Friday, August 28, 2009

And We're Off!!!

The Big Trip starts in just a few hours! Amazing how quickly it creeps up on you. But I've got three suitcases packed (not backed, as my last post stated--ha!) and loaded into the van that I spent an hour or more cleaning and vacuuming out today. All of our hanging clothes are on the rack, there is a bin of library books under the middle seat as well as a bin of bread and chips and other lunch equipment, the bottled water is on the floor in the back, and all of the kids' sleeping bags are loaded as well--just in case they might come in handy somewhere along the way. In the morning we'll throw in the last suitcase (it's waiting on James' shaving kit), some pillows, some CD's, a cooler with drinks, strawberry jam and lunchmeat, our laptops, a few kids, and we'll be on our way! All of the laundry and ironing is caught up (of course--it's all packed!), the dishes are all clean, and the house is looking good. I do think I'm going to sweep and swiffer the kitchen before I call it a night.

James decided that we would make the trek to Pennsylvania in three regular long days rather than two agonizingly long days. ;-) We're going to be crashing at the Adams Inn in Oklahoma City tomorrow night ;-) so it won't really cost us any extra to travel one extra day--especially since we're packing food instead of eating out every meal. And we get to FELLOWSHIP! With PEOPLE! I'm so looking forward to having some time with them. I think the last time I was at their house is when I was house sitting for them in Colorado Springs and they had that crazed black cat named Bear who would stalk you and swat at you and make scary growling noises--like nothing I've ever heard any other cat do. He was rather freaky! Ha! Still, I've got nothing but good memories that make me smile. Like all of us girls staying in the basement while we attended a seminar there in 'Springs... and dressing up in all of Gabe's Air Force clothes and taking tons of pictures... or the time we "babysat" Jeremy and Darren and ended up locking one of them outside and telling the other he'd have to lick his slurpie up off the carpet if he spilled it in the car. ~sigh~ Those were the good ole' days! Ha! I should let Brother Ray hide one of my boys in the dryer just to even things out from when I used to watch their boys! ;-)

Anyway, after our Oklahoma stop we have no idea where the next day will land us. Doesn't much matter so long as it's on the way to Pennsylvania. I haven't even looked at a map to familiarize myself with the route we'll be taking. We've only made the trip from our present location once before, you know. I'm not worried about it. I've got Sean all packed and ready to go. You get map lazy when you have a GPS. You don't do any thinking or planning for yourself, you just trust that the little computerized voice won't lead you wrong. It's sad, really.

I'd best call it a night. There are still a few things left to be done before we can leave in the morning and I know I'll be called upon to drive in the afternoon, so I really ought to get some sleep. I'll TRY to post along the way. But not tomorrow night. I'll be with PEOPLE. :-)

5 comments:

ToughLady said...

oh you can still post i would be looking at your blog, so for my sake blog...Drive safe and be careful..

Rebekah Doran said...

Have a good trip! Enjoy your PEOPLE. :D

Tammy Washburn said...

Hug the Adam's for me since I won't get to see them at the Assembly!

Have a great trip. See ya soon.

Melissa said...

I remember that crazy cat!! I spent the night there once with you. I was scared to turn off the light! He kept making noise at me..... Creepy thing... But as you say good memories:)God be with you all at the assembly. We've been praying/fasting this week. Love ya lady =)

cokelady said...

Sister Janis--I'll do my best to post, but my best isn't always all that impressive! I'll try though--for you. :-)

Thanks, Bekah--I've ALREADY been enjoying the PEOPLE!

Sister Tammy--Oops! I saw your comment too late to be able to pass it along to the Adams. But I'm pretty sure she got the message anyway. ;-)

Melissa--I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one with memories of that cat and creepy ones at that! Ha! I remember Jon going to the house with me one night so we could play Nintendo or some such thing (that's how teen-agers house sit, you know) and HE was royally freaked out by him, too! Jon tried to sleep on the couch, but it seems like Bear kept jumping up on the back of the couch and making that creepy noise of his and swatting at Jon or something like that! HA! You're right--so many great memories! :-) Wish we were going to be seeing you at the Assembly, lady! Love ya'!