Thursday, March 3, 2011

Catching Up, Part 3

Sorry ‘bout the lapse. I’ve had high hopes of getting the blog all caught up, but it hasn’t come to fruition as yet. I’ll try to pick up where I left off last time: our arrival at the Powell’s house.

I had seen some pictures and James had told me about it, but I was still overwhelmed with how beautiful everything is! The Powells are such sweet and amazing people. He cracks me up. He is so on top of things—I can’t believe everything he made time for as they were preparing for their departure for a year long mission trip to Korea, including showing James how to build the fold-up boat (for real--does that sound scary, or what?!) for the boys! He is extremely thorough and had lots of (much appreciated) instructions that will help us be able to take care of things around here. He doesn’t seem to realize that THEY are the ones who are being such an unbelievable blessing to US. To listen to him, we’re doing them the biggest favor in the world by “being willing” to stay at their house and watch over things for them. Ha! I told James that I feel so spoiled. Most people who are in between houses stay in an apartment or an extended stay hotel or something like that. We have just moved into a fully furnished vacation home!

The house itself is beautiful, two story with a basement/garage below. As you walk toward the house you pass the prettiest little waterfall and goldfish pond. The front porch extends the entire length of the house. You come in the front door into a spacious living area, stairs to the left, kitchen, utility room and pantry to the right. The kitchen is gorgeous and the utility room is separate—I love being able to close off laundry mess! :-) They’ve got a great big, looooong dining table (I love it!) and some super comfortable couches. The couches make me very nervous because they are a neutral beige sort of color. I felt much better when the Powells told me they’re planning on replacing them when they get back from their trip! ~whew~ Kids are hard on neutral colored furniture! Ha!

There is a wood burning fireplace in the center of the room, separating the kitchen from the living room. The back wall of the living room is all windows along with glass doors leading to a deck with patio furniture and bird feeders that attract tons of beautiful birds—-the red cardinals being my favorite. They’re so bright and cheery looking. To the left of the living room is a beautiful little bedroom (that Katie has claimed for her own) overlooking the pretty waterfall and goldfish pond outside, an office for James, and a bathroom between the two rooms.
Upstairs is the master bedroom, complete with walk-in closet, large master bath, AND an extra sink and vanity area outside of the bathroom—-something I’ve already fallen in love with! It is sooooo nice and convenient to not have to wait on James to get out of the bathroom so I can fix my hair. HA! There is a walkway from that room across to another bedroom that has become the boys’ room. It’s a large room with a couch area on one end and a bed hanging from chains (it’s so cool!) at the other. Then there are stairs going to a loft area-—the place where the boys actually sleep since they’re not allowed to touch the hanging bed! I’m afraid they might get a little overzealous and crash into the wall. ;-)

The house sits on top of a steep hill, but has a nice paved driveway up from the road below. It feels very mountainish, even though I think I heard the highest point in Alabama is only 2,400 feet. HA! How sad. ;-) There is a creek way down the hill behind the house, a tree house on the other side, a lake within walking distance, and lizards and anoles galore. My boys are in heaven!!!

I’ll have to take pictures of the house one of these days. I really do feel like we’re living in a vacation home. Everything is so beautiful. We are so, so, so blessed to be here. It’s about an hour away from the Bessemer church, but we’re used to driving. :-)

The Powells have not only worked out an arrangement with James for us to have a place to stay right now, but they have also lent us their dog. :-) Brady is a great big, shaggy, happy, over-grown Benji sort of a dog and we’ve all fallen in love with him already. There are several other big dogs around here as well and they all roam free and go visit one another whenever they feel like it. It makes me nervous for Charlie, but so far everybody seems to either be very friendly with him or ignore him entirely. It’s been quite confusing for Charlie, however, and he seems to think he’s just like everybody else and should be able to hang out with the big boys and go wherever they go and do whatever they do. I have been extremely relieved to discover that Charlie is not a runner! At least not yet. :-/ He does very well off leash and though he doesn’t always come when called, neither does he take off like a grayhound (as Hershey was prone to do) and disappear. That is SUCH a relief!!!
Okay, so that didn’t actually pick up the story at all, did it. I’ll start a new post where I left off instead of adding it all here. :-)

No comments: