Monday, July 5, 2010

Back so Soon

I'm going to blog after only three days this time instead of a whole week. Just thought I'd mix things up a bit. :-)

Can't remember Saturday. At ALL. Sunday was a good day, but didn't feel at all like a holiday. We'd been so occupied with our revival and then switched straight into Convention gear (it starts this Friday and there's so much to do) and the 4th of July just sort of snuck (sneaked?) up on us without our knowing it.

We had a good service that morning. Brother Chris preached some really interesting things about John Hancock and the Declaration of Independance and everything that was going on at the time, and how it beautifully illustrates what Jesus did for us. But it would take too long to explain here so you'll just have to draw your own conclusions. ;-)

We came home and grilled some burgers and hot dogs because it was the least we could do to recognize the day. I tried really hard not to, but ended up taking a truly grand Sunday afternoon nap. ~Aaaaaaa~ Enjoyed Sister Shanda's WMB service last night, then came home and changed into some casual clothes before heading out to Moriarty to watch the Fireworks. It is CRAZY out there. Apparently it's the only place in the entire state that sells the REAL fireworks--the BIG ones that light up the night sky--so folks come from all over the place to buy them. I think the city has a show, but you can't tell what's been set off by the city officials and what's been set off by regular--however frivolous--people. Ha! We found a place to park and the fireworks were coming from EVERY direction. It was great and exciting, if a little harrowing. You can't see very far through the smoke, but I LOVE the smell--wow! And there are sizzles and flashes and explosions coming from all around you and there's no telling if they're being set off by intelligent, careful people or by careless, clueless people who have no concept that fireworks have the potential to be rather dangerous. The kids were a nervous wreck, especially Joe. We had taken lawn chairs, but he finally ended up in the van and we couldn't make him come join us. "I can see 'em JUST FINE from right here!" Ha! It was a good time, anyway.

Today has been a very productive day filled with accomplishments that I had no intention of accomplishing, they just sort of happened. It was supposed to be laundry and ironing day. I went to gather laundry and ended up in the boys' closet, sorting through all of their clothes. They look like hobos most of the time, wearing things that belong each other or that they've both outgrown, so I had Joe try on all of his dress clothes so I could see what fits and what doesn't. Then it was Sam's turn. In the end, everything is in the proper place and we have a bag of things to donate or pass along to friends or family. THEN I started the laundry. Before long something came up and I ended up installing and setting up the kids' computer school for this next year. They won't actually be starting it until after the Assembly, but it was necessary for various reasons to get them set up and running today. That took a while. Then I went to Katie's closet to straighten things up a bit because we'll have company staying in her room in a few days. The straightening up turned into an all out cleaning and purging session that took up the rest of the day. I don't do that in her closet nearly as often as I do the boys' because she keeps her closet neater and it doesn't seem necessary. But I sorted through all of her clothes, pulled down some that she finally fits into (thank you, Ashley Werkheiser!) and packed up plenty more that she's outgrown. I cleaned out the shelves and even started a garage sale stack with games and such that we never use. It took a long, long time and I hadn't planned on doing any of that mess today, but it sure feels good to have it done!

I've still got one load of laundry to do and I haven't ironed a thing. And I think I'm pretty close to calling it a night, so I'll have to shoot for tomorrow on that one. Right now Katie and Sam are out in the tent, trying to tough it out for the night. They've been there for over an hour now, so that's a new record around here. Joe was really regretting the deal he made with Sam earlier, allowing Sam the opportunity to sleep out there with Katie tonight (if they last... they won't), but he was able to stay up and pick a Veggie Tales show to watch, so that helped. He just went to bed a few minutes ago. I'm ready for bed, but really should stay up until the tent kids are either asleep out there, or have given up and made their way inside. ~sigh~ Maybe I'll last 30 more minutes. Maybe not. ;-)

2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

So, I'm dying to know if the kids lasted the whole night in the tent? I thought Sam didn't like girls--what's he doing out in a tent with one? ;-)
So happy for your surprise accomplishments. Congratulations! I had some surprise accomplishments myself yesterday. I could use a few more surprises like that!

Tammy Washburn said...

I'm with Joe on those fireworks. I enjoy them from a distance...but try to avoid crazy people shooting them around/at me.

Did they stay all night in the tent? :)