Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Weekend

Friday morning we got up and tried once more to have a "normal" day. But after discovering a centipede in the house, along with a spider and a few stink bugs, James decided it was time to bomb. We bomb the house a few times a year and the centipede pushed it over the edge. (Bug bombs, that is.) So we spent about an hour cleaning the house up (can't bomb a messy house, you know), then headed for town to try to find something to do.

We wandered here and there and finally wound up in the parking lot of Chuck E. Cheese, of all places. We haven't been there in years and I really thought the kids would have outgrown it by now, but I guess James knew better! It was actually lots and lots of fun. The place is such a racket (it's NUTS!), but the kids had a blast. It was a really fun surprise for all of us!

We had landed in the big shopping area up north that has every store known to man within a 1 mile radius, so we took advantage of the convenience. We went to Kohl's and James bought me a pair of shoes for my birthday. My feet were KILLING me by the end of Camp this year and my ankles were swollen--just like an old person! I've always worn those little itty-bitty canvas shoes that lend no support whatsoever. I never used to have any problems, but I was miserable by the end of Camp this year. Sad. So sad. Anyway, James bought me some nice little Keds. "Little" is a relative term. They only make size 9 1/2 so little, you know. That's why I wanted Keds. They make nice, normal shoes that aren't huge and clunky like your typical athletic shoes. ANYWAY...

After Kohl's we went to... hhmmm... What was next??? I think it was Best Buy. James left me in the laptop section with four options to choose from. He and the kids went to the other section and sat down and watched WALL-E for a while so I could have a chance to pore over my choices. We've been in the market for a laptop for me (I've never had one) for over two years now but it just never happened. God blessed us and we had the money to do it RIGHT NOW. So we did! I picked out a Gateway something-or-'nuther (it's all Greek to me) and I LOVE IT!!! I'm using it right now and I'm sooooo happy! It's soooooooooo nice. And I love it that it's MINE! It's my very own system that James isn't allowed to junk up. (You should see his desktop--it's got about 40 icons splattered all over the placce! Drives me NUTS!) ~sigh~ I'm so thankful. So far I haven't found anything that I don't like about this computer. It's fabulous. Oh, the color. It's brown instead of the bright cheery red I would have chosen were it offered. But I can imagine. And besides, James went to Wal-Mart and bought me a truly fantastic $9 laptop case that is red and black lumberjack plaid!!! What could be better than that?! I'm so happy!!! :-)

After Best Buy was an office store, I think. I ran in to pick up a small binder and page protectors so I can create a chorus book for myself with all of the chords to the songs written down so I can play them. Another thing that makes me truly happy!

Next was Bed, Bath & Beyond so we could buy a new bath pillow. Ours sprung a leak a few days ago and if you could see my bathtub you would know why it is imperative to have a bath pillow. Ha! You could very well drown without one. ;-)

Hhmmm. I know there was more than that, but it's all I can remember right now. We stayed gone from home for the necessary 4 hours (how long until you can re-enter the house after setting off the bug bombs), plus a couple. We got home and did evening school. Gotta love that! I tried to stay up and do the ironing, but there was a mountain of it (two weeks worth) and I just wasn't up to it after our day on the town.

Yesterday was a very full and productive day. We did school first thing in the morning, right after devotions. I ironed a little bit off and on throughout the day, but never got a lot done. I made a really great fried chicken dinner though! Everything turned out GREAT and the gravy was especially good. :-) I gathered the last of the laundry and got it finished up and watched Assembly DVD's while I stayed up and got ALL of the ironing done. I took breaks in between all of that to bake a blueberry pie and some brownies and start a pork roast so it would be nice and juicy and tender by morning.

This morning I used the roast to make some pulled pork for BBQ sandwiches. We loaded up all of the goodies I had made and headed off to church for our very first service with our new pastor!!! The Clarksons made it into town last night and today was Brother Chris' first service. It was so good and I already feel so blessed to have them here! I know God is going to do great things through their ministry here.

After service we all enjoyed the BBQ sandwiches and the fixin's that everybody else brought. Everything turned out quite well and I even heard somebody say it was the best blueberry pie they'd ever had! Ha! Who knew?! I've never made blueberry pie before but I happened to remember it was Brother Chris' favorite and the blueberries were really cheap at Sam's Club this past week, so I thought I'd give it a try. It looked purty, anyway! :-)



The sceptre, star and crown were James' doing, naturally. ;-) What better way to welcome your new pastor?! Ha!

We had a nice time of fellowship with everybody, then loaded up and headed to Hatch for the evening service. As always, we LOVED being in service there. I've never been there that I wasn't deeply blessed by the people and their worship and prayers. James wanted to present Brother Luis with his Evangelist's License instead of just mailing it to him and I'm so glad! It was so neat to be able to see it.



Brother Luis & Sister Keila both shared a few words and I was blessed by how seriously they are taking this step in their lives.

After service we stopped by the Soto's store and picked up some freshly roasted green chili's and a jar of salsa. Made James very, very happy. Tayde sent some chili's with us to give to the Clarkson's too. We'll see if they get any of them or not! Ha! We went to the Banuelos' house and visited and enjoyed some wonderful Mexican food. There is nothing like fresh, homemade tortillas and all the fixin's... though I'm too chicken to try anything green. They eat it HOT down there! We had a wonderful time visiting with everybody as we always do while the kids played outside and caught mammoth moths and a little green frog. Fun for everybody!

We headed home, but were so tired we decided to just stop and get a room for the night. I think we just WANTED to as much as anything. Life has been so crazy and it just sounded really good to cram a "vacation night" in! So we're at a really nice, clean, independant motel in... I'm not sure if we're in Elephant Butte, or Truth or Consequences. We saw signs for both. Anyway, it's been nice to just hang out in a nice, clean room with nothing to do but dink around on my NEW LAPTOP! :-)

Tomorrow we head home and HOPEFULLY will be able to help the Clarksons and Sister Connie get moved in to their places in the next few days. Say a prayer for God to provide for all of them quickly and sufficiently. They came here having no job (to help support what they'll receive from the Church, that is) and no home. God will surely bless and provide for them.

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

YAY! A new post! And your FIRST ONE on your very own new laptop. Maybe the new laptop will entice you back into regular blogging?
The picture of Luis is adorable. How'd he take the new about preaching at the Assembly? :-)

Tammy Washburn said...

I love the Pie Cutouts!

cokelady said...

Brother Luis was convinced for quite some time that I was just joking about him preaching at the Assembly. (Who, me???) I'm not sure he believed it even after James affirmed it--until he whipped out his program and showed it to him! Ha!

Thanks, Sister Tammy! Brother Chris loved the pie--I think he took a picture of it before anybody cut it. :-)