Saturday, May 21, 2011

Company and Home Cooked Food

What could be better?!

Thursday was a great big CLEANING DAY around here. We didn't even do school. I just haven't been able to get all of the things done that have needed done and decided to devote the day to making THAT the priority. The motivation, of course, was that we had people coming over. Nothing gets you movin' on house work like the thought of people seeing how you really live. HA! I got all of the things done that I had hoped to, but the biggest success of the day was getting all of the bathrooms clean at the same time. Wa-Hoo!

I had gotten up at 4:45am to put the brisket in the oven, but the rest of dinner didn't need tended to until evening. Brother Rob and Sister Missy and Brother Rob's mom, Mary, came for dinner :-) We had met Mary 10 or 11 years ago when she'd come to Colorado to visit the Hawkins and we had a wonderful time with her, so we were excited to be able to see her again. Dinner turned out great and Sister Missy had brought a lemon-pineapple pie that was a delightful addition. After dinner we visited for quite a while, then played a game of I-Buy like we had last time we were all together. It was great. I just LOVE listening to Mary talk. She's from New Jersey and has a TERRIFIC accent, and she's just so blunt and so funny. I'm so glad we were able to have them over! It's the first company we've had since we've been here (that's just wrong!) and it made me very, very happy. :-)

Yesterday was a long day of school. Double school for everybody since we had missed Thursday. Poor Katie. She worked a-a-a-a-a-all day long trying to get caught up. She's got a heavier work load than the boys anyway, but she's also been struggling with her History & Geography and her Math (adding and subtracting fractions and mixed numbers, simplifying and reducing them--all the stuff that I had completely forgotten how to do until having to help her with it!), so she ends up having to re-do a lot of stuff right now. She'll be glad when this school year is over! She had worked so hard all day (literally--up to dinner time, then some AFTER dinner to get caught up!), so I let her get up after the boys had gone to bed and come watch a girl movie with me. :-)

~sigh~ I'm in love with the Powell's Jenn-Air range top. It is the coolest thing EVER. James agrees, but says we're not going to have the money to buy one for our own house. Bummer! I'll be checking Craigslist. ;-) It has two burners on the right side, but the left side is a griddle (though you can pull it out and put two burners on that side if you need to) and we have learned to lo-o-o-o-o-ove the griddle. Last night I made parmesan chicken on it and James declares it was the best he's ever eaten. Maybe if I do that a few more times he'll decide we can afford a Jenn-Air of our own after all. Ha! Mostly it just feels good to be enjoying some nice home cooked meals. Brisket with cheesy potatoes, corn, green bean casserole and brown-n-serve rolls on Thursday, along with a raspberry cake and Sister Missy's pineapple pie, then some fantastical parmesan chicken with spaghetti last night. Makes me happy. We've eaten out sooooo much since we've lived here and I'm so tired of "that" food. Eating at home has become way too rare, but it's WAY more appreciated when it does happen. :-)

The kids are THRILLED that today is Saturday. It seems like we're on the go all the time here and they "haven't had a day off in ages," they declare. We were at a funeral two weeks ago and in Anniston last week. They LOVED the day at Sister Bishop's house, but they still feel gyped because they can't remember the last time we were home at the Powell's house and they could just play and romp in the woods all day long with no school to interfere with the fun. We will be going to town tonight, but we won't talk about that until they've had plenty of time to play. :-)

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Adorable template, and how did you get that cool font???
I concur with your kids' delight in being home on a Saturday. I don't remember the last time that happened for us! I'm exhausted, though. I've been trying to work in the the flower beds out front. It's SO HOT and sticky! I've sweat and sweat. Okay, I'm already DONE with summer! ;-) I hate sweating. I've already given up working outside, at least for a few hours, and I'm just over half done. And when are we going to get a garden planted? It's too hot to be outside.
So happy your company dinner and game night turned out so well. I got to be in on the last one--it was at my house. Wish I could have been there for this one.

cokelady said...

Thanks--I love the template. At least this week. It'll have to change relatively soon because I'll be needing something RED. :-) I just discovered a whole new list of fonts in the Advanced section of the template designer (where you go to change the font colors and all that stuff) under the "Edit HTML" section of the "Design" tab. Have fun! :-) Did you noticed that the kids and I all got new pictures and descriptions on the sidebar--and James is now officially a member of the family! And Charlie, too. ;-)

The weather was much better last week, for sure! It's starting to feel a lot more like what I expected it to feel like in Alabama. Bummer. ;-) I can't imagine planting a garden. "We should have to go outside to get there!" You're working out in all of that misery just for flowers--not even future food. Crazy woman!!!

Vicki Smith said...

No, not really for flowers so much as getting rid of all the weeds--we have all those shrubs and bushes out there. But I did put in a new rose bush. It will make Sister Bishop so very happy to know I finally bought a knock-out rose bush. ;-)And I do have daisies, some star gazer lilies, and a clematis that I planted a couple of years ago.
Yes, I DID notice the new pictures and descriptions. Fun! Has the rest of the family been informed of their bios?
BTW, today is Brother Dupre's birthday. I know you always did something for him when you were at BTI. I'm going to make him some lemon bars or something to take to work tomorrow.