Monday, December 5, 2011

I'm a Mom Again!

And it feels great. :-) I'm not a very good "misser" and we were way too busy to have a chance to really MISS the kids this past week anyway... but it really is great to be back together now. I think we may keep them for a while. ;-)

On Sunday morning we went to church in Lebanon. I think I enjoy being at that church as much as any church I've ever been to. :-) It just feels like home to me. It's so nice and simple and unpretentious--just like the folks in it. We had a good service and I truly felt the Lord there with us. James preached on the fear of the Lord and it was very good. After service we went to that great Mexican restaurant up there with the Cooks and visited for a long, long time. We had such a nice time with them! And some delicious Chili Colorado. :-)

When we left the restaurant we headed for Cleveland, arriving just a few minutes after service had begun. The Spirit was already moving and blessing in the song service and it was such a blessing to be able to join in. Sister Cox preached a wonderful message on making your calling and election sure. Good stuff. I love it when God speaks to my heart during a sermon and when it's all over I know what to go to the altar and talk to Him about!

The kids hadn't expected us to get in until late, so they were shocked when we arrived. I slid in the pew next to Katie and I thought she was going to squeeze my guts out when she hugged me. Sam was on the other side of Katie and my Mom, but the look on his face was priceless when he glanced over and saw us. Shock and then joy all mingled into one. :-) He's the one who gripes and complains and acts like being at Grandma's house is utter misery. Alcatraz, he calls it. HA! So he was extra thrilled to see us. Joe was playing the guitar for song service, so we didn't get hugs from him until after the service was over. I don't know what my Mom did to the boys and Charlie, but ALL of their hair grew about an inch while we were away--they are in dire need of haircuts!

We went to Steak ~n~ Shake with Mom & Dad after church. YUM. :-) Frisco melt with extra dipping sauce and a peppermint chocolate chip shake.

Mom and I stayed up way too late again--after 2:00am this time, I think. Then we were going to be up and headed back to Alabama "by 9:00," my husband had told me. HA. I was up and dressed by 8:00, but it took him a little longer to get rolling! And we had library books to locate and miscellaneous kid junk to gather from all over the house. Sam had already packed up all of his clothes and Joe's clothes the day before--he was ready to blow that joint. HA! Truthfully, he loves it there. He just doesn't like being ANYWHERE without me and/or his Dad. The first day they were up there this time I talked to him on the phone and he wanted to know how he could trust me that we wouldn't send them away again--we'd done it twice recently, you know. "How can I trust you, Mom???" Ha! Cracks me up. He griped at Grandma Vicki all week long (all in good humor--I think!) about being a prisoner there. :-)

Anyway, we stopped in Chattanooga and stopped by another salvage type store in search of great deals. We found a giant mirror for one of the upstairs bathrooms that's going to work perfect, I think--and it was way, way cheaper than we would have found anywhere else. Then it was Fazoli's for lunch before we headed back to Alabama.

When we got closer to home we had a whole serious of stops:

Guitar Center -- Joe played around on a 12 string guitar that he loves there and his Dad bought him some thumb picks since Jimmy Cox had let him borrow one and he thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Lifeway Christian Stores -- I can't remember what... but it was nice to look around!

Christmas Tree Shops -- Wrapping paper and lots of gifts for the Christmas party next week.

Carino's -- To enjoy Monday Night 1/2 price family platters... but we drove up and saw that it closed down last week. We knew it was just a matter of time. Sometimes we were the ONLY people in there and you just can't keep a business going like that. I'm sure it's because they were so stingy with their Italian sodas. ;-)

Jim `n Nicks was the Plan B--and it was a terrific one. :-)

Hobby Lobby -- For the kids to pick out their annual ornaments, which cracks me up. We're not having a Christmas tree this year, but we'll have new ornaments! Ha! Katie picked a Coca-Cola ornament, Joe got a bear on skis holding a gift, and Sam got a cowboy boot.

And then we FINALLY made it back home at about 7:30 tonight! ~whew~ It was a long day, but sort of nice to just dink around a bit and not worry about the Monstrosity OR things to be done at the Powell's house. It's been a great weekend. :-)

2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Good girl! It's nice to see a new post up. And here it is, nearly 2:00am AGAIN for me! I've been working on my Christmas newsletter and updating my annual "Year in Pictures" blog that I invite in my newsletter for people to view. :-) It's a WordPress blog and I'm really unfamiliar with how things work over there. I like blogger better.
Alcatraz is pretty quiet and lonely without the kids and the dog. I don't miss having to take the dog out all the time, but I miss playing with him and I miss the kids. Really I do! You didn't expect me to say that, did you? My house is cleaner but I'm reminded of that proverb, "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox." There are pros and cons to having a clean stable or house. ;-)

Gene and Sheila Powell said...

There is a small Christmas tree in that corner of th basement. Buy it might be more fun if the family just cuts one of the small cedars somewhere on the property.