Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Good Monday

We had such a nice, relaxing stay in our motel last night! ~sigh!~ It was great. Got up this morning and took advantage of the hot breakfast, complete with waffles and three flavors of syrup. I went for the blackberry. :-)

We got home a little after noon today and started the big clean up. Seems like all I ever do is clean house anymore. The kids have gotten really, really bad about getting stuff out and then leaving it all over the place while they go look for something new to do. I never catch then in the act, however, so it's hard to curb. I just walk into a room and discover that it's suddenly completely out of control. Not that I could blame the house mess on them today, not exculsively anyway. We were in such a rush on Sunday morning trying to get ready for church, finish up the BBQ and other pot-luck stuff, AND make sure we had our "just in case" clothes packed for a motel (good thing we did!), that the house was left really, really messy. I HATE coming home to a house like that! But while I was trying to get it cleaned up today the kids were doing their invisible let's-surprise-Mom-with-our-stuff-all-over-the-house trick again. Enough so that I told them they are not allowed to have ANYTHING tomorrow without asking, even underwear. I intend, of course, for them to have fresh underwear but only after asking. ;-) If they ask, then I can TELL them to be sure and put the old ones in the hamper. There's something badly wrong when you still have to tell your kids such things. I didn't used to. I'm not sure what's happened to them! Or me???

I didn't have to cook dinner tonight because James was all wound up about the freshly roasted green chili the Soto's gave us. He couldn't even wait until dinner time. We went into the kitchen at about 3:30 and started making enchiladas! Ha! I must confess they were very, very good. :-)

I got the sheets changed today, caught up on laundry again, got my closet all cleaned up and organized, and got the kids' bathroom scrubbed down. It feels so good! There are just a few items to be ironed and the towels to be thrown in the dryer. If I can get my floors all cleaned tomorrow I will be a very happy camper.

It's interesting that on the days I don't intend to do school with the kids or time just gets away from me and I don't get to it... they end up gathering up their books and doing it anyway! Even Joe sat down with his books all by himself today. Wow! And Sam has been working like a Trojan to finish up his book so he could start his new one. He got it done today, so Katie threw him a graduation party! Ha! She had signs hung all over the room ("CONGRADUATIONS, SAM" and "Happy Graduation Party") and pictures of balloons and such. He had a special chair to sit in and she wrapped up a present for him. (I think it was a box full of things that already belonged to him, but no matter!) Katie told me she had to kick Joe out of the party 'cuz all he would do is ask if there was gonna be any cake. Ha! Here are a couple of pictures of Sam that I took earlier in the day. He cracks me up!!!





I'm not sure whether to call him Sam Paladin or Little Black Sambo. HA!

Hhmmm. Seems like there was something else to report about the day... Oh well.

Look, Mom! Two days in a row! (I address this to Mom since she's the only one I'm sure is still out there reading my blog any more! Ha!)

11 comments:

Kasey said...

little black sambo...:) enchiladas sound deliccccious

Tammy Washburn said...

Tell Sam, he looks real sinister!
And Katie's ConGraduation party is adorable.

I wish I had some real enchiladas. mmmmmmmmmmm

Guess what?

We might show up in your neck of the woods around balloon launch time. Mike is trying to work it all out. We'll make sure we go to church with you on a Sunday.

Vicki Smith said...

Yeah, Becki, you can always count on me to check your blog. When you haven't posted I sometimes check several times in a day, just in case. I check to see if you've posted AND I check your blog roll to see if Emilee has. It's been a WEEK, Em.
Sister Tammy, if you're smart you will NOT rely on any Balloon Fiesta information from the Hornes. They live right there and missed the WHOLE thing last year! It's terrible, and they should be ashamed! The Balloon Committee had to cancel the last day's activities due to weather, but James and Bec shouldn't have waited till the LAST DAY to go see it. It's truly an amazing sight.
Bec, Dad says Sam look like the Lone Paladin. ;-) If you were to get him dressed up in that garb again and get his picture with a western background (with no van or dumpster in the shot) it would make a great gift for Dad. He was disappointed to have such a great picture with the VAN in it! HA! As for me, he's SO ADORABLE I can look past the background stuff. :-)

ToughLady said...

I also read your blog so keep up blogging i always check your blog..
Sam is neat kid he can be so adorable...

cokelady said...

Kasey--Did you ever read that Little Black Sambo book as a kid??? I'd never heard of it before I met James, but it was one of his favorites! Ha! And the enchiladas were really, really good! ;-)

Sister Tammy--I'm sure James would be more than happy to make you some of those fantastic enchiladas if you make it out here for the Balloon Fiesta. :-) You have an open invitation to stay here with us, of course, unless you're the kind of unsociable people who would rather get a motel room. ;-) We love company, but we understand not everybody is built that way. I do hope you can make it out here. Maybe YOU could instruct US on when and where to go to see some balloons! Ha!

Mom, tell Dad that I TRIED to get a picture of Sam with nothing but landscape behind him, but the way the sun was shining it just wouldn't work--he was nothing but a black, shadowy blob! So I had to turn him the other direction and make do with the dumster and van. I'll do better next time. ;-)

Sister Janis, I intend to keep blogging whether I have any readers or not. Although I must admit that the comments certainly help nudge me to do it more often than when nobody says anything! The comments make it a whole lot more fun. But I have no right to say such a thing after being such a rotten commenter elsewhere! Ha!

Rebekah Doran said...

Sam is so funny! (and cute!)

How nice of Katie to throw Sam a grad. party. What a sister!

Tammy Washburn said...

I only have two / three commenters TOPS on my blog...but when I go into analytics, I find that I have followers all over the U.S. States or Cities that I don't even know people in! So that keeps me happy and on the straight and narrow.:)

Thanks for the invite to your home. If you won't take it personally ;) :)....we are "hotel" people. Ha! I'm soooory. We're sociable (my husband all the time...me most of the time until that dreaded hermit thing hits. Ha!) BUT we'll be sociable and come visit!!! I'll let Bro. James make me a REAL soda and we'll take you all out to eat.

If we get to come, we'll be there for a couple of days and then off to Colorado.

Tammy Washburn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vic said...

Sister Becki,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this is the best way to contact you...Do you have any ladies in your region that would like to participate in the Parade of Nations?? It's that time of year again...Anyone who loves the Lord, the church, will wear white, 12 years and up, be willing to practice on Thursday and march Thursday evening at around 7...Again thanks for your assistance each year for this event...

The pic of the "boy in black" is hilarious! You should consider writing children's books or something...Your writing abilities blow me away...

God bless...

cokelady said...

Sister Tammy -- It's always fascinating to find out all of the different locations that visit your blog regularly, especially when you don't KNOW anybody from there. Sometimes it can be a little creepy, but most of the time it's fun! ;-) It's strange... somehow I just pictured you as one of those weird "hotel" people! Ha! We would love to spend as little or as much time with you as you feel comfortable with, in our home or elsewhere. :-) And I'm sure James would be more than happy to whip you up a soda or two. I hope it all works out--I'd love to get to know you a little bit IN PERSON instead of just online! ;-)

Tammy Washburn said...

haahahahahahhahhahahaahahhahaaha! How'd you guess about that hotel thing without me telling you??????hahahahahhahhhahahhaha! We'll spend time with ya. We'd love to get to know ya'll too...the Assembly is always toooo busy to meet anyone.