling is Polack. A pollack is a fish. :-). (you're going to look it up, aren't you?)

cokelady said...

Hahahahahaha! I DID look it up! When I was writing it I looked up "How many pol..." and it came up "How many pollacks does it take..." HA! It didn't look right to me, but who am I to argue with Google? ;-)

Brother Powell, you just let us know when you're ready to come see the house--we'll be here. :-)

Vicki Smith said...

LOVE all the pictures. Thanks! (but I want more) :-)