Wednesday, March 3, 2010

It's Wednesday, David

Though I was just sure a few hours ago it was Tuesday. I hate losing a day like that.

I’m trying to be faithful to blog, but I don’t know what to blog about. Somehow, I can’t remember a single thing about yesterday. I’d be worried about old age getting to me or something had I not been just as forgetful (or worse?) when I was a teenager. So the only logical assumption is that I’m perfectly normal and healthy. :-)

Today has been a good day, although it didn’t exactly go as planned. In the end, I can see several accomplishments so that makes me happy. I hadn’t planned on doing laundry today. I didn’t get to it on Monday and had a fleeting thought that I’d just wait until next week and do both weeks’ worth together. Shouldn’t be a problem… we sometimes take two or even three week trips and get by okay. Well, yesterday James bought some underwear because he didn’t have any in his drawer. Joe heard about it this morning and said, “Yeah, I don’t have any shirts in my drawer.” Then Sam said, “This is my last pair of socks!” And they had holes in them. Ha! So I guess it was time for laundry day after all! And maybe a trip to the thrift store in the near future...

The kids worked hard on school today and…

Katie finished 3rd Grade!!!!!

Again. :-) She had actually completed most of a 4th Grade curriculum, but when we started into S.o.S. we put her back into 3rd as a sort of a review to make sure she was ready to move on. She had several tests to take today and did great, for the most part. Most of the things she screws up on are just stupid mistakes borne from rushing through or not reading the directions carefully. But she finally got everything taken care of that she needed to and is forever finished with 3rd Grade! Never to return again, this time. :-) I printed out her report card (24 pages of it—whoa!) and she had 99% or 98% as her overall score in each subject. She is thrilled and feels the satisfaction of having accomplished something big. She’s not so thrilled about our upcoming school plans for her…

We’ve decided to wait and start Joe into 3rd Grade (though he’s doing 4th Grade work right now… it’s so confusing around here!) and Katie into 4th after Assembly time next year. It just feels like it will work best that way instead of starting into a new “year” for them right now. So between now and then we’re going to be concentrating on lots and lots of math and reading/writing assignments. Specifically: book reports. Our kids read soooooooooo much (I’ve often wondered if I should take a picture of the stack of books each week before we return them to the library—as part of our homeschool records!) and I think it will be good for them to learn to write reports. Besides, I had to do that in school and I hated it, so it’s only right that they should endure the same misery. Ha! As for math, we’re going to give them lots of drills each day. Some addition and subtraction to just keep them fresh, but mostly multiplication—until they’ve got their tables down pat and don’t have to struggle to think of what 8x7 is. (Like their mother still does sometimes!) Joe’s been doing some pretty good long division, but it would be sooooo much easier if he could quickly recall ALL of the multiplication facts instead of struggling with them. So it’s going to be books, reports, and loads of math around here for the next few months.

And speaking of math… Sam’s been doing GREAT in his 1st Grade book and seems to thoroughly enjoy it. Although he’s still in the very beginning stages of learning to read, he does well—and lots of the exercises are helping him. But yesterday he got into some regular math work (3+4 and stuff like that) and he LOVED it. Begged for more. So today James printed out several extra math pages for him and he sat down and worked through all of them—and did fantastic. I think he only missed one or two problems total--and there were a bunch. And he finally feels SMART, which is the most important thing. :-) It’s been tough on him knowing that Katie and Joe were both reading at age 4 and he’s 6 and still isn’t “really” reading. So having the numbers click for him has got him sooooo excited. “Mom, my brain was made for numbers!” he told me this afternoon. :-) I’m so glad he’s feeling satisfaction like that!

Back to the book reports… I hauled a bin in from the shed today labeled “Bec’s Memories.” I knew I had some of my old school work in there and I wanted to show the kids how to do book reports since they've never actually seen one. Well, that turned into an all afternoon venture! Not because I couldn’t find the reports, but because there was so much cool stuff in there I hadn’t seen in YEARS. It was sooooooo fun sorting through all of it. School work and class pictures and report cards from elementary school, mementos from Camps (one with a picture of me “in” a mirror from my very first PeeWee Camp where I got saved), a chunk of the airplane I crashed in (a small chunk—ha!), old prayer lists, letters from friends (I think there were 88 of them from you, Emilee! I didn’t actually count… they’re all numbered)… Oh, I can’t remember what all. My first pair of glasses! HA! Oh, that was hilarious!!! They are HUGE!!!!! I had no idea they were that big! The lenses are about the size of small coasters! Ha! The kids thought that was great. Old diaries. That was pretty embarrassing! I didn’t have time to actually READ all the letters or diaries (it would take weeks!), but I skimmed enough to laugh a lot. It was just so fun to see all of that stuff again. And I did find 3 or 4 book reports to show the kids how it’s done. And remind myself of the same. ;-)

I was having so much fun rooting through my history that I totally lost track of the time and suddenly it was after 5:00. I had boiled three chickens and had plans to cook a meal with some of the meat tonight. It was already dinner time so I figured I’d just make some noodles and throw in the pot with the broth and some of the chicken meat and a few seasonings—voila—chicken noodle soup. You can’t make noodles without eggs and I didn’t happen to have any of those. (A terrible thing to run out of!) Oops. Okay, poppy seed chicken casserole—an old favorite around here. Nope, no minute rice. Um… chicken cornbread casserole? Nope. Don’t have any bell peppers either. It was already after 6:00 and James was hungry and about to get cranky (ha!) and I was running out of options. He finally said, “Everybody in the car—we’re going out for Chinese!” So although I had great plans for a nice home cooked dinner, we ended up eating sesame chicken and rice. Then we ran to the grocery store to buy eggs and bell peppers. :-)

And that’s pretty much our day. Seems like there were a few other things… Oh, I printed out the sheet music to Yesterday for Joe. He has no interest in that song, but would love to learn how to play Tim Hawkins’ Chick-Fil-A version. In fact he was looking at the chords and reading some of the lyrics and finally said, “Hey! …That’s not how it goes!!!” Ha! I had to explain that this was the real song; the Chick-Fil-A version was a spoof. I transposed it so he could play it in a key he could sing it in. He said it didn’t matter—he didn’t need to sing it, just play it. I told him if he didn’t sing it folks would just think he’s playing Yesterday… you know, the song about being all sad ‘cause you lost your girl… He decided he’d better stick to C or D where he can sing the Chick-Fil-A lyrics to avoid any confusion! Ha!

7 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Good post! How fun to take a trip down Memory Lane. Were the kids interested and asking questions, or did you travel alone down the Lane? When you wrote "chunk of the airplane I crashed in" it sounded like YOU crashed in (inside) the airplane instead of the airplane crashed. :-) --You really kept a lot of "memories"! Who knew? It sounds like you have a lot more memorabilia from your childhood than I do.

Your lack of Minute Rice and bell peppers and eggs are all further evidence of your forgetfulness. Didn't I teach you to always keep a grocery list going and when you're about to use the last of an item to make sure it's written on the list? You didn't have those items on a list, did you? Shame. I'm just astonished, though, that YOU were the one to suggest Chinese!?!?!

cokelady said...

It was so fun, Mom! Katie was right with me through most of the box--way ahead of me, actually. The boys enjoyed looking at my old class pictures and trying to find me.

I thought about correcting the "airplane I crashed in" statement, but then decided I kind of like it the way it is. Ha! I should dig this bin out sometime when you're around--it would be fun! I forgot to mention that I also found a stack of letters from Brother Staggs. I had no idea I corresponded with him that much (I should take the time to read THOSE ones!), but there were probably 10 or 15 letters from him. How cool!

Just for your information, you are SO WRONG. I did have those items on the list--ALL of them. Several times over the past week or two, in fact. Just keep losing the list. Ha! It's true--the list keeps disappearing and I try to remember what was on it and start another one... over and over again. It's a terrible way to live but I seem doomed to it. ;-)

Vicki Smith said...

Always keep the list attached to the refrigerator, or the side of the freezer in your case. Get one of those note pads with a magnet on the back and your grocery list will always be where you can find it. When you're ready to head to the store you tear off the grocery list and away you go. It's simple!

cokelady said...

What, do you think I'm dumb or somethin'??? ;-)

Of course it's simple...in theory. What about when the dippy little magnet keeps falling off of the back of the pad and the pad crashes to the floor. Then you glue the magnet back on AGAIN so you can repeat the fun of picking up the paper, smoothing out the wrinkles, gluing the magnet on--yes, AGAIN... So you finally give up on the dumb magnets and just start keeping the list on top of the microwave. It belongs there but is sometimes taken on an adventuresome romp to find a writing utensil and has a habit of sneaking away undetected while you're digging through the pen and pencil can. Or you have a short person who likes to "help" and write things on the list--little hands have an amazing aptitude for losing things (sometimes even better than Mom hands), I tell you. My failure to have a properly supplied kitchen may be due to a lot of things, but lack of effort is not one of 'em.

I'm rather insulted.

;-)

Unknown said...

umm.. not to interfere with the mother-daughter discussion... Becki, I JUST got the "It's Wednesday, David" reference. Yeah.. I knew it sounded familiar but couldn't place it until just now when I read it and heard Harrison Ford's voice. Hehehe.

Vicki Smith said...

I don't mind the interruption, Megan. I sure wish I had time to sit down and watch it again. But it would be even better watching it with some other female-types.

Vicki Smith said...

It's 4 days past Wednesday, David.