Thursday, September 13, 2012

Genuinely Busy

That's what's going on here. It's not laziness or "not in the mood to blog"-ativeness. It's just that I've been very, very busy. I love it that we're pretending that it's "fall," the time of the year when things "slow down." I wore a turtleneck a few days ago, not because it was cold enough (or even mildly cool) but because I wanted to. Maybe I even needed to. I don't know, but it was great for a few hours until I was just working way too hard to handle it and had to switch to a t-shirt. In any case, I'm in fall mode all the way--mentally. But only mentally.

I can't remember what all has been going on since we got home from the Assembly two weeks ago. I know the first few days were spent putting the state paper together. Then I had my VLB service on Wednesday, my ABM service on Friday, then taught Sunday School that Sunday, so prep-work pretty well consumed my days--as well as praying and begging God for some answers about our fast approaching Ladies' Retreat. (He's not telling, by the way. Please pray!) And getting the kids started on school, of course. The first week was spent doing worksheets and such, but as of this week all three kids are doing S.o.S... I can't use the real name on here because every time I do I get a comment from somebody who works there thanking me for using them and encouraging everybody else to do the same. :-) So I usually just say "computer school." It's Sam's first year and he's loving it so far. Actually all three kids are loving it. It's been four days and everybody still seems to be excited and having a blast. We've had years when there have been tears on the very first day, so I'm really enjoying the fact that they all LIKE school for now. The whole first week--it's a miracle! It can't last long. I think they're just happy to have something to DO and to be back to something somewhat normal. And to feel like they're accomplishing something. We all need that.

This week I managed to get all of the laundry and ironing caught up (no small miracle there--we're talking Assembly/vacation clothes ALL ironed! WOW!) and have been working on the new State Planning Guide. Ah, yes--I have a story that I'm sure you'll find amusing. Anyone would find this amusing. Except for James. But he has no sense of humor. ;-)

In last year's planning guide, I accidentally listed Kristal Hopkins (her maiden name) instead of Kristal Cox. I don't know why I did it. I never even really KNEW her when she was Kristal Hopkins. I like to blame Facebook since so many folks there have their maiden/married name listed as their identity so I regularly see "Kristal Hopkins Cox" and my brain somehow grabbed onto the Hopkins instead of the Cox. ANYWAY, I remembered that I had made that mistake last year. So this year when I started working on the new guide I thought, "Ah, yes--I had her name wrong last year. I'm going to fix it right away before I forget about it." And I did. Went to it and switched it from one name to another. Well..

After everything was all printed Katie looked at it and said, "Mom, you put 'Kristal Hopkins' again this year!" I told her to cut it out--I had changed it and she knew it. "No--really, Mom, you did! It's right here." I just rolled my eyes and ignored her, but she was so persistent that I finally went to look. Lo, and behold, she was right. I started racking my brain trying to figure out how in the world that happened since I KNEW that I'd just changed it. In fact, I had just said to James the day before, "Remember how I had Sister Kristal's name wrong last year? I remembered it all by myself and went and changed it--first thing." I was so proud of myself. But as I stared at the page saying "'Kristal Hopkins" I started to put the pieces together. After the blunder last year I must've opened the file and corrected it, changing it to Cox so I wouldn't forget about it and have the same mistake this year. Part of me may even vaguely remember that I did that... but I DIDN'T remember when I started working on the paper again. I remembered last year's mistake, but not that I'd already corrected it. So in my haste and excitement over the fact that I actually remembered something that was a miracle for me to remember, I opened the file and changed Kristal Cox back into Kristal Hopkins, thinking that I was "fixing" it. ~sigh~ Amazing. The harder I try... I tell ya'!

James was so distraught when he learned of this mistake that he just took the whole Planning Guide and dumped it in the trash and said we'd fix it and print again. Of course, this was just moments after he informed me that I had "fixed" the error on his Ministers' Convention program by creating a new error, dismissing the morning session at 1:10 and starting the afternoon session at 1:30. Oopsie. :-/ It must be really, really trying on a personality like James' to be married to a personality like mine. Of course, we all know that's a two-way street. Hahahahahaha! It's so important to him for things to be RIGHT, especially when you're doing stuff for the Church. He hates seeing things done sloppy or carelessly because it makes the Church look bad. (Thus the resigned trash-it-and-print-anew reponse.) As for my Hopkins/Cox blunder and being an hour off with the schedule for Convention, James just can't fathom people's brains working (or NOT working) like that. He used to always ask me, "Why did you DO that???" As if there was a suitable answer. Or if (read "when") I lost something, "Well, where did you PUT it???" Questions like that are as baffling to me as my blunders are to him. The only answers I can ever come up with are things like, "For the fun of it," which, by the way, is NOT the right answer. ;-) I do feel genuinely sorry when I blow it like that and I felt especially bad this time. I know James has had a whole lot on him and has felt lots of extra stress going into this Convention--just so much to do and so little time to do it in. I hate it that I added to the stress instead of relieving some of it! I've really, really been trying to balance my life better and wear all the different hats without failing or neglecting any of them. I tried so hard to put out a good paper, put my heart into VLB service, put together an effective ABM service, come up with something to say for a whole hour in Sunday School (I'm really struggling with that one; I'd be a lot better Sunday School teacher if class was 15 minutes instead--ha!), build a beautiful and accurate Planning Guide (I really did try), and help out with anything and everything else that James might need me for--while trying to just be a good wife and Mom and teacher without neglecting those--my FIRST and most important--responsibilities. I've stayed on top of the laundry and ironing and I've managed several good, home cooked meals--pork chops, clam chowder, meatloaf, deer steaks... I'm usually bad about not balancing things well and the house or the schooling or the meals get neglected--and I hate that! But I've tried so-o-o-o-o-o-o hard to give myself to ALL of the responsibilities instead of just a few at a time. I've felt pretty good about it until I discover the blunders I've been making! Mom isn't feeling very hopeful about the proof reading work I'll be doing on the Evening Light this weekend. Me either. So let me just say in advance, please overlook all of the errors in the upcoming edition and just plan on enjoying the pictures. ;-) The only consolation I have is found in all of this is the knowledge that I really and truly have been trying my best. My best just happens to have a lot of Smith blood in the works. It equals obliviousness, which equals blunders.

James, would you say I've made a PLETHORA of blunders this week???

"Oh, yes. You've made a plethora!!!"

:-)

James has been good to forgive me and even thank me for my work, riddled with errors as it may be. (I added that last part; it wasn't part of what he told me, though it's no doubt what he was thinking--ha!)

Let's see, what else??? We're preparing for a house full of company again this weekend, so that makes me very happy. I've been washing and changing lots of sheets and feeling all motel-maid-like again. I love it. :-) We did have one cancellation tonight. I hate that! We'll really miss those who can't make it, but we're looking forward to all who will.

Today we've done some baking and cleaning, but there is LOTS more to do tomorrow! I'm so thankful for Katie. That girl is SUCH a help around the house nowadays. She's WAY more help than I was at eleven years old, that's for sure! She made a double batch of sugar cookies all by herself today (she'd made some last week and they turned out GREAT) and got them all frosted. She takes care of lots of the dishes for me and is capable of doing just about any household chore I may need her assistance with. She's such a good girl and I'm blessed to have her. :-)

Okay, it's late and I need sleep. Please pray for a blessed Convention this weekend! (And please, please, PLEASE pray for Ladies' Retreat. We're three weeks away and I really, really need direction. We've got a theme and a guest speaker, both of which I feel great about, but there are still LOTS of things to finalize. I feel peaceful about it... but urgent! Is that possible?! Ha! Please pray for God to help me to know what to do. Thank you!)

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

You surprised me with a new post! YAY!
You certainly have been busy. And in spite of a few boo-boos you've been strikingly productive. Congratulations!
I'm praying for your Retreat, along with mine and Emilee's. I haven't heard recently how Emilee's is coming along. So far I have a Guest Speaker (FINALLY!!!) and a Devotion leader. That's it. I haven't even printed out my applications. I know God is hearing all of our prayers and He will meet the needs of the ladies in each of these Retreats. He's faithful.
Have a great Convention this weekend. And enjoy your company.

Dave and Melissa said...

:-) don't be too hard on yourself. You are an amazing wife!! And I'm sure James can see that. You are still human ;)

Kristal Cox said...

I am so sorry that I was a thorn in your flesh! You didn't have to re-print all of those just because my name was wrong! It didn't bother me last year and it wouldn't have bothered me this year! Matter of fact, I don't even remember it being wrong last year, shows how much I pay attention, huh? Haha!