Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pennsylvania, Day 2

The kids played long and hard yesterday and fell into bed exhausted and happy. Katie and Joe were up at a reasonable hour, but Sam just kept sleeping and sleeping and sleeping. I finally had to go get him up at about 9:30 because we had an appointment for haircuts at 10:00. He wasn’t feeling well and it showed. It took him a couple of glasses of juice and a few hours to start to come around, but since then he’s seemed okay the rest of the day.

Today I did a dreadfully scary thing. I had my hair cut by a total stranger. I’ve heard so many horror stories and I was scared to death it would be a major butcher job. I’m not sure it really matters with my hair! Ha! I had Stacey give me some layers last year and though I think I’m done with them and ready to go back to normal I just couldn’t bear to have the lady cut everything off at the length of the shortest layer level, so I asked her to just touch up what was already there and try to take the split ends off. I don’t know how it looks (haven’t tried to curl it or fix it since then—I just pulled it back in a clip for the day), but it feels soooooooooo much better. She took off Katie’s split ends and gave Joe and Sam cuts, too—all for $30. EVERYTHING is so much cheaper here. Meat, cheese, fresh produce, haircuts, you name it. :-) Of course, I’m not real thrilled with the boys cuts and will probably try to do some touch up to them before the Assembly!

After the haircuts we loaded up the whole crowd, grabbed lunch at KFC, then headed on to the Huntington County Fair. It was great. They had TONS of animals—so much more than the fairs I’ve been to. Katie and I really enjoyed walking through the horse buildings. So many beautiful horses! But, of course, it makes us want one. :-) Katie enjoyed the rabbits and we all liked the sheep. The cows are HUGE and their utters sized to match (it was AMAZING!) and the pigs always look so happy. I got a picture of one very happy pig. Of course, I can’t post it with this dial up connection…

They have an antiques building along with all of the usual quilts and flowers and produce and art and whatever else belongs at the fair. There is just a TON of really neat stuff to see. Unfortunately we didn’t enjoy the whole fair experience as much as we had anticipated because it was soooooooooo unbearably hot! It had to be close to 100 degrees and a decent amount of humidity made it just miserable. BLEAGH. We got some sno-cone kind of things (Italian water ice) to cool us down and it helped a bit… but not enough! It wasn’t long before we stopped for some water and lemonade, too. Then, in a stupid effort to do the traditional thing, somebody opted to buy a funnel cake. How dumb is that?! You’re all standing there with sweat pouring off of you, panting like a bunch of dogs, and then you go buy something fresh out of boiling oil, deep fried and “heavy” feeling, covered in powdered sugar. That’s about the LAST thing you feel like eating on a day like today! (Half of it is sitting on the counter in the kitchen right now, proving the stupidity of that purchase.) James’ Dad signed up to try to win a tractor. Joe DID win a gold fish. GREAT. What are we going to do with a gold fish?! It came in a little, itty-bitty cup. We have nothing to keep it in, no food—and it’s certainly not making the rest of this trip with us! We decided we’d better leave the fair quickly before anybody won anything else. ;-) For those wondering, we found a gallon sized jar to keep the fish in and are planning on buying some fish food tomorrow. We’ll leave “Jerry” here with James’ folks and they can take care of him for Joe. I’m sure they’re just as excited as we were. Ha!

We came home and I crashed for about an hour, then woke up with a slight headache. I’m thinking it was due to the immense heat. I’m just not cut out for that kind of thing and I’m a bit of a wimp about it. Okay, so I’m a great big wimp about it! We were still stuffed from all we’d had earlier in the day, but it was dinner time so James’ Mom cooked some hot sausage for sandwiches and tacos for the kids. I ate way too much, as I always seem to do here. James took the kids walking “through the forest” to Aunt Betty’s house and the rest of us drove over to join them all for a visit. It was nice. Afterwards, we went to the ice cream joint (I FEEL SOOOOOOOOOOO STUFFED AND FAT AND MISERABLE!!! BLEAGH!) before coming home. The boys smelled like crawdads so they took showers while Katie pulled out her sculpting clay and created for a while. We ended the evening by watching a documentary on monster fish that have attacked people. Right up Joe's alley. The rest of us endured it. Now everyone is in bed except James. He's in the other room studying for his Assembly message. :-)

And that’s about it from here! Tomorrow is Wednesday, the day the Amish folks in Belleville set up shop and do their flea market sort of thing that they do. We’ll go to that, of course, because it’s what we always do. Besides, Sam has had $5 that he’s been itching to spend for about a week now—he’s DYING to go to Belleville! ;-)

FOUR DAYS UNTIL IYC!!!!!

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Cow's "utters"??? HAHAHAHAHA!! --Enjoyed reading the rest of the post, too. The fair sounds great--sounds like what fairs SHOULD be. I remember being at the State Fair in Pueblo once when it was terrifically hot and miserable. In fact, I'm not sure I ever went back. This heat is getting very tiresome. I've checked the weather at Ridgecrest and it's supposed to be about 10 degrees cooler there than here in Cleveland. That will be a welcome relief!
Sounds like the kids are having a great time and making good memories (unlike the genre of memories they made at the Arch. HA!).

cokelady said...

Ha! Remember I'd suffered heat stroke and had a headache when I wrote this. ;-) Maybe what I MEANT to say was that the cows' udders were utterly massive! (Too bad spell check isn't smart enough to check for wrong usage of properly spelled words!)

This fair HAD to be as hot as whatever you experienced in Pueblo, except there it would have been dry and dusty (adding to the "I'm so dry I think I'll shrivel up and die" feeling) and here it was heavy and muggy (adding to the "I think I'm going to suffocate" feeling)... either way, I know I have no desire to ever go back--no matter how much great stuff was there! Ha!

Vicki Smith said...

Yooooo hooooooo! Where's Day 3, and Day 4, etc? I've been WAITING!