Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Home Alone, Day Six

I don't know that there's anything much to report about today, but I'd hate to not blog on a day when I have a no-brainer title waiting for me. :-)

It's been cold, cold, cold today. The warmest I saw was 1 degree; the rest of the day we were below zero. I think it's -18 right now. Makes me think of being at the cabin. I always loved the feel of the super cold air there--it feels so good to breathe it. And it makes me think of Granddad sitting in front of the fire with his feet in thick gray socks propped up on the handles of the stove door where the fire was just raging... and Grandmother throwing the back door wide open, standing there in the sub-zero air and fanning herself with her shirt to get some relief! Ha! Bittersweet memories, they are. I'm so glad to have memories like that but it makes me miss them sooooooooooooo much.

The kids went out and played in the frigid weather for a little while this morning, but stayed in for the rest of the day. We had a full day of school today in an effort to make up for taking yesterday off. I spent quite a while working with Sam. Along with his reading during devotions we did five pages from each subject, totaling 25 pages today. Joe did fine with his school today, but Katie shed some tears over a "C" on her History & Geography quiz. She has a terrible time with that subject. She just can't seem to remember what happened when or where. She'll get events and locations mixed up--like, were the Slavs in the Ukraine or Kenya? It drives me a little batty (!), but there are some things my brain locks up on, too, so I'm trying to be patient and find a way to help her. I may just have to go through every lesson with her for a while, asking questions and explaining things as we go to see if that will help things stick with her better. Who knows how much I might learn! Ha! Come to think of it, I don't know a whole lot about Kenya myself... ;-)

The eight slices of store bought bread are still here, but most of my homemade bread is GONE. I had made two loaves and sliced them as thin as I could yesterday, but the kids have been scarfing it down. I think there are two slices left. Crazy! I may be doing some more baking tomorrow if we're still snowed in. We didn't get any new snow today but it's way, way too cold for anything to begin melting, even though it was nice and sunshiny for a while this afternoon. So I don't know if we'll be driving anywhere tomorrow. I'll go check out the roads in the afternoon to see if we'll be able to make it in to church tomorrow night.

Hhmmm. There's really not much else to say! Been a pretty regular day around here today except for the extreme temperatures, but it seems like most of the country has been experiencing that. Uummm... I let the kids watch another Cathedrals video tonight and I worked on my Coke puzzle. I was able to get more done than I would have expected. Maybe it won't be as impossible as I thought it would be. It would still be more fun if Mom was here to help with it though. :-)

I didn't get my proofreading done last night, but I'm inching closer. I've got four more lessons to read. I should be able to finish them easily enough tonight. I'm really in no rush to come to the end--I've so enjoyed them! This quarterly (beginning in April) is about suffering and God's purposes for allowing it in our lives. It is just so, so good. I've been blessed by the lessons and I'm sure it will be a blessing throughout the Church. It's one of those subjects that may introduce some brand new concepts to some people and hopefully help us all to learn to trust in the Lord better than we have in the past and help us to grow closer to perfection as we respond correctly to the rain that falls in our lives. Good stuff.

On that note... I really should put the computer away and finish up on those lessons. So until Day Seven... Adieu! :-)

1 comment:

Vicki Smith said...

Look at you!!!-DAILY blogging! Good girl! I appreciate it so much. Some people look forward to the daily newspaper; for me, it's the blogs. ;-)
Cold, cold, cold! It was only in the low 30's last night when I walked across from HQ to Zion Hill and I was FROZEN! The wind was biting. Temps like you guys are experiencing would KILL folks back here, for sure.
I could see Grandmother and Granddad in my mind as you were describing them. Happy memories. I have nothing but fond memories of the cabin. --I'm glad you're being able to make some good "cabin memories" in your own cabin for your kids to look back on. They'll think of the great fort they built (and it will be even grander in their imaginations), and they'll be able to taste and smell Mom's homemade bread. Fun, fun, fun!