Thursday, August 18, 2011

Taking a Break

It's 9:15 and there's still plenty to do, but I'm getting close enough to done that I figured I could take a break for a few minutes. Wonder if I'll regret it when I discover there's still more to be done than what I thought... Nah!

Get this. I've been packed since Tuesday. NO WAY!!! That's only because I knew there was a lot to be done AFTER the packing, so it forced me to start early. I love it when I'm forced to do things early. It's so unlike me (unless I'm forced) but I love how it feels. Wish I could pull it off without the being forced thing. Maybe some day.

Yesterday we left way early so we could make some necessary stops before church. We dropped a few things off at the cleaners, took all the books back to the library (Katie and I ran across the field with arms full of books because the traffic was wa-a-a-a-a-ay backed up--school letting out or something), then stopped by Spencer and Shayla's house (at least I can TYPE it correctly... I usually say Shencer and Spayla's house. One time I even said Spencer and Tracey's house. HA!) to drop off the Powell's mail. They weren't home. My kids were thrilled. HA! Usually when we stop by there I end up staying inside and visiting for way, way too long while James and the kids wait in the van. I just enjoy good company, I guess. :-)

Next stop was--you guessed it--a thrift store. James is insisting that I wear white for the Mission program at the Assembly. I'm not against doing it, I just haven't been able to find anything white. I've been looking for white shoes for years (casually, not as a full time pursuit--ha!) to no avail. They don't make anything white that isn't all open and sandal-ish. I hate sandals. I like my feet to be covered as much as possible. I'd just as soon not know they're there. ;-) ANYWAY, I've had a white skirt for a few years (super cheap at C&B) but no shoes and no white shirt or jacket. Joe was also in need of a white dress shirt, but the thrift store held neither.

James had caught some great sales at Penney's the other day, so we went there in search of all our white needs. Nope. They did have a shirt that I thought might work, but not in my size. They did, however, have remote controlled helicopters. The very same helicopter that Sam got for Christmas last year that promptly broke on Christmas day. We exchanged it and the next one broke, too. Sam had been working hard all week and had earned some money, so... He just loves those helicopters. :-) They were on a terrific sale, but it would wipe out all the money he just made. We reminded him that we are going on vacation after the Assembly and he might want to save his money in case he wants to buy anything then. We talked for several minutes and he nodded his head and said "yeah" in agreement with everything. Then James said, "Or you could buy the helicopter." Sam didn't miss a beat--"I'll buy the helicopter." HA!

By the time we got to the car Sam was having serious second thoughts--something not like him at all. Over the next few minutes he became truly miserable and was almost in tears over having spent his money, having none left, and what if this helicopter just breaks like the others--and can he even return it since it was a clearance item??? By the time we got to the Penney's in McCalla (to see if they had a white shirt in the right size) he had made his decision to try to get his money back if they'd let him. They did and now he's helicopterless, but has $15 to blow elsewhere and feels much better about life.

I doubt if he'll make it past the next helicopter display without caving in and buying another one. He just can't help himself. Loves those things for the few minutes they work.

They did have the right size at Penney's, so now I have a white shirt--which makes my husband very happy. He was also determined that I have white shoes, regardless of how ugly they might be. I couldn't make myself spend money on shoes that I don't like (to wear for an hour or two?!) I'd rather just wear black or brown.

So we stopped by The Shoe Dept. They do have some great sales. I ended up getting a pair of really cute brown dress shoes (needed those for years, too) and a truly horrid pair of white shoes because they were only $10 and they fit. ~sigh~ A waste of money and precious luggage space in my estimation. ;-)

We grabbed dinner at Chick-Fil-A then went on to Brother Carpenter's CPMA service. I appreciate Brother Carpenter. He surprises me with some of the insights he receives from scripture. He had some very good things to share about Naboth's vineyard and how he didn't--and we shouldn't--ever compromise and sell out or let go of our heritage and all that God has given us.

We didn't have time to go out and visit with people after church, so we spent an equal amount of time just visiting there at the church. Ha! Spent a considerable amount of time trying to help Brother Ridlespurge decide if it is a Pastors' Conference or a Pastors Conference (is it the PASTORS' Conference... or is it a Conference OF pastors? A flock of geese or the geese's flock???), then getting some good vacation pointers from Brother Will and Sister Krystal.

Then we had to stop at Wal-Mart on the way home. Crazy. Had a few last minute Assembly items we were in need of. Of course, we forgot to buy the clothes bar for the van that we were supposed to get. Oops. That means James had to go buy one this morning. He got the best one they had... and the hook promptly snapped when we placed the last of our hanging clothes on it. HA! We have a horrible history with clothes rods. Suits are so heavy--and now that I have some dress jackets to wear our clothes are even weightier than before! We ended up using portions of Joe's rope to tie the rod up. Ha! We'll see if everything is still hanging in the morning or just in a giant heap.

Today I've managed to do several loads of laundry, get all of the sheets washed and changed, clean all of the upstairs bathrooms and the floors up there. James got packed this afternoon and we were able to get the van all loaded, so that will make our early morning a lot easier. I have the downstairs bathroom to clean, the kitchen to straighten up, and the floors to shine--and one more load of towels to wash. We're all camping out in the living room tonight (which the kids think is so cool), then we'll throw the sleeping bags in the van and fold the blankets and put them away. I'm hoping there's not something big and dirty somewhere that I'm forgetting about. Ha!

The only other news of interest is that Sam has been sick all day. He woke up not feeling well and has spent nearly the entire day asleep on the couch. He played with some toys for a little while, but never did sit up. He finally ate some soup tonight and we're trusting and praying that he'll be better by morning.

Sister Dudley and Thomas stopped by for a while this evening. She brought some craft supplies for Katie to be able to make things for the Mission Table at the Assembly--and even stayed and taught Katie how to do it (plastic canvas stuff--Kate hasn't done any in a long, long time), which Katie LOVED. James took Thomas around outside and showed him a few things he wasn't able to get to (weed-eating and such) so he can come take care of that when we're gone. It was obvious that Sam was really and truly sick because he never did end up on Thomas' back, wrestling and trying to steal his wallet or anything--he just sat there and grinned every now and then.

We leave early tomorrow for IYC and the Assembly! After that we've got some vacation plans. I'm looking forward to ALL of it. :-)

Oh yeah--for anybody who might be helping us pray (or sitting back thinking we're crazy for praying about a house that somebody else is buying--ha!), we found out yesterday that the Quinncrest Monstrosity is set to close at the end of August. If it doesn't close by then for whatever reason, the contract is then void. To be completely honest, I haven't really been praying about it very much myself lately--almost forgot about it entirely for a couple of days! Other things have been occupying my time and thoughts and prayers. It's in God's hands. We should hear something while we're at the Assembly, either "Sorry, it's sold" or "Guess what!!! The contract fell through and they accepted your offer!" A rational person would put their money on the former... a hopeful person who believes God can work miracles is still holding out for the latter. ;-) And either way, we'll be happy knowing that God has a perfect plan for our family and our future.

4 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I've been praying about your White House every day, I think. I'm still believing God for a miracle--if it's okay with Him and it wouldn't be of any spiritual detriment to you guys (can't help the disclaimers--you get it from me).
I, too, am packed. Pretty much. I have a few more things to throw in tomorrow morning. I never did make a menu for the after-the-Assembly days. Maybe I'll do that real quick and e-mail you a list. Or maybe not. We'll see. I'm sleepy and want to go to bed but I know I'll sleep better if I make that menu tonight. I'm a much better night thinker than I am a morning thinker.
Hope Sam is ALL BETTER!

cokelady said...

It's just after 1:00am and it looks to be a long night ahead of us if God doesn't help right away! Joe is sick now. Made several rushed trips to the bathroom (a freshly scrubbed and sanitized bathroom, of course--guess I'll be cleaning that one again in the morning!), one time having to fight with Sam for space to... well, you know. We're praying that God will heal everybody completely and stop whatever this is right here. The last thing we need is to take and spread it all over IYC and the Assembly! Trusting for divine healing for the sick, and divine health for the haven't-caught-it-yet. :-)

Gene and Sheila Powell said...

So sorry about some being sick.
It sounds like you over did the house work.
Look forward to seeing you Wednesday.
We are franticly trying to get all of our prep and packing done.

melissa h said...

I will keep praying about your white house!! Jesus knows just how to bless us :-)
I hope and pray you all have a great IYC!! ...What do people like you do with your children during IYC..? Do they have a place for kids?
Love ya!