Friday, November 12, 2010

Sometimes It's Hard to Know What to Blog

Like right now. There are so many big things going on in my heart and mind right now, but nothing really to discuss. I will say that God has been good to me and I love feeling Him guiding, directing, and challenging me. I want to walk worthy of the vocation wherewith I am called... and a thousand other scriptures that have spoken to me this past week! Like, "REST in the Lord; WAIT PATIENTLY for him..." Waiting is so hard. And I keep reminding myself that God does not need my assistance to bring His will to pass. Sometimes we just need to wait and pray and trust. It's so much easier to DO something than to wait and trust! Ha! But God is helping me and I'm so thankful.

So aside from those sorts of things, the only other really NEW thing happening around here is Charlie. That's the name the puppy ended up with. I still think it would have been fun to name him Oh Henry and we could have called him Hank, but all three kids were in agreement about Charlie, so Charlie it is.

I knew a puppy would be a LOT of work... but I just don't remember Hershey being this much work! Ha! I am fully convinced that I got more sleep after having a new baby than I'm getting right now. In house training this pup, I watch him like a hawk all... day... long. Don't want to miss any signals, you know?! And due to my diligence and/or a puppy who is either very smart or just prefers to do that sort of thing out of doors naturally, we haven't had ANY accidents in the house since we got him home three days ago! Wa-Hoo!!! I say we didn't have any. There was one little puddle in the bathroom the first night after he'd been locked in there for several hours. Can hardly blame him for that one.

Ah, yes. Nighttime. Nighttime has not been fun around here! This is where the big difference comes in -- between Charlie and Hershey, that is. When James brought Hershey home we determined that he would spend his nights in the bathroom, bed in one corner, training mat in the other, until he was house trained. I remember telling James that first night, "He's going to whine and whimper and scream and cry and be soooooo pitiful--prepare yourself." And so on. I put Hershey to bed that first night, shut the door... and we never heard a peep out of him. Ever!!! Hershey, for all the ways he was very BAD (like running away--like the wind!), just NEVER cried. He was soooooo content and quiet. Well, Charlie isn't exactly like that. Ha! He was asleep in his bed that first night when I carried it into the bathroom at about 11:00. At midnight he woke up and started crying. And crying. And crying and crying and crying. Ha! James gave up after about 20 minutes and went to the den to try to sleep. (Are you imagining this?! When you think about it, it is CRAZY what people go through for the sake of a dog!) I lasted a bit longer and finally went to get my computer. I checked my e-mail and dinked around for a while, but Charlie was still going strong. Finally, at 2:00 in the morning I'm Googling, "my puppy cries all night" to see what should be done! Ha! The biggest thing I found was DON'T go get him! The last thing you want to do is reward his persistence. Ooooooookay. So???

I read all sorts of advice, but no need to share it all here. Let's just say I was rummaging through the shed at 3:00 in the morning in search of our port-a-crib! HA! Crazy. I found it, got it set up by my bed (this is getting more embarrassing all the time) and when the dog FINALLY stopped crying and had been quiet for several minutes, I went and got him out of the bathroom. Took him outside, then put his bed and pillow on one end of the crib and the pad on the other end. I think that was about 3:30. He was still extremely restless (first night away from mom has got to be tough) and woke up every 20 or 30 minutes until we got up at 7:00.

Last night he did MUCH better being next to our bed, but still woke up often during the night. I reached down and reassured him that he's not alone (this is so pitiful--I'm convincing Emilee that she will NEVER get a dog, I'm sure! Ha!) and he would settle down and go back to sleep--though I did take him outside twice when he was especially restless. Both outside ventures proved to be necessary.

So today I've been sooooooo tired. I took a little nap with Charlie on the couch this afternoon, but only for a few minutes. I intend to go to bed as soon as Charlie does tonight! Ha! And get this... my goal for tonight was to keep him awake for several hours before bed so he'd sleep longer tonight--just like people do with their babies! Ha! He was sooooo tired a little while ago and you can only torment him for so long, you know? So I decided to give him a bath to keep him awake--just like people do with babies, right?! Ha! It was quite traumatic for Charlie, I assure you. He wasn't happy with it at all, but when I turned the sprayer on to rinse him off (forgetting that the first water to come out would be very cold) he started screaming and flailing and never did quit. It was sad, but still funny. And I think he's going to be like Rusty, Mom. He holds a grudge. Ha! Hershey was happy ALWAYS, but Rusty held a grudge and could somehow even give you dirty looks. I think Charlie will be more like Rusty! He didn't handle the blow drier and brushing very well either. It's a rough life, being a dog. ;-)

He was cranky and cold for about 30 minutes after his bath, but then he was right back to being sooooo tired he couldn't keep his eyes open. ~sigh~ I finally decided to let him sleep for about 30 minutes, then I'll wake him up again. It's almost time. Then I've just got to keep him up until 10:00 and hope for the best! ~sigh~ This is soooooooo crazy.

Anyway, for all the trouble Charlie is, he's awfully cute. :-)

The whole family spends LOTS of time with him, but especially Katie. She spends most of her day either holding him or chasing him.
Here's Joe just after we brought him home on Wednesday. I love how HAPPY he looks here. When we went to look at the puppy Joe was almost depressed. He didn't want to look at any more dogs--"We're not going to GET one anyway." When we were at the lady's house and James whipped out his checkbook I asked the kids if they knew what their dad was doing. When I said he was writing the lady a check they all just stared at me in disbelieve for a few seconds, then they ALL started crying! They were sooooooooooo happy and excited! :-)
The kids fight over who gets to have the dog all the time. We sometimes set the timer and give them 10 minutes apiece. Ha! It was Sam's turn during school this morning.
Though he insists the dog doesn't belong to him ("I got him for you and the kids") and tries to act like he doesn't care about the dog at all and never will ("He's okay, I guess"), James is already suckered by him. He watches him and smiles a lot, and laughs at his puppy antics. I think James was shocked to discover how much he ended up liking Hershey and figures he'll probably end up feeling the same way about this dog.
And HOW COULD YOU NOT LOVE THIS GUY??? Even if he does keep you up all night. ;-) And here are a couple of pictures of bath time...

How sad. A whole post about a dog. I'll do better next time, I hope. Unfortunately, the dog has been pretty much consuming my life and is all I really have to talk about right now!

Oh, yeah! Here's some good news. I got my glasses today! Wa-Hoo! What a relief! We'd been home from our Alabama trip a few days when I noticed that I couldn't find my glasses anywhere and couldn't remember the last time I'd had them. Long story short, the Baymont Inn in Longview, Texas is very accommodating. :-) I thanked them soooooo much that they were so helpful and willing to assist an idiot who left her glasses in a room there. The lady assured me that they have a great Idiot Recovery Program. I was a little offended that she agreed with the idiot thing so easily (ha!), but so thankful! The glasses finally arrived today and I didn't even have to pay for them--they paid for the shipping and all. Nice. :-)

Okay, that's it. A long post about a DOG--who just woke up! Wa-Hoo! Time to take him outside and then keep him awake for a couple more hours. Wish me luck. I really need some sleep! Pitiful. ;-)

14 comments:

cokelady said...

Wa-Hoo!!! MUCH more successful night with Charlie last night! Only had to go outside once, and responded well to, "NO!!! GO BACK TO BED!" the rest of the time. Ha! I can handle getting up once a night to take him outside if he can handle SLEEPING the rest of the night! ;-)

cokelady said...

How sad... to be the first one to comment on your own post. AND the second! ;-)

Vicki Smith said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I was all prepared to get on here and tell you, "You just wait . . . you'll get a SLEW of comments on this post because people LOVE dogs." But, apparently I'm wrong. Again. :-) Actually, it's still early, VERY early for most of your readers, on a Saturday morning. I enjoyed reading all about the newest family member. ;-) --And I'm happy to read in your comment above that your night was much more restful last night. Cool beans!

Tammy K. said...

You even posted a picture of his first bath,just like parents do.
:-) James looks like he likes the dog. Reading your post has confirmed I don't think I want another dog when something bad happens to Archie. And it also makes me understand more why I waited 4 years to let Sam talk me into getting a dog.
He is cute though and I am happy for you and the kids. Will I ever meet him? How sad that I may not.

Tammy K. said...

the pictures of the kids with the dog are so cute. Love how content Sam looks.

Grace & Co said...

I think Charlie is the cutest ball of fluff! I just want to hold him and squeeze him! ;) Instead I'll hold my wee babe.. and squeeze her. Ha!

Rebekah Doran said...

I definitely don't want to get a dog now. lol Wow, that is alot of work. If I ever did, Elijah and Jacob will be the ones having to train it etc. BUT that being said, it made for a very amusing post. :) Your kids all look very happy and even James looks happy! Glad to hear that you had a better night last night. Been praying that your Open house goes well.

Rebekah Doran said...

I liked your idea of calling him O Henry and then Hank for short. That would have been cute. Charlie sure is a cute little thing.

ToughLady said...

oh he is adorable i dont care if nobody else likes dogs i do and i am glad you got one, Bro. James looks like he likes him....
Yes they are a lot of work in the beginning but so rewarding in the end they make life less stressful.

cokelady said...

Tammy, I thought about that--posting pictures of "the first bath" and all. HA! If I'm going to put this much work into a dog then he's got to warrant a "part of the family" position. ;-)

Grace, maybe we will see each other some time and you can squeeze my little ball of fluff and I can squeeze your little ball of cuddliness. :-)

Rebekah, thanks for the prayers for the Open House. Jason said it went well--I guess we'll know soon enough if anything will come of it. As for Charlie, frankly puppies aren't nearly this much work for everybody. There would be no crying at night if I let him sleep with somebody instead of "alone" in his bed. Eventually, I WANT him to sleep with somebody (probably Katie), but right now while he's little he's GOT to learn how to be alone--because there will be times when he'll have to and I don't want him to be miserable and cry the whole time. And the 24/7 thing is only because I am a firm believer in having the house training done PRONTO and COMPLETELY so as to never have problems in the future like so many other people have with their dogs making messes "on occasion." I'm investing crazy amounts of time and effort NOW in hopes of having a truly great dog for many years to come. ;-) I liked the Oh Henry/Hank thing, too, but decided to defer to the children this time. :-)

Sister Janis, I wish you could see him--only other dog people can truly appreciate how adorable he is. :-) And you're so right about the stress thing. Although on occasion they CAUSE stress (only when we travel and have to figure out what to do with them), they are soooooo nice to have around to absorb all of MY stress on a daily basis! It's amazing how soothing they are when you're having a bad day. :-)

cokelady said...

Tammy, I thought about that--posting pictures of "the first bath" and all. HA! If I'm going to put this much work into a dog then he's got to warrant a "part of the family" position. ;-)

Grace, maybe we will see each other some time and you can squeeze my little ball of fluff and I can squeeze your little ball of cuddliness. :-)

Rebekah, thanks for the prayers for the Open House. Jason said it went well--I guess we'll know soon enough if anything will come of it. As for Charlie, frankly puppies aren't nearly this much work for everybody. There would be no crying at night if I let him sleep with somebody instead of "alone" in his bed. Eventually, I WANT him to sleep with somebody (probably Katie), but right now while he's little he's GOT to learn how to be alone--because there will be times when he'll have to and I don't want him to be miserable and cry the whole time. And the 24/7 thing is only because I am a firm believer in having the house training done PRONTO and COMPLETELY so as to never have problems in the future like so many other people have with their dogs making messes "on occasion." I'm investing crazy amounts of time and effort NOW in hopes of having a truly great dog for many years to come. ;-) I liked the Oh Henry/Hank thing, too, but decided to defer to the children this time. :-)

Sister Janis, I wish you could see him--only other dog people can truly appreciate how adorable he is. :-) And you're so right about the stress thing. Although on occasion they CAUSE stress (only when we travel and have to figure out what to do with them), they are soooooo nice to have around to absorb all of MY stress on a daily basis! It's amazing how soothing they are when you're having a bad day. :-)

EmileeAnn said...

You're right Becki...after reading your story today there is NO way I can imagine getting a puppy. Good grief...getting up in the middle of the night because of a crying DOG! You've got to be kidding me! :-) And then setting up the port-a-crib so he can sleep next to you. HA! I laugh!!! The whole thing is so funny (and crazy) to me, but he is awful cute.

Too bad the kids wouldn't go for Hank. When you say Charlie I think of your stuffed bear. :-)

cokelady said...

I know, Em--it is NUTS!!! But surely it says something about my sanity that I'm actually AWARE that this whole puppy venture is completely crazy, right?! ;-) And like I said, it doesn't HAVE to be so hard... if you just give them what they want. But I'm working HARD in hopes of having a great dog in the end. We'll see if I can hold out or if I cave in here in a few days! HA! I must say, however, that this 8 week old puppy that we have had for 3 days APPEARS to be trained to "do his thing" outside ON COMMAND. It's amazing! Still no inside accidents to speak of. It gives me hope that my consistency may be worth it in the end. Right??? ANYWAY, I still think you should have a dog. Nathan is plenty old enough to take responsibility for it so you don't have to worry about any of this stuff. ;-)

Tammy Washburn said...

I think you are absolutely crazy! Ha!

But I'm perfectly fine with being the resident animal despiser. Doesn't bother me in the least. My husband and I are in perfect agreement. Dustin got a dog too this weekend. Must be in the air. It will the first dog he's ever had to live indoors.