Friday, March 12, 2010

One of Those Days

By the time we finished lunch I looked at the kids and said, "Get...out...of...my...house. All of you!" Ha! They were just WIRED and I was not up to trying to do any more school with them. It means half a school day today and a half a school day tomorrow (Saturday school!), but it seemed worth it at the time. I'm guessing the kids had a great time running wild all over the yard this afternoon. They were out there so long I almost forgot I had children until I saw one clad in a leather Davy Crockett jacket, carrying a rifle, running full speed past the window. Ha! And I think they forgot they had a Mom, too. After a few hours Sam came in the door and seemed genuinely surprised to see me. "Oh! Hi, Mom!" he said as he ran up and gave me a hug and a kiss, as if he'd just come home from a lengthy vacation. I really think they needed to just be OUT for a few hours. It can't be good for kids to be all cooped up inside all day long. I know it wouldn't have been good around our house today! Ha! So while the kids had a time of it getting in lots of P.E. time I was able to catch up on a few things around the house. A good day for everybody. :-)

James took the car back to the dealership today and retrieved our newly repaired and detailed van. You'll never believe what I did when he got home with it. I covered it entirely in plastic! Ha! Just the inside. I remember going to a school friend's house when I was a kid--she was Chinese--and everybody took their shoes off at the door and then followed these crazy plastic runners all through the house. I thought it was nuts then and I think it's nuts now. But we just went out and bought the same exact plastic runner stuff and this afternoon I cut it into proper shapes to completely cover the floor in the van. Is that insane, or what?! I'm so embarrassed. But I must confess it was even my idea, not James'. If we lived in town I would never let our lives come to this, but where we live there is just no way to avoid the kids' shoes being caked in mud if there has been any moisture at all and I'm sooooo tired of our van being all nasty. And I am NOT carrying them all to the van every time we have to leave. Ha! Since we've now got a new van (new to us--you know what I mean!) and it's in great shape I just couldn't bear to see dirt and mud ground into the carpet right away, you know? Still, it's NUTS to have done such a thing.

House Cleaning Day that is supposed to happen on Monday each week hasn't really been working out very well the past week or two. So I've been spending the whole week trying to do a job here and there to catch up, but it seems like I just can't get there. Today was more successful, what, with the kids outside for the afternoon. I gathered up all of the laundry again and as of tonight I have all clean children (they were FILTHY after their play day and had to have showers) and all of the laundry done AND the ironing. So that feels good.

Uummm... we had smothered steaks for dinner. The only thing that would have made them better is if they'd been elk instead of beef. :-) James and Katie made Rice Krispie Treats for dessert and they are nice and gooey. I'm wa-a-a-a-a-ay too full now.

That's about it, I guess. Can't remember anything about yesterday. Oh, except service last night--it was very, very good. Sister Shanda showed the new WMB video and it was such a blessing, of course. I just cry through the whole thing. I LOVE watching those things. It blesses you and inspires you and just sort of clears all of the clutter from your mind. When you see The Church of God taking the gospel into all the world, preaching, teaching, baptizing--and you SEE these people who are your very own brothers and sisters in the Lord and members in particular of the same Body that YOU are a member of--members one of another--from all over the place, it just helps you realize how silly the things are that we get so distracted with. It makes the every day worries and concerns seem so insignificant and you're reminded of why we're really here. It's all about souls and eternity. God, help me do more!

And I guess that's about it. Hope everybody has a great weekend (especially those ladies retreating at Ridgecrest--I wish I was one of 'em!) and God blesses with wonderful services across the board in The Church. :-)

4 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I, too, wish you were one of the Ridgecrest retreaters. It's going GREAT! --Don't get on to me for accessing the "outside world" during Retreat. I've had my Hide Away time (and it was really special to me this year--sweet private communion with the Lord in a secret place) and now it's free time. If I work it right I should have time for a nap, or at least a napette. ;-) Across the room from me Suzy is perched on a hairspray can on the desk next to Sister Bishop who is studying.
So, your Monday housecleaning day has slipped all the way to Friday? HA! It's a nice goal, anyway. --Sort of like all those lists you used to make when you were growing up, that you never actually accomplished any of the items. ;-) But practice makes perfect. Keep trying and every now and then you'll actually accomplish the goal, and eventually it will become habit (in theory, anyway).

cokelady said...

Still, it's just wrong to be on the computer while you're at a Ladies' Retreat. I'm appalled.

I'm hoping that my failure at Monday House Cleaning Day this week will make next week's cleaning day much easier since today--Saturday--one of the bathrooms had the big scrub down (in anticipation of the Big Girl Party that I CAN'T WAIT to start so it can end! Ha!) and some other usually-done-on-Monday jobs. It is a nice goal. It's especiallly nice on the weeks it actually works! Ha!

Tammy K. said...

Girl night? you want it to start to END???
You are crazy to put plastic down in the van. I understand your reasoning, but I still think your crazy. Just get place mats that you can change out every so often. place mats won't look so intimating to the guest you have in the van. when you see plastic you know the person is crazy and you don't want to touch a thing :O) HA!!!!

cokelady said...

It's not a REAL Girl Party until the girls are at least 12. Maybe 15. ;-)

I know, the plastic is crazy. But not nearly as crazy as putting PLACE MATS in a van. PLACE MATS go on the table, Tammy. Floor mats go in the car. ;-) Either way, people will feel more comfortable seeing that they CAN'T mess up the floor (it's ALL covered in plastic!) than having to worry about getting mud in the carpet. It's not intimidating, just weird. Ha! Besides, if you saw my kids' shoes after a good rain up here (or after the snow starts to melt), you would understand the utter destruction that a new vehicle would suffer without proper protection. If we ever live in a place with pavement again instead of mud, I promise I'll throw the plastic away, okay? :-)