Saturday, July 17, 2010

Company & Convention, PART 1

That's the biggest thing that's been going on since that day so long ago when I last blogged. But first, I must announce that Katie & Sam actually DID stay out in the tent all night! I went to check on them at midnight and they were snoozin' right on, so I took some extra blankets out to cover them up with (Sam had a cough and I didn't want him getting chilled) and went on to bed. They were so proud of themselves. The next day we threw the tent in the trash (the zipper was broken so the door couldn't be closed--we just covered the opening with a blanket for the night), so that means Joe lost his chance. Bummer!

We had a surprise visit from Josh & Debbie Davis who were driving from Texas back to Montana last Thursday. We grilled burgers and had a nice visit with them for an hour or two before they headed on. When they left it was time to head into town to pick up Sister Bishop (our guest speaker for Regional Convention) and Sister Leist at the airport. We took them to Village Inn for dinner, then on to our BTI service. Brother Chris asked the ladies to testify and I was so blessed just by their testimonies! Such a sweet, sweet spirit and such pure hearts. It sort of made all of us a little more anxious for Convention.

Friday was a crazy and hectic day trying to get everybody to town and moved into the hotel and get everything all set up for Convention. James always has so many "props," you know. ;-) In the end, it all looked great and we were ready to head into a glorious Convention--and God blessed us with just that.



The first night is always so hard because everybody is so tired. Some of our folks drive as far as 8 or 10 hours to get to Convention and you always feel a little worn out after traveling. But we had a good service and Sister Bishop's message was such a blessing! I think I'd just as soon hear her preach as anybody. I just love her spirit and her wit and her enthusiasm--she's very old-timey. Love it. :-) I also love catching the mistakes she makes. Like saying that we're now in the year 2009... and preaching that there's still wells in the water. Stuff like that. ;-)


This is the one picture I took Friday night, after the message.



The Convention just seemed (to me) to gain momentum as we went along, getting better and better. Brother Chris preached a wonderful message on Saturday morning. This was taken just shortly before he slung rubber snakes all over the floor. ;-)



Brother Luis preached in the afternoon--a good, anointed, Churchy message. You can always count on that from him. :-)

That night was the VLB march. Here are a few pictures of that. Ha! Emilee told me that it's tough to get a picture of Robert because he's camera shy, but he looked so cute in his VLB vest and tie that I had to give it a try. He wasn't really puckering... but I love it that it looks that way! Ha!





After the VLB program we had another truly great message by Sister Bishop on "A Sound of Abundance of Rain," our Convention theme. We had a wonderful altar call and several experiences. Brother Chris went to pray with one or two kids at the altar and before long had waved several more from their seats to come and join them. There are times when I feel a little hesitant because I don't want the kids to "make a show" down there just because it seems like the thing to do, but I have to remind myself that they are learning how to pray and how to seek and how to yield to the Lord--and that's a GOOD thing! I pray regularly for my kids to feel and know and love the Spirit of God and of The Church of God. I love it when they can experience those things and and I know that it will continue to draw them back to the altar. As they get older they will grow in wisdom and understanding, but right now they are learning to let the Lord woo their hearts to Him. And I love that. :-) Anyway, Brother Chris ended up on the other side of the building praying with other seekers and Brother Dustin prayed with the kids for a while.



I love this picture. I just think it's so cool--the General VLB guy in his red vest, sitting cross-legged with the Gleaners, sharing scriptures with them and encouraging them. Hands on teaching and training, right there in the altar. :-)



I was clerking that night and missed most of the excitement on the other side of the building, but did go take one picture toward the end.



This picture doesn't really need to be included, except that I think our Regional Overseer looks mighty cute in his VLB get-up. ;-)



We had several testimonies that night, none more of a blessing to me than this one! Aby went to BTI this year and was so blessed there. She has always been sooooo shy and said that somebody told her that when she receives the Holy Ghost He would give her more boldness. She said that she hasn't received it yet, but she doesn't feel shy any more--and you could SEE it! She just sort of glows and seems so, so happy. She spoke so freely... and OUT LOUD! Ha! She's beautiful--and Belen, too. :-)



David...



Tim Cox (the western one--ha!)



I think our total registration was 130. Down quite a bit from last year since we didn't have the Letcher mob with us this time (ha!) and some of our other usual attendees didn't make it.







On Sunday morning Sister Keila had her family help her with the Sunday School boost. They acted out a song as they sang--in Spanish, of course. We couldn't understand the words, but the message was clear: Get up and get yourselves to Sunday School--all of you together as a family--because there's nothing more important. :-)





The whole Region is in love with little Joel. No kid should be allowed to be that cute!





This is my favorite picture of Sister Bishop. :-)



She was SUCH a blessing to the Convention and I know our people really, really enjoyed having her. She's just so sound and solid and has such a beautiful spirit. She shared some of her personal testimony on Sunday morning and it was so amazing. We had several powerful moves of the Spirit throughout the weekend, but Sunday seemed to be especially sweet. Had some running and shouting and dancing and flag waving and all that fun stuff. :-) The Spirit was deep and rich and ministered to our souls so wonderfully. Sunday afternoon seemed even better than the morning session and I kept wondering if things would continue to get better (but how?!) if we had a few more sessions to go! It was an outstanding Convention, full of all the things it was supposed to have--good sound preaching, sincere worship, rich altar calls, and sweet fellowship.

KEEP SCROLLING--There's more...

5 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the great pictures and commentary. It all looks so great! I'm sorry I missed it, but I can't be everywhere, I suppose.

Tammy Washburn said...

It all looks like you had a grand time with Sis. Bishop and Sis. Leist and the whole Convention! Congrats to the kid for staying overnight in the tent. Will they do it again now that ya'll have a bear spotted in the 'hood?

cokelady said...

We missed you there this year, Mom, but we don't believe in cloning so I guess we'll just let you have to be other places every now and then. ;-)

Sister Tammy, I'm sure the kids would SAY they'd sleep in the tent, bear or no bear. Unfortunately we no longer have a tent, so they would have no chance to prove it.

EmileeAnn said...

Thanks for sharing all your great pictures!!

Jessa Stephens said...

I loved, loved, loved the pictures!!!!!!!! Spoke valumes.