Saturday, March 20, 2010

What to Blog?

I have no idea, but it's been several days (AGAIN) and it seems like I ought to write something...

Uummm... School went well this week. The kids are adjusting and doing well with the hordes of math work. And Katie and Joe have written some pretty good reports and stories for me this week. Joe wrote a terrific cowboy story, but he acts like he's embarrassed about it for some reason. I would love to post pictures of it here, but I don't want him to feel weird about it... so maybe I'll just e-mail it to Grandma and Granddad. :-)

Tuesday was a long day and I can't remember everything that we did. We made our library trip and walked out with new and exciting piles of books to burn through. After the library we headed into town to run several errands. I needed to stop by Sam's Club and Wal-Mart and a couple of grocery stores to try to mooch. :-) With changing campgrounds and having to increase our tuitions for Family Camp this year while still keeping them as low as possible for everybody, we're trying to get as much donated as we can for the Snack Shack. We won't be making any profit off of the tuitions (just covering our costs--we hope!), so it's our only real money maker and we'd love to make MORE money with it this year to help pay for a guest speaker and all that stuff. So we've got people all over the region out asking for donations. I hope God really blesses our efforts. I, personally, HATE mooching. I am sooooooooooo uncomfortable walking into a store and saying, "Hey, would you give me some stuff for free???" But I know it's been highly successful for some people in the past, and I hear that lots of times the businesses have a certain amount that they need to donate, so... Whatever! I did the miserable deed, got one $20 gift card and three "We'll talk it over and get back with you" answers.

We also went to the thrift store and hit the jackpot. Joe was suddenly in dire need of some jeans and we bought several pairs, though a couple he'll have to grow into. And the first time he wore one of the pairs that fit now, he promptly ripped the button off. !!! I had James pick up some replacement jean buttons and got it fixed the next day. I got a new yellow shirt that makes me very happy, though it's very Spring-ish and we still have snow on the ground so I don't feel like wearing it yet. Maybe at Youth Convention in Hatch next weekend. Ought to be warm enough there! Oh, we found an ADORABLE jean skirt for Katie, built long and skinny just like she is! It's too big, but it's SHAPED right (that's sooooo hard to come by for that girl!), so I'm sure she'll grow into it sometime in the next year.

I can't remember what all we did that day. It was a busy one. We came home and spent the rest of the evening listing things on eBay. James put a whole slew of Church books on and I finally got all of my stamping stuff posted. Don't know if any of it will sell, but I'm trying! James already has a whole bunch of bids on his books.

Can't remember much else about the week. It was my ABM service on Thursday night and it was a total bomb. I understand that that word means something good nowadays, but when I was growing up it meant something was horrible--and that's how I mean it! Ha! I think I've told God how sorry I am every time I've prayed since Thursday night!!! It probably wasn't bad enough to warrant that, I suppose, but I just feel like I missed it, you know? ~sigh~ It's a miserable feeling. I'm going to start praying NOW for next month's service so nobody has to suffer through another one of these ones!

We had picked up Old Yeller at the library on Tuesday, so last night the kids asked me to start reading it to them. We never did find a good stopping point though. "Don't stop there, Mom--read more, ple-e-e-e-e-e-ease!!!" We ended up reading the whole book! I think I read from about 6:00 until 9:00 and my throat was sore by the time we were done, but we finished! I think I'm the only one who cried, which is just wrong.

Today we had the kids write reports on Old Yeller (Sam drew a picture), then I let them watch the movie. I was amazed at just how similar it is to the book. Usually there are lots of significant changes in a book-turned-movie, but not this one. The only real difference is that the kid goes ahead and shoots the dog as soon as he finishes fighting with the rabid wolf, knowing that he would have contracted the disease. In the movie they waited until he actually started to go mad--which is much worse, I think. Either way, I cry every time. Joe admitted to me that he had to work really, really, really hard to not cry. I'm amazed that Katie can make it through things like that with no tears--what kind of girl is she, anyway?!

Old Yeller was our break today. The rest of it was spent in preparation for our Mission Luncheon tomorrow. James made tamales and enchiladas (wow, what a guy!) and I made taco salad, poppyseed chicken casserole, pea salad, strawberry cake, lemon bars... hhmmm... I think there was something else or maybe two somethings, but I can't remember.

I guess that's it. Oh, wait! Today was the first day of Spring... and we woke up to 6" of fresh snow! Ha! I love it!!! The only thing I don't like about all of the snow is the terrible mud that always follows. It gets sooooooooo sloppy up here! Pretty ugly. But that's why there's plastic in the van now, right Tammy?!

Hope everybody has a wonderful Sunday. I'm "off" tomorrow and get to just enjoy the big people's Sunday School class taught by one of my favorite teachers :-) and I'm not on to lead songs, our pastor will preach another anointed message about one of the 29, and we're hoping and praying we'll have visitors for service AND for the Mission Luncheon to follow. Then we'll have James' CPMA service afterward. Looks to be a wonderful day in the Lord!

8 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

LOVE the fresh, new Springy blog template!
I cannot believe your kids didn't cry for Old Yeller! What's them matter with them??? EVERYBODY ought to cry for Old Yeller.
You guys made enough food for everybody at church, plus a few other groups! HA! It all sounds good. Personally, I just got back from having lunch at the Chinese buffet with the Anders. Since I'm a single woman this weekend I tagged along with another family. I look forward to your dad's return tonight, and hearing all about his weekend. I'll have to poke, prod and pry to get anything out of him, but I'll give it my best shot. I'm used to it.
We had a really good SS class this morning and good service to follow. The Spirit was just so good. I thank God for His refreshing. I thank Him for His strength and mercy. I thank Him for His truth! I'm thankful I KNOW the Word of God declares that He WILL have a PERFECT, spotless Church. I just want to be a part of the perfected Bride and not be deceived into backsliding and blaming it on somebody else. "That's right, AMEN!" (HA! Remember that quote?) ;-)

Vicki Smith said...

What? You switched backgrounds already??? This second one is really cute, too. Not as Springy, but cute. ;-)

Tammy Washburn said...

Hmmm....wonder who bid on all those church books. ;)

mmmmmm....sounds like a GREAT missions lunch. Makes me hungry.

cokelady said...

I just couldn't do the other template, Mom. I looked at it the next morning and HATED it! It was just way too pink and girly for me. I'm not crazy about this one really (I had the dippy crayons--they don't MATCH everything else) but it'll do for a little while. I just new I needed something bright and happy looking -- I can only live so long without a little RED on the page, you know?!

Sister Tammy, I'll have to tell James who's stalking all of his auctions... ;-)

Vicki Smith said...

You "just NEW"? Funny you should have that little glitch in your comment; I'm going to be talking about homonyms/homophones this weekend at Retreat. ;-)

cokelady said...

Ha! Who NEW??? ;-)

Rebekah Doran said...

Hey Becki, I finally got your blog to show up the right way on my cell phone. So today I was able to read bits and pieces of this post while schooling the kids. So I can comment now... :)

I'm not good at mooching either. But it is for a good cause so don't feel bad. :) Sounds like you are off to a good start.

I just love it when one hits the "jackpot" at thrift stores. Good boy pants are hard to find. I'm excited for your skirt find too! Good job, Mom!

James is selling church books? Old, extra ones? Hope you get some of your stuff sold too. Let us know how it goes.

I remember watching "Old Yeller" a LONG time ago. It is a good movie and I did cry at the end....I can't remember if Matt did or not...

James never ceases to amaze me. Who would of known that he would be cooking up a storm for his wife X amount of years ago at BTI that first year we meant him. Someday I want to try your poppyseed Chicken casserole. It sounds interesting.

cokelady said...

Hey, Rebekah! Good to hear from you on here. You've become a very, very bad blogger. ;-)

James sold a whole slew of books and I sold most of my stamping stuff (wa-hoo!) and gave the rest to Katie, which makes her very happy.

I can't begin to express how much I wish you could remember if Matt cried during Old Yeller... We had an interesting conversation on Facebook about that and I would LOVE to have a sister rat him out and reveal that he DID CRY. :-)

Yeah, James has turned out okay after all. Ha! I'm AMAZED at how many things he helps with around here these days. :-)