Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ready to Go!

...to Alabama, that is! Of course, we've been READY to go to Alabama for some time now. ;-) Unfortunately, we're only making a trip to Alabama this time.

Yesterday I had a great big list of things to do that would make today a much easier day. Unfortunately, all I accomplished yesterday was all of the laundry and ironing. Oh, well. It was a start.

Today was the big septic inspection day. I really, really like the guy who came out. I stood and chatted with him (over that nasty smelling stuff--bleagh!) most of the time he was here. He was so, so nice and I was able to talk with him about the Lord just a bit. He told me He found the Lord a few years ago and his life has just never been the same. I asked how he found the Lord and he said that he found the Lord sitting on the couch one day. HA! I didn't ask for clarification. "Did you find THE LORD sitting on your couch?! Or you found Him while YOU were sitting on the couch???" ;-) Anyway, I wasn't real sure what to do with the conversation after that, so I ended up giving him a Saved to the Uttermost tract. Ha! Actually, the conversation sort of veered after that, so I gave him the tract because I had been unable to clarify if he had actually repented of his sins and all that. I wrote Brother Chris' phone number on the back and he acted like he really appreciated it. Pray for Bill. :-)

As for the inspection itself, he hasn't actually completed it yet. It's a long, grueling story and I'm sick and tired of long grueling stories about this house. In the end, the septic tank is not in the greatest shape, but Bill thinks he's got a relatively cheap and easy fix for us that will enable us to avoid replacing the whole shabang (at $14,000, remember!)... so now we do some more waiting and praying and hoping for the best! He'll work on it this week while we're away, then send off the paperwork to make sure the county approves it for the sale of the house.

The other major project of the day was eating as many leftovers as possible. ;-) That project actually started yesterday. We're trying to eat everything that would spoil, turn green, or grow legs while we're away on our trip. Sounds appetizing, hu?! Ha! We did well. I glanced in the fridge a few minutes ago and all I found was half a tub of whipped cream and a few odds and ends. That left me with no choice but to open the freezer and dish out some Blue Bell Cookies and Cream. After all, it might grow ice crystals while we're away so it's only my duty to eat some before we go. ;-)

Got to make sure the house is show worthy while we're away (so tired of that!), so I got the den and the boys' room vacuumed, the wood floors swept and swiffered, and both bathrooms shining. I'm washing the towels and bath mats right now. I got everybody packed and even persuaded James to pack earlier (he usually waits until LATE on the night before we leave, or early the next morning) so I was even able to load the van! Wa-Hoo! Love that. :-) The only thing left to do (aside from folding the towels and throwing down the mats) is vacuuming our room. I can't decide if I'm going to do that tonight or in the morning. It probably depends on whether James is in bed or not when I go in there. If he is, I'll wait until morning and use the vacuum as his wake up call. :-)

So we'll leave tomorrow for Alabama. We'll stay in a hotel somewhere along the way, though we have no idea where. We'll get to Bessemer sometime on Thursday, but we have no idea when. We've never made this trip before, so we're planning loosely with all of that "no idea" stuff. ;-) The Powells, some members there in Bessemer, have been so kind as to allow us the use of their fifth wheel while we're there. It will be parked at the church next to Mom & Dad's camper. FUN. :-) I think I mentioned this last time, but we are soooooo excited about this trip! It's about time we made it. ;-) I have serious doubts about there being wi-fi available in the church parking lot, so I don't know if I'll be able to get online while we're away. If not, we'll be back... oh, sometime! Probably Friday or Saturday of next week. If you don't hear from me before then, you'll know why. :-)

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I've already had my first prayer today for your safe travel. There will be more sprinkled throughout the day, I'm sure.
I'm glad you shared Bill's name so I don't have to continue to call him the "septic guy." I'm picturing those sewer urchin guys from the Tick. HA!
We'll be leaving here Friday morning. My house won't be in "show worthy" condition, I'm sure. It SURE isn't today! I'm hoping to start wallpapering the guest room, and get far enough around the room that I can at least put the bed back in there, and get it out of the other guest room.
--Hope you get to see some great fall color. It's starting to get pretty around here.

Tammy Washburn said...

Praying for your safe trip.

Unfortunately we don't have free WiFi in the church parking lot. There are a few restaurants close by who do tho'.

However, you will be parked on the other side of the church in the grass..the pretty side of the church. Bro. Hopkins told the church not to bother ya'll and give you privacy while ya'll are there...so if you do want company, you will have to wander into the parking lot and flag someone down. hahhahahahha!

cokelady said...

Thanks for the prayers, Mom. And I'm sure Bill would appreciate, if he knew, that you can now stop invisioning him as a Sewer Urchin. Ha!

Sister Tammy, are you for real?! Brother Hopkins told people to not BOTHER us?! How sad!!! Ha! You know how I love to be bothered by PEOPLE. I'll have to march over the the parking lot to find them, I guess. ;-)

Okay, I'll be honest... I'm actually not very social until I get to know people. I'm one of those quiet, awkward type of people when I'm not among close friends. I hate being in a crowd of people who all know each other, but whom I don't know. That just means I'll have to "get to know" some folks as soon as possible--I don't like hiding in the corner. ;-)